Video – Last call at Alki Tavern: ‘There’ll never be another place like this’

March 18, 2013 at 9:10 am | In West Seattle history, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

(Video and photos by Nick Adams for WSB)
The Alki Tavern‘s long farewell – dating back to the January announcement of its plan to close – ended late last night, with the last “last call” after 38 years. WSB contributing photojournalist Nick Adams was there; his video includes final thoughts from proprietor Gill McLynne, and scenes from the final night and weekend. We’ll be adding one last round of photos; in the meantime, if you missed any of these galleries from the final days/nights:
*Seafair Pirates’ visit
*Last ‘Taco Thursday’
*Wednesday night memorabilia auction

ADDED 10:16 AM: The last look at last night, in photos:

Merlyn BB, right, dances with friends.

(Above, Roman Benninghoven kisses Heather Mason.)

(Above, Jerry claps during the last call at Alki Tavern. He has been coming to the bar for the last 30 years.)

1. : (.

Comment by Martha — 11:45 am March 18, 2013 #

2. I used to work I the Fed building downtown and would stare out my window at a blue spot in the middle of all the tan & grey. I would say to myself, and some coworkers, “one of these days I’ll be sitting over there staring at you guys. Then I resigned and moved to Alki. It was fun to sit and enjoy a beer while staring at the most awesome view of downtown Seattle. I’ll never forget that little blue spot that brought me so much peace!

Comment by QQman — 12:52 pm March 18, 2013 #

3. I got so drunk I fell under the urinal and nobody picked me up. Until the next day. Uff da. And I thought it was rough in Montana. LOL.

Comment by Fitness Freak — 5:21 pm March 18, 2013 #

4. No mixed use condo development will ever capture that spark, in that place again. One more West Seattle butt extinguished in the ashtray of yuppie greed.

Comment by cranky Westie — 11:58 am March 19, 2013 #

5. We’re definitely going to miss the Tavern. I’ll miss seeing Pat and the gang at one of my favorite spots. Farewell..

Comment by Chow Down — 2:29 pm March 19, 2013 #

6. ‘There’ll never be another place like this’ – thank god, what a sh-t hole!

Comment by momo — 4:15 pm March 19, 2013 #