Where might recreational marijuana be sold legally in West Seattle?

(Click image for full-size, zoomable PDF of the map)
As the state continues gathering public feedback on how to set up the Initiative 502-mandated framework for a recreational-marijuana industry (follow the process here), other governments are looking at how it might affect their jurisdictions. And citizens are wondering where marijuana stores might eventually open. A recent story in The Stranger included a map drawn up by the city Department of Planning and Development, showing a hypothetical overlay of where marijuana businesses might be prohibited or allowed. It’s based on city rules in development for medical-marijuana zoning, and I-502 outlines for location restrictions on recreational-marijuana shops. We subsequently requested and received the map, which DPD explains is not on their website “as it was just an internal analysis (although we are happy to share it).” DPD’s Brennon Staley continued with a caveat: “I just want to highlight that the map is only an estimate of how City and State regulations would be implemented based on proposed City restrictions and the 1000-foot buffer rule contained in Initiative 502. The buffer restrictions will be determined by the Liquor Control Board at the time of license application and will be reviewed based on the known location of certain uses at the time of application. The map is not an official zoning map and should not be used for determining compliance with existing or potential regulations.”

Yellow denotes where both recreational and medical marijuana businesses could be located; light blue zones, potential locations for medical marijuana businesses; gray zones, neither. The map doesn’t get to street-name level, but if we’re reading it correctly, it looks like the potential zones for both types of marijuana outlets might include the south Delridge Triangle, Upper Morgan, Harbor Island, and a couple small sections of California SW between The Junction and Morgan Junction.

As for when the official rules will be in place – DPD’s medical-cannabis-zoning page suggests an ordinance could go to the City Council any time now; the state timeline says retailer rules will be adopted in late summer.

33 Replies to "Where might recreational marijuana be sold legally in West Seattle? "

• comment-avatar
    Noelle February 5, 2013 (1:13 am)

So Harbor Island will Harbor Pot stores?

• comment-avatar
    Frank February 5, 2013 (4:25 am)

I voted against 502 but since it passed we should respect that and set up reasonable zoning laws

• comment-avatar
    onion February 5, 2013 (5:59 am)

Dang. And i was counting on finding some boutique blends at Metro.

• comment-avatar
    Alki Area February 5, 2013 (7:37 am)

I LOVE seeing that all of Harbor Island (which no one goes to unless you work there) is entirely zoned for pot sales. At the port…good idea. This is the DUMBEST map I have ever seen. Stop treating pot as if it’s MAGICAL. It’s not infested with demons or cursed by witches, it’s JUST a drug, and LESS harmful that f**king alcohol (look up ANY stats you want) which is allowed to be sold EVERYWHERE in the city. Again, for crying out loud, I can go to CostCo and buy a 50 bottles of wine, 20 bottles of vodka, and 12 cartons of cigarettes, but selling marijuana? Will THAT’S just TOO crazy of an idea.

I’m embarrassed by the continual non-factual non-science based reasoning used by our society who bases laws on magic and superstition instead. (sigh)

• comment-avatar
    Mn February 5, 2013 (8:09 am)

Ill make sure not to go near harbor island
    Stoned people driving cars
    Great

• comment-avatar
      WSB February 5, 2013 (8:19 am)

Just a reminder that as noted in the story, this is the city’s analysis of how it MIGHT MAYBE POSSIBLY look based on what they’re working on and what the “not within x feet of an x” verbiage in the state initiative said. Reality might take a different turn.

• comment-avatar
    JoAnne February 5, 2013 (8:17 am)

Keep that garbage out of our neighborhoods.

• comment-avatar
    DW February 5, 2013 (8:18 am)

• comment-avatar
    Robert February 5, 2013 (8:39 am)

Alki Area,

I just like to point out that Costco appears to be in the Recreational Sale zone – but you’ll have to buy entire bales of it. :-)

• comment-avatar
    datamuse February 5, 2013 (9:03 am)

Robert: LOL

Mn: I guarantee you there are already stoned people driving cars everywhere…

DW: Please define “legitimate” in this context. Can a person become legitimate when they go out to buy Cheetos because they’ve got the munchies from being stoned? :D

• comment-avatar
    Lindsey February 5, 2013 (9:13 am)

Mn, I believe under the new law, a person may not consume in a public place or the facility it is purchased from. Which means you might be able to buy it on Harbor Island, but you have to take it home to enjoy. Can someone please confirm this?

JoAnne, one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. I am looking forward to the strict set up and implementation of this new law…and then following those laws and participating in this recreation. With any luck, I might not be your neighbor, but chances are you have ones who are like me.

• comment-avatar
    Joe February 5, 2013 (10:25 am)

“Keep that garbage out of our neighborhoods.”

“Hopefully, no one in the main retail centers will lease to pot businesses – need to keep them away from the legitimate business and shoppers there.”

Meanwhile, in 1933 on West Seattle Blog…

The law is the law, for better or worse.

• comment-avatar
    B February 5, 2013 (10:54 am)

What happened to the state liquor store in the California junction? Was it sold off? I was wondering if they’d put the pot store there.

• comment-avatar
      WSB February 5, 2013 (11:48 am)

That would be Capco Beverages (WSB sponsor). Which even has a coupon on our Coupons page!

• comment-avatar
    JWT February 5, 2013 (12:00 pm)

Looks like Marination is potentially in!

