Wanted: West Seattle site for new Middle Eastern food truck

February 12, 2013 at 10:35 am | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 25 Comments

West Seattle seems to have somewhat fallen off the food-truck map – of course, it’s winter anyway. But Shimi Kahn, who started his Middle Eastern food business in West Seattle and is about to launch a truck, is looking for a spot in the area and wondered if we had any suggestions. So we’re sending his question out to you. Read on:

My name is Shimi Kahn and I am the Owner\Chef of Falafel Salam. I have been working for the past 6 months on opening a food truck and I am fully licensed and ready to go now (Hopefully this Thursday). We serve gourmet authentic Middle Eastern cuisine (falafel, shawarma, hummus, salads, etc’) and For a short while (2 years ago) we were working at West Seattle Produce (under “2 Chefs”, in a canopy).

I would like to turn to the people of the neighborhood and see where you would like to see our truck for dinner time. I started the business here (selling Hummus, Babaghanouj, etc’ at Thriftway and Husky Deli, using the Senior Center’s kitchen) and have grown and have always dreamed of working close to home.

I would be grateful if you could help me in any way.

There are two main restrictions.

1. It needs to be private property (way simpler permit).

2. I need a permission from a nearby business (up to 200 ft) to use their restroom.

If you know of anywhere like this and would like to see me there, please let me know.

Looking forward to cooking you guys some great Middle Eastern food!

Reply via the comments, or e-mail your suggestion directly to Shimi at: info@FalafelSalam.com

1. I’d love it if one of your stops was Big Al’s Brewery in White Center. I know they’ve hosted other food trucks before. I’d sure enjoy a beer and a falafel about now.

Comment by Bayou — 12:08 pm February 12, 2013 #

2. Short Stop in Morgan Junction?

Comment by Jacob — 12:45 pm February 12, 2013 #

3. How about Alki near the auto repair shop (on around 58th) where other food truck vendors have been. Alki seems a much more viable place for your sales than a shopping center (to me)

Comment by Lyn — 1:21 pm February 12, 2013 #

4. I second the Big Al idea.

Comment by FUll Tilt — 1:54 pm February 12, 2013 #

5. I wonder if All Star Fitness might be lucrative?Post workout, grab-good-grub-and-go. I would think that might be a win-win
    =
    Or the Delridge Way Uptown Espresso
    parking lot? 15-20k vehicles drive-by and bus
    traffic with good visibilty and favorable winds to carry the aroma. Bathroom access might be a challenge there unless one of the storefronts granted you permission.

Comment by Mike — 2:13 pm February 12, 2013 #

6. the Rite Aid on California just south of the junction has lots of surplus parking and great visability. I have no idea if the company would go for this.

Comment by Tom — 2:45 pm February 12, 2013 #

7. Around the farmer’s market on Sundays.
    Let’s get the “whole foods” hole filled in and turn it into a food truck “mall” like Portland has.

Comment by plr — 3:32 pm February 12, 2013 #

8. The VW Repair place on 35th is a pretty good location. They have had Marination and another truck (can’t remember the name). I’m not sure about the restroom access though.

Comment by Brontosaurus — 3:37 pm February 12, 2013 #

9. Contact Diamond Parking. They have many locations in the area and are experienced in the food truck wave.

Comment by Cannon — 4:25 pm February 12, 2013 #

10. I adore falafel my husband is a gyro addict so wherever you go we will be in line. Sundays around the junction is a time of lunch/breakfast. I’m not enamored of Mawadda, Athena’s in highland is very good but a little out of the way, so a fresh option is desired.

Best wishes

Comment by lookingforlogic — 4:36 pm February 12, 2013 #

11. There’s a vacant building up for lease (formerly a restaurant?) on California and Charleston. Huge parking lot. Might be able to negotiate use of the building bathrooms?

Comment by Eli — 4:55 pm February 12, 2013 #

12. Get in with the uptown espresso truck mix on the ak junction!

Comment by Junctioncash — 5:08 pm February 12, 2013 #

13. Please come to Alki!

Comment by Lisa — 5:50 pm February 12, 2013 #

14. Thanks guys for all these recommendation. will be working on this ASAP.
    This is what I love about good food, it just makes everyone happy, excited and full!
    See you soon!

Comment by Shimi Kahn — 6:35 pm February 12, 2013 #

15. Please consider the Delridge corridor, we have no services, and only a few food options – none middle eastern. I guarentee hungry Delridge residents will flock to your food truck. Check out how busy Pho Aroma is…

Comment by Heather — 9:18 pm February 12, 2013 #

16. I would suggest 35th and Barton near the amazing beer mini mart. A lot of traffic flows through here to White Center and the rest of West Seattle. I also think that near Big Al would not be bad. La Fondita is near there and they do pretty well. Good Luck!

Comment by Tristan — 9:40 pm February 12, 2013 #

17. SO EXCITED! I am sad more food trucks haven’t been successful in WS- the Uptown Espresso lot is basically dead now from what I’ve seen. I’ve heard rumors that restaurant businesses drove out the food trucks, which would be really disappointing if true. Either way, good luck! I love middle eastern food!

Comment by Ra-chan — 9:40 pm February 12, 2013 #

18. south delridge!

Comment by m — 10:45 pm February 12, 2013 #

19. Shorewood market has a huge parking lot. Perfect spot!

Comment by Lolaleah — 11:52 pm February 12, 2013 #

20. I second rite aide on California

Comment by Spankyd — 8:52 am February 13, 2013 #

21. I know other food trucks have been hosted at the Highland Park Improvement Center at 12th & Holden. Perhaps they would be an option as well!

Comment by Ash — 9:11 am February 13, 2013 #

22. Check with West Seattle Auto up on 35th and Webster

Comment by Angelina — 9:25 am February 13, 2013 #

23. I suggest the former Blockbuster Video parking lot at California, near Admiral.

Comment by Brian M, — 9:55 am February 13, 2013 #

24. I second the Rite Aid parking lot. Perfect location with an amazing view.

Comment by jim — 11:52 am February 13, 2013 #

25. OK guys!

We got our very first location in West Seattle and it is at…

(rolling drum)

Hans VW @ 6302 35th Ave SW on Saturdays starting 3/2/13.

Just heads up, most of the menu is vegan\vegetarian and the meat that we use is sustainable, organic and local.
    Check out the menu