West Seattle holiday giving: Alki Tours’ surprise gift

December 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 24 Comments

ORIGINAL SATURDAY AFTERNOON REPORT: We’ve heard from multiple sources that Morgan Junction-based Alki Tours has given quite a gift today … Their “Snow Train” trip to Leavenworth was canceled by a slide – as noted on Facebook – leaving them with boxed meals for passengers they wouldn’t be serving. So, they filled cars with the food and took it to feed homeless people, including the campers at Nickelsville.

ADDED SUNDAY: A photo montage is now atop this story; thanks to Jayme for replying to our request, made in the comment section, which is also where you’ll find more on how it unfolded, including this note from “Bsmomma”:

P.S. If you’re looking for non-surprise holiday giving opportunities, we’re continuing to add to the list in the WSB West Seattle Holiday Guide.

1. That’s fantastic. Someone undoubtedly had a better day because of their generosity. Thank you!

Comment by Laurie — 3:50 pm December 1, 2012 #

2. Love the holiday spirit in West Seattle!

Comment by Mary — 3:59 pm December 1, 2012 #

3. Wonderful outfit – that Alki Tours!

Comment by Carol — 4:04 pm December 1, 2012 #

4. Kudos to Alki Tours!! I LOVE this Community!

Comment by lisa town — 5:20 pm December 1, 2012 #

5. Nice gift.

I am disappointed, however, at the Great Northern Railway line between Seattle and Everett. It has always been prone to mudslides. Unfortunately, the alternative rail line through Renton, Kirkland, Woodinville to Snohomish has been mostly “yanked up”.

Comment by Flickertail — 5:25 pm December 1, 2012 #

6. Apulent Catering

Comment by miws — 6:34 pm December 1, 2012 #

7. Thank you Alki Tours!

Mike

Comment by miws — 6:36 pm December 1, 2012 #

8. My wife and I have worked on the “Snow Train” in previous years, and Claire and her team at Alki Tours are a wonderful group of folks! Glad to hear that none of the food went to waste. Thank you Claire!

Comment by kevin — 10:55 pm December 1, 2012 #

9. Awesome! Way to go Alki Tours!

Comment by annika — 1:16 am December 2, 2012 #

10. I was one of the saddened workers that got the call at 5:10am that the train was cancelled. :( Working on the train is the source for Christmas money for a lot of people. BUT instead of bumming out all day about it, we jumped on the phones to inform passengers (who were all awesome about it btw!) And then hung around for the food to be ready to go. My sister and I chatted with so many grateful people around Seattle. A huge Thank You to Alki Tours for making that possible. And another big Thanks to the people at Gretchen’s for getting it all ready for us! I am a true believer in Everything happens for a reason. Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Comment by bsmomma — 8:41 am December 2, 2012 #

11. The mudslide was such a disapointment but Alki Tours made th best of a bad situation and gave such an amazing contribution to the homeless in the greater Seattle area. Major kudos go out to an amazing company. Happy future traveling.

Comment by duckie — 10:50 am December 2, 2012 #

12. I have worked for Alki Tours for almost eight years and I couldn’t ask to work for a better place. It was unfortunate the trains were cancelled but it was a blessing to be able to feed so many people with the food we had…my friends and I went downtown to the main parks, the Union Gospel Mission, the streets of White Center, the youth churches and then to women shelters and didn’t stop until all the food was gone…there is no better feeling then to know you put a smile on so many faces…I am fortunate to work with so many loving and caring people..Thanks to all the people that took time out of their day to make it all possible after their unfortunate news of the mudslide..there is no better feeling then to know we were able to help so many people

Comment by Diana Phelps — 11:48 am December 2, 2012 #

13. Thanks to everybody who’s commented with more info! I sent a note yesterday to the only person for whom I had contact info @ Alki Tours but didn’t hear back – was hoping for just a few more details – but you all have provided them amply. You were probably way too busy to take a photo while doing this good deed but if anyone DID … please consider sending us one so I can add to the story? Thank you! – Tracy (editor@westseattleblog.com)

Comment by WSB — 1:29 pm December 2, 2012 #

14. I also work at Alki Tours and have helped run the trains for 10 years. It was extremely unfortunate that our train was cancelled, but to see the look on all the peoples faces down at Nicklesville when we showed up with boxes of food, that is a cherised memory that I will have always have. I am very fortunate to be working at Alki Tours with all of these AMAZING and CARING friends. Actually we are more than friends, we are a family. And to the all the other wonderful friends that helped us pass out food and make all those phone calls notifing passengers that the train was cancelled, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Comment by Jayme Miller — 2:49 pm December 2, 2012 #

15. Fabulous!

Comment by Gyngersnap — 4:08 pm December 2, 2012 #

16. It was a blast! To see the smiles that we were able to put on these souls you cant put a price on that! It makes you look at your own life and be even more thankful for what we have in our own lives. I dont have much but I do love what I have. I couldnt think of a better way to spend a day with only 3 hrs of sleep but to pass the food out! It was great!!! Love you guys!!

Comment by Jamie — 4:21 pm December 2, 2012 #

17. Wonderful!!!

Comment by Donna Lawson — 4:53 pm December 2, 2012 #

18. Right on, Alki