Ex-Allstar Fitness, now West Seattle Athletic Club: Update from new ownership, including memberships’ status

March 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm | In West Seattle news, WS Health Club/ex-Athletic Club/ex-Allstar Fitness | 39 Comments

For the first time since the Friday hearing at which a federal bankruptcy judge approved the sale of the former Allstar Fitness, we’ve heard from its new ownership. Sam Adams‘ company Oregon Athletic Clubs is renaming the club West Seattle Athletic Club, as we had reported after speaking with him March 10th, and we now know that company’s president is a former West Seattleite named Don Pak. He has just sent us this notice – which he says will be e-mailed to members as well as posted at the club – with information including the latest on what they are doing about prepaid memberships:

It is with great pleasure that we announce the following:

West Seattle Athletic Club has acquired Allstar Fitness and we are honored to serve the West Seattle community. West Seattle Athletic club (formerly All-Star Fitness) is the newest addition to the Oregon Athletic Club Family, the fastest growing chain of premier destination health clubs in the Pacific Northwest.

What does this all mean to you as a former All Star member?

There will not be any interruptions with your current monthly membership or changes to your monthly rates! This means you can carry on using this great facility as you have always done while also taking advantage of the new upgrades to equipment and services that we have planned.

What do we have planned for your club?

In the near future we will be replacing equipment, increasing services, and refreshing/updating the building. As a part of our new Group exercise (GX) programs, we will be adding classes from the world renowned Les Mills programs! We’re not just focusing on the adults either. At the new OAC, we want to continue and expand our youth programs to provide more options for the entire family! We will be adding amenities to the kids club such as well. The new OAC will be implementing the kidcheck software program to help ensure a safe and easy check in process. Take a look… http://www.kidcheck.com. Our goal is to provide an outstanding member experience to all of our members.

What about pre-paid memberships?

Great News, as promised, The West Seattle Athletic Club will be honoring all prepaid membership that expires on or before December 31st 2014.

If you have a membership that expires after December 31st 2014, please contact us at memberservicesWSAC@oaclubs.com. If we do not hear from you, a representative will be in contact with you to discuss your membership on an individual basis.

What happens next?

To use your new West Seattle Athletic Club membership just come into the club, update your billing and contact information, and enjoy your local neighborhood club. You will be issued a new membership card and hopefully meet some of the new staff members that will be here to help you reach your fitness goals.

We are thrilled to personally welcome you to the new West Seattle Athletic Club and are excited to provide you with a world-class experience. If you have any questions regarding the transition, please contact your club general manager Ramon Vasquez. He is at the club or can be reached at ramon@oaclubs.com. We would like to thank you for being a member.

Yours in Health,
The Oregon Athletic Club team!

This is the latest chapter in what began when the former owners’ company West Seattle Fitness filed Chapter 10 bankruptcy, quietly, last August. After tips from members, we first reported on the situation in November. The club was put up for sale in February, and the sale was approved by U.S. District Court Judge Karen Overstreet last Friday (see the signed court document here). WSB ongoing coverage dating back to November is archived here (reverse chronological order).

1. This all sounds so promising! I’m particularly excited for the Les Mills programs. A friend of mine is an avid fan and instructor and I’ve been curious to try them out.

Comment by Kim — 12:59 pm March 27, 2013 #

2. OUTSTANDING!

Comment by S M — 1:07 pm March 27, 2013 #

3. Interesting. My daughter is 11 and would love to come with us and use a couple of the machines (treadmill and stationary bike). I wonder if they’ll reduce the allowed age from 13 while they’re expanding their kids offerings? (I hope, I hope.)

Comment by VNG — 1:16 pm March 27, 2013 #

4. Great news. we’re going to the club tonight. glad to see it is NOT allRATS anymore. Can’t want to see the new changes

Comment by pat carr — 1:37 pm March 27, 2013 #

5. I’m looking forward to the upgrades and to a meaningful reply to my email asking for contract clarification. The pre-paid contract dates are 12/16/2012 – 12/15/2015. The only reply I’ve received so far is ‘let’s have a meeting,’ which seems like wheel-spinning. Either they are honoring ALL, SOME, or NONE of the dates of this contract. They don’t seem to be able to tell me in writing what they intend.

