New West Seattle business: SW Skate Shop at Westwood Village

February 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news, Westwood | 12 Comments

With the Roxhill Park skatespot set to open soon – it’s the perfect time for a new skate shop across the street in Westwood Village. SW Skate Shop is in its second week of business on the breezeway (east of Bed Bath Beyond). We stopped in today and met Ian Mandt, the manager, and Luke Constant:

They told us the shop’s focusing on local brands whenever possible, and it’s carrying boards, components, apparel, even local art – check out Jason Singler‘s work, displayed on the walls (and available for purchase, too):

Mandt says their hours are somewhat flexible for starters, noon-6 weekdays, 11-5 weekends.

1. This skate shop is next door to my office @ John L Scott and I pass these guys everyday! The courtyard at Westwood is filled with youthful energy now that the doors are open for business. I wish them the best success!

Comment by Phoebe — 4:03 pm February 17, 2013 #

2. Cool! I was just up at Jamba Juice. Wish I had read the WSB before I went. We’ll be sure to stop by.

Comment by Bonnie — 5:44 pm February 17, 2013 #

3. Good luck Guys :D

Comment by Fire Ball — 9:56 pm February 17, 2013 #

4. Fantastic addition to Westwood! I hope business goes well and all of the empty spaces start to fill up with great shops like this!

Comment by Bev — 11:47 pm February 17, 2013 #

5. Good luck, ambitious young men. :)

Comment by anti-obstruction — 1:56 am February 18, 2013 #

6. It would be great to hear more about these young men. Are they from West Seattle? This is a great thing and I wish them well.

Comment by kjb — 5:24 am February 18, 2013 #

7. This is GREAT! These young men are smart forward thinking men, this is a wonderful idea! Good Luck you guys I wish you success!

Comment by Sillygoose — 7:49 am February 18, 2013 #

8. Just a note – while the shop’s owner was not there when we stopped in, both identified her as Sue Murray. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:30 am February 18, 2013 #

9. I saw this place the other day… While I’m old enough that I don’t skate anymore, it’s good to see a cool neighborhood shop serving the kids that still do. The Rhino skate deck art is great looking too!

Comment by Mat — 2:24 pm February 18, 2013 #

10. very cool!

Comment by Linda — 4:12 pm February 18, 2013 #

11. Nice addition to our neighborhood.

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 4:18 pm February 18, 2013 #

12. Ian is a great guy and an amazing skater – what a perfect person to represent this shop, great job Sue Murray! This is the second skateshop to open recently in the west seattle area, the other one is Cloud City at 3270 California Ave. I’ve lived in West Seattle for over ten years and we havent had a legitimate skate shop this whole time…now in the space of 3 months we’ve got two, and they are both the real deal (actually focused on selling skateboard stuff and with people who actually are addicted to skateboarding behind the counter). Add this to the great new Grindline skateparks popping up all over the area; it all adds up to skateboarders finally getting their time to shine!

Comment by chris — 12:33 pm February 19, 2013 #