West Seattle restaurants: Harry’s Chicken Joint on the way

February 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 24 Comments

We’ve been keeping an eye on – and getting questions about – the former Meander’s/Jade West space north of Morgan Junction at 6032 California SW. For a while now, a piece of paper in the window has read simply “Harry’s,” but we’ve had no luck reaching anyone there. Finally – a little more information has turned up in the window: The piece of paper has changed to the one you see above, reading “Harry’s Chicken Joint, opening soon.” That dovetails – or chicken-tails – with what Rick “The Psychic Barber” Cook (whose new location is nearby) told us recently, reporting that he had spoken to the owner, who told him “it will be a sort of homestyle eatery with the main focus on fried chicken and plans to be open late February.” (Just found a Facebook page too, though it has little beyond the address and phone number, where we’ve left a message.) More info soon as we get it!

4:51 PM UPDATE: Just talked, briefly, to Bruce from Harry’s – he says they’re not likely to have the sit-down restaurant open till next month because they’re doing some interior renovations, but right now they’re planning on something interim for February: Takeout chicken for patrons of nearby Beveridge Place Pub (which doesn’t make its own food but allows food to be brought in), starting within a week or so if all goes well.

1. Oh lordy, within walking distance of my house? There goes my new year’s resolution, I’m a sucker for fried chicken. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Comment by Junction mom — 3:33 pm February 3, 2013 #

2. Right next to eco beauty!!! Can you say beauty day then fried chicken!?!? I can!! Yum!

Comment by kas — 4:35 pm February 3, 2013 #

3. Harry’s Psychic Chicken?

Comment by Alki Resident — 4:52 pm February 3, 2013 #

4. PLEASE buy a new kitchen exhaust fan so your customers can breathe. Meanders was infamous for that.

Comment by Steve — 4:56 pm February 3, 2013 #

5. Awesome, always nice to have more food options on the Westside.

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 5:06 pm February 3, 2013 #

6. Whatever happened to Wah?

Comment by TaxBicycles — 5:30 pm February 3, 2013 #

7. I like my chicken hairless

Comment by Spana — 5:31 pm February 3, 2013 #

8. Great logo!!

Comment by I. Ponder — 5:32 pm February 3, 2013 #

9. TaxBicycles, here’s the article about the accident that the Wahs had: http://westseattleblog.com/2009/12/west-seattle-restaurants-jade-west-proprietor-hurt-in-crash and he then decided to retire.

Comment by Sue — 7:22 pm February 3, 2013 #

10. Glad it’s not a Harry Chicken Joint…I’m just sayin’…

Comment by sun*e — 9:47 pm February 3, 2013 #

11. They brought in chicken to Bev Place for the Super Bowl. It was amazing! The guy said they’ll be open for take out next week.

Comment by KD — 1:20 am February 4, 2013 #

12. I hope it’s wonderful, local would be great because it’s a long drive to the Hop In in Renton for scrumptious fried chicken!

Comment by pam — 7:14 am February 4, 2013 #

13. I’m not actually psychic, but I predict a 10 pound gain this year. And they’ll have collard greens!!

Comment by rick — 8:53 am February 4, 2013 #

14. I live nearby and I’m looking forward to visiting often. Will the menu have mashed potatoes to go?

Comment by Mark — 9:34 am February 4, 2013 #

15. Whohoooo!

Comment by quiz — 9:39 am February 4, 2013 #

16. With the “Homestead” gone. And “Chicken Delight” being long gone. Looking forward to trying this new place. Whoever remembers “Chicken Delight”– you are showing your age.

Comment by let them swim — 10:55 am February 4, 2013 #

17. “Let them” – I often try to tell our teenage son, again, the tale of Chicken Delight – at least where I remember it from (Los Angeles and Honolulu) – “broasted chicken” delivered in stapled-together paper/cardboard plates. “Don’t cook tonight, call Chicken Delight!” – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:01 am February 4, 2013 #

18. “C.D. was either on same block as Bev. Place or one block north. Ours was delivered via a V.W. Bug.(yellow of course).

Comment by let them swim — 12:20 pm February 4, 2013 #

19. Chicken Delight…That brings back memories. I was a delivery driver there in high school. It was perfect; minimum wage and all the leftover chicken a teenager could eat.

Comment by Ron — 5:10 pm February 4, 2013 #

20. It’s not directly in the ‘hood, but darn close: Marco Polo’s broasted chicken in Georgetown/SODO is tasty too!

Comment by onceachef — 9:29 pm February 4, 2013 #

21. Way to go Bruce! It be nice to get a preview of the full menu, make the masses even hungrier. I’ll be seeing you soon.

Comment by Letter B — 7:49 am February 5, 2013 #

22. Thanks everyone- we have posted a menu on our door and will put up more info at our Facebook page. Can’t tell you how excited we are and how happy we are to be a part of such a great neighborhood. See you soon.

Comment by Harry's — 3:34 pm February 5, 2013 #

23. Please tell me you’ll have some fried pickles too! Can’t seem to find any good ones in Seattle and miss them! :)

Comment by Tracy — 10:56 am February 7, 2013 #

24. i sampled Harry’s fare at Bev Place Pub yesterday.
    the fried chicken was intensely flavorful, with breading like a crispy herb biscuit surrounding the meat.
    pulled pork sandwich was surprisingly fresh, reminiscent of a po’ boy.
    potatoes were satisfyingly simple.
    the only weak spot (IMHO) was the collard greens. nothing wrong with them, just too plain for my taste. could use some bacon fat and/or vinegar, and a dousing of hot sauce after serving.
    all in all, an exciting portent!

Comment by Ben — 11:36 am February 18, 2013 #