Comment by Irukandji — 1:52 pm March 27, 2013 #

6. Good news West Seattle Athletic Club! Can’t wait to see the improvements. THANK YOU for honoring prepaid memberships and THANK YOU for saving our club. Also, please don’t change the yoga and NIA classes unless you plan to add more. West Seattle’s the only club to offer low light classes with the perfect amount of mind/body/healing qualities. The spirit, as well as the body, like a good workout too!

Comment by kate — 2:03 pm March 27, 2013 #

7. I would love to see some kids programs like baby swim classes or a simple mom and me zumba.

Comment by AEL — 2:10 pm March 27, 2013 #

8. This is very promising. Great news!

Comment by Wes C. Adle — 2:11 pm March 27, 2013 #

9. Masters swim team!

Comment by Carraig na Splinkeen — 3:26 pm March 27, 2013 #

10. Any chance you can open earlier on weekends? Please

Comment by Alki Beach Guy — 3:43 pm March 27, 2013 #

11. I feel happy just reading this! All great news…

Comment by NeighborMom — 4:04 pm March 27, 2013 #

12. Ditto the opening earlier on weekends, 8 is too late.

Comment by Carraig na Splinkeen — 4:15 pm March 27, 2013 #

13. Ha Ha Ha! I tried telling people to calm down, but this day and age, people love nothing more than a good freakout followed by some good grandstanding. I knew he wasn’t going to cancel any memberships, that would have been suicide.

Comment by Big G — 4:23 pm March 27, 2013 #

14. Hope we have out own private personal steam rooms!

Comment by Yoyo — 4:29 pm March 27, 2013 #

15. I grew up in Hillsboro, OR where the OAC Hawthorn Farms Athletic Club is located. It is SO nice. I’m hoping the WSAC turns out just as lovely. If it does, they may get some new members!

Comment by LC — 4:59 pm March 27, 2013 #

16. please more yoga classes, a few years ago there were outstanding teachers and a few classes a day. Amelia packed 50+ in her classes consistently. we LOVED her, bring back some power flow classes! Give Elizabeth more classes and pay her what she is worth. I know a few people who wil be rejoining if you do.

Comment by Snowflake — 5:03 pm March 27, 2013 #

17. I’ve never been there but the property’s huge — is there room to build an ice rink as part of that club? West Seattle needs ice!

Comment by Puckered — 6:30 pm March 27, 2013 #

18. I sure hope they keep their promise. Today a guy in front of me was riding a bicycle and the petal and crank flew off the bike. I had to laugh. I couldn’t help it. Luckily he was ok. It will cost at least 1-2 million to fix that place up. It’s in bad shape.

Comment by Coleman — 7:03 pm March 27, 2013 #

19. A nice upgrade would be free wifi

Comment by sayheywillie — 7:04 pm March 27, 2013 #

20. Sweet. Can I guy Sam Adams a Sam Adams? Cheers!

Comment by supernova72 — 7:12 pm March 27, 2013 #

21. Great News, My wife is a gym rat. She loved All Star and will LOVE West Seattle Athletic Club. She is s keeper and pretty much, a non-whiner.

And she pays, promptly. Always.

Comment by NorthernPacific Stopped there — 8:27 pm March 27, 2013 #

22. Seyheywillie, they’ve had free wifi… just have to get the password from the front desk.

Comment by DiverLaura — 9:28 pm March 27, 2013 #

23. Would love to see some hula hoop fitness classes added!!!

Comment by Woopy — 9:49 pm March 27, 2013 #

24. Would love to see rates discounted for seniors, disabled and the childless as other gyms do. Expaned lap swim would be nice. Can’t wait for the pool to be thoroughly cleaned. There was green stuff on the bottom of it today.

Comment by Rarejem — 11:48 pm March 27, 2013 #

25. Sam Adams is a better man than I — he’s taking an absolute bath on so many prepaid (i.e., paid to someone else) contracts.
    If he now fixes everything that’s broken, he may be qualify as the Patron Saint of West Seattle.

Comment by Mel — 12:20 am March 28, 2013 #

26. The membership changeover is going incredibly smoothly. It took 5-10 minutes, and I got a new memership card. I haven’t had a card for the club in years! It will be nice to check in using a bar code scanner rather than the cumbersome look-up process they’ve been using! Fingers crossed for continued improvements. This is a club that should be making money!

Comment by Amy Thomson — 6:17 am March 28, 2013 #

27. Bravo Allstar Athletic Club, Sam Adams and Don Pak. I am a huge Allstar fan and am delighted to hear you are leaving the membership intact and keeping on its incredible instructors! Thanks WSB for keeping us all up to date!

Comment by Cathy — 7:23 am March 28, 2013 #

28. I did notice they have cut some of the personal training staff. Or maybe they left. Who knows. Either way, it’s probably a good move. Several of the trainer had very few clients and it always seemed like some of them were just hanging around the gym. They were clearly overstaffed.

Comment by Brewmeister — 10:22 am March 28, 2013 #

29. When it comes to fitness in the world, we need help! In the end, a healthy diet and exercise are what people need. We just need to find a way to convince them all of that.

Comment by Joe Malone — 3:22 pm March 28, 2013 #

30. Thanks Diverlaura for the info. I asked before about the wifi and they said at the front desk that nobody knows what the password is except the vendor. Now I can call them on their B.S.

Comment by sayheywillie — 5:50 pm March 28, 2013 #

31. No one has been talking about the swim lessons here, and I want the new owners to know McKenna is excellent. She has the poise and patience of a professional well beyond her years. I haven’t worked with the other instructor yet, but she seems to get amazing results, too. Please do whatever it takes to keep these gals around, and give them a cleaner pool to teach in!

Comment by NeighborMom — 6:01 pm March 28, 2013 #

32. I agree with NeighborMom both they employees and members deserve a clean pool.

Comment by Rarejem — 10:25 pm March 28, 2013 #

33. AEL, they already have baby swim classes!! Every Friday and Saturday morning.

Comment by Julia — 12:14 am March 29, 2013 #

34. Brewmeister, at least two of the personal trainers with loyal followings decided to set up their own studio in the Hall at Fauntleroy and weren’t open to an offer to be hired by WSAC.

Comment by JTB — 9:21 am March 29, 2013 #

35. Please prioritize the women’s locker room for the to-do list as it is a shambles. Looking forward to the new owner’s commitment to restore this club. It has been a great place to workout. And, Dawn, the yoga instructor, is a keeper. Thanks!!

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 9:46 am March 29, 2013 #

36. I’m glad to hear the gym will stay open and hopefully be upgraded, but seriously disappointed in the new rate. I’ve been a member of allstar forever and just found out that my membership rate (which happens to be expiring next week) is going to cost more than double what I’ve been paying. so yeah, great that they’re not killing paid memberships but be prepared… as soon as your time comes you’ll likely have to pay a lot more. very bummed…

Comment by h — 4:41 pm March 29, 2013 #

37. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Once the systems are fully in place, the communication will be so great between members and staff. I promise you will not have to go to the blog for your information. Please let us know at the club when you have concerns or e-mail me directly at ramon@oaclubs.com. H, please call me at the club regarding your rate. The rate we are currently charging is actually in line with what this club has always charged since its opening, so I would love to discuss why that is not the case with you. Thanks!

Comment by Ramon — 6:17 pm March 29, 2013 #

38. Interesting, Ramon is not listed as the General Manager of the club on the new website. So I doubt emailing him would do any good. When I was in today, it seems that a lot of the sales team has changed unless the old timers have been sent out for retraining.

Comment by Cal — 9:55 pm April 3, 2013 #

39. Ramon is not the GM but is one of the folks who work at WSAC–I should know as he just processed our memberships last night. Your statement “doubt emailing him would do any good” is incorrect. The email is valid and the staff (and the owner) ARE interested in hearing from us especially since they’ve improved other athletic clubs they’ve acquired/opened via feedback from customers. Also, Ramon had mentioned several of the changes/upgrades the owner wants to do with the club and they all sound great! There only two membership rates offered when we re-joined which are standard from what I’ve come across in the past (note, my spouse and I have been members off and on for 10-years at All-Star Fitness). We look forward to the new management and upgrades at WSAC!

Comment by New Member — 1:35 pm April 5, 2013 #