• comment-avatar
    M February 5, 2013 (12:09 pm)

Remeber it’s still illegal under Federal Law..

• comment-avatar
    alkiobserver February 5, 2013 (1:21 pm)

I am pumped that Washington is on the vanguard of repealing the nonsensical prohibition of marijuana. This is a good step in the right direction.

• comment-avatar
    Ryan February 5, 2013 (1:30 pm)

I don’t get why they even have to have certain zones? I look forward to the day that it is sold in stores just like alcohol and tobacco. The “keep it out of our neighborhoods” argument is just dumb as I’m sure there are people selling it illegally in most neighborhoods. I’d rather it be sold by legitimate businesses rather than out of somebody’s backdoor…

• comment-avatar
    Charles February 5, 2013 (1:46 pm)

All of you people saying you don’t want it near your home or near legitimate businesses need to smoke a joint and calm down. It’s no worse than beer and wine being sold in the supermarket around the corner from your home. In fact it’s better, people don’t get violent on cannabis. Chill Winston

• comment-avatar
    Brandon February 5, 2013 (2:28 pm)

It’s funny that people that don’t believe that weed should be legal never have anything besides rhetoric to back up the prohibition to it. I hope someone who opposes the law states a legitimate reason that weed should not be legal. Let’s not discuss the state selling it because that will probably get repealed by the feds, but they are not going to touch the possession part.

• comment-avatar
    Deep In the Heart of Delridge February 5, 2013 (2:44 pm)

Without a very strict set of City codes and laws, and this includes zoning, it will give the Feds more of a reason to come in and close it all down. By having it very controlled you users stand a better chance of having nationwide prohibition ended in your lifetime.

And thanks for all the references to beer, wine and booze being sold at the corner store. As if there are no problems associated with that:(

I am no prude, and indulge, but come on people, watch out for what you wish for, it may not be such a great thing for society to have people loaded up en masse.

• comment-avatar
    Jeff February 5, 2013 (2:56 pm)

Like it or not, I promise each and every one of you that it is being bought, sold, and smoked in your neighborhood. True before the law passed and it will stay true after.

• comment-avatar
    MrB February 5, 2013 (5:00 pm)

Anyone else notice the historic irony of that map?

• comment-avatar
    Mn February 5, 2013 (5:32 pm)

Charles : I really hope you are in the minority
    Don’t teach my kid
    Don’t drive car pool
    Don’t have a responsible job where I rely on your advice
    Stoned neighbors !!! Just what we need

• comment-avatar
    Dizzle February 5, 2013 (5:45 pm)

I would rather see booze banned over weed. You don’t see people getting into car accidents stoned, but plenty of drunk driving!

• comment-avatar
    anonyme February 6, 2013 (7:15 am)

Really, no one gets in car accidents while stoned? Prove it. Talk about absurd rhetoric…that’s a ‘dizzie’ claim if I ever read one.

I voted for both medical marijuana and legalization. I’m kind of sorry I voted for either. Public use has increased, despite the fact that it’s illegal. I see people toking away at bus stops at least twice a week. Marijuana poses a problem that alcohol does not, in that it effects bystanders through second hand smoke.

There seems to be this self-righteous tone to pro-pot rhetoric, as if by smoking weed you’re better than a drunk. You’re not. Society is not improved because you’re stoned instead of drunk; neither is a virtue.

• comment-avatar
    Patriot February 6, 2013 (7:51 am)

We didn’t vote for the issue and are in agreement with anonyme. You’d think we’re back in the 60’s with the way pro pot people are acting. Rebellious

• comment-avatar
    Brandon February 6, 2013 (9:55 am)

it’s still illegal to use in public just like alcohol. Prohibition does not work. Ask the cartels.

• comment-avatar
    clinker February 6, 2013 (11:16 am)

Mn and other canna-haters: Speaking as a 30-something responsible tax-paying homeowner, , dad, and professional tech worker who smokes regularly, I’m glad that my generation is now in a position to start making laws that are more reasonable.

Eventually we’ll be able to talk about it like adults discussing hop varieties over a beer instead of tittering children.

• comment-avatar
    alkiobserver February 6, 2013 (11:48 am)

Personally, I am looking forward to legalization bringing the many smokeless options for recreational pot use that have been available to medical users.

• comment-avatar
    Rebecca February 6, 2013 (11:34 pm)

To Clinker: Amen.

• comment-avatar
    jon hannabopp February 7, 2013 (11:50 am)

If you drink alcohol and are trying to dismiss pot you are a complete hypocrite and you’re 10 * more dangerous than a marijuana smoker winning gauged in a emotionally charged argument driving an automobile. Or just walking in a straight line can be a challenge for many alcoholics. Biggest problem with stoners is the lose motivation and yeah they like to sleep a lot need a lot of food. Rest well after smoking get enough pot they talk too slow to even get into fights

• comment-avatar
    Amie February 21, 2013 (2:52 pm)

This should not be allowed in neighborhoods. I live a block from the Roxbury city limit and I’m so sick of being accosted by pot smoke every time I walk the dog (or get take-out from Uncle Mike’s – you might as well be inhaling a vapor bag when you go into that place) from all the “medical” pot places already in the neighborhood. (And on that note, is the Univ of Phoenix handing out MDs these days? How do all these sketchy looking people have Rxs for this stuff??)

I am not against people legally buying or consuming, but feel it should be kept to more industrialized areas as far as production and retail.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann