… And this is NOT an April Fool’s sighting

April 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 26 Comments

We can say that with relative certainty because this is the SECOND West Seattle sighting of this exotic bird that’s been brought to our attention in the past few days. The first one – from Scott, who saw it Friday at 16th and Kenyon – was a little too blurry to use, but when Chelsea sent this photo from Delridge and Webster this morning, we thought it might be time to see if anyone is missing this long-tailed bird that she described as a golden pheasant.

1. A golden pheasant, a miniature pig, a 40′ poodle…

Comment by Heather — 1:00 pm April 1, 2013 #

2. I heard about this being spotted near Sanislo Elem.- but that was quite a few weeks ago!

Comment by sam-c — 1:27 pm April 1, 2013 #

3. The day is far from over, but Heather wins for best post of the day!

Comment by Sonoma — 1:42 pm April 1, 2013 #

4. Golden Pheasant. Isn’t that a bar in Fairwood?

Comment by Rick — 2:13 pm April 1, 2013 #

5. Chupacabra!

Comment by DTK — 2:19 pm April 1, 2013 #

6. Yum!!!

Comment by marty — 2:30 pm April 1, 2013 #

7. Oh, the flies I could tie…

Comment by Chuck & Sally's Van Man — 3:19 pm April 1, 2013 #

8. What a beautiful bird, hope no one harms it and it finds it’s way home.

Comment by mehatemejob — 4:41 pm April 1, 2013 #

9. My friend and I saw this bird mid January!!! We were in a very quiet Prius and were driving up near Sanislo. We tried to snap a photo of this bird but it eluded us! We even went so far as to try flushing it out of the wooded area near the SE corner of the Sanislo parking lot. I liken the experience to a Bigfoot sighting because I had a hard time describing it and if my friend hadn’t of been there to see it I don’t think anyone would have believed me. I have driven by that corner on several occasions in hopes that I would spot it again and to hopefully get a picture of it. Wow, I hope it finds it way home and I can sleep at night knowing that my eyes did not receive me.

Comment by Jen Zutis — 6:17 pm April 1, 2013 #

10. I was the friend with Jen Zutis whom saw the bird as well. I was also the one that rustled thru the bushes to try to flesh him out. I knew in order to keep Jen from losing sleep I would have to do everything I could to make it reappear, so we wouldn’t think we were crazy. Thanks for the pic you have put our minds at ease.

Comment by Christine — 7:13 pm April 1, 2013 #

11. Do not be fooled: This is a North Korean drone, designed specifically to drive Seattle residents into fits of misguided enviromentalism, not unlike the species of super intelligent coyotes they introduced a few years ago. They are also behind the meltdown of Michelle Shocked and the dollar menu at Burger King. Mayor McBeard is also a flesh covered android code named: “Bacalava” and is controlled from a cell phone by Nick LiCata’s mom (she isn’t very good at it, but is practicing by playing “Call of Duty” in her spare time.). The pieces are coming together like a jigsaw at the rodeo! Watch the skies!

Comment by Cranky Westie — 7:16 pm April 1, 2013 #

12. This bird is probably the same one that’s been seen for a few years all over the west side. Last year it was in my sisters backyard in White Center.

Comment by Jason Hartle — 8:48 pm April 1, 2013 #

13. All I know is, two unrelated sightings landed in our inbox in the past three days! and that’s why we mentioned it …

Comment by WSB — 8:53 pm April 1, 2013 #

14. Cranky Westie,
    Keep up the postings, I truly need the laughs!! Love your sense of humor.

Comment by LongTimer WS — 9:21 pm April 1, 2013 #

15. Damn!!!!
    I’m heading to the Sanislo area.
    I feel like some pheasant under glass for dinner tomorrow night!!!

Comment by Ex-Westwood Resident — 9:21 pm April 1, 2013 #

16. Looks like someone left the aviary door open.

Comment by WestSide45 — 9:37 pm April 1, 2013 #

17. It is a male red golden pheasant

Comment by westman — 9:51 pm April 1, 2013 #

18. The Golden Pheasant or “Chinese Pheasant”, (Chrysolophus pictus) is a gamebird of the order Galliformes (gallinaceous birds) and the family Phasianidae. It is native to forests in mountainous areas of western China, but feral populations have been established in the United Kingdom and elsewhere.
    It is an invasive species and must be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Comment by TheStraightDope — 10:59 pm April 1, 2013 #

19. @ the straight dope. Your just another person who likes to “terminate” beautiful things. Just because it had a tendency to become abundant doesn’t mean that it needs to die. There are plenty of good alternatives for keeping this lovely fella from breeding while keeping him safe, healthy, happy, and away from harm.

Comment by Kip — 11:37 am April 2, 2013 #

20. To reproduce does’t it need a bird of the same species?
    Not like us Humans who will reproduce with just about any make or model?!

Comment by mehatemejob — 1:17 pm April 2, 2013 #

21. Hey Kip,

Yup, it’s called a CAGE, and if the owner isn’t responsible enough to keep an eye on the bird or take care of it, then it is THEIR fault if it comes to harm.

Comment by Ex-Westwood Resident — 2:08 pm April 2, 2013 #

22. It looks healthy — must be OK if it has been seen around town for months now.

Comment by elaine — 5:59 pm April 2, 2013 #

23. @ ex-wood re… I don’t disagree with you, however that wasn’t the original debate.

Comment by Kip — 9:10 pm April 2, 2013 #

24. Besides aren’t all wild birds feral?

Comment by Kip — 9:21 pm April 2, 2013 #

25. I saw this guy (or girl) again! Yesterday afternoon around 7pm crossing Sylvan Way near the Home Depot. The poor thing almost got hit by several cars, and I myself nearly got rear-ended trying to get a good look at him – I hope he continues to survive!

Comment by Laura — 7:14 am April 3, 2013 #

26. I saw him last night around the West Seattle Golf Course. He is beautiful. I hope to see him again.

Comment by Rita — 10:09 am April 12, 2013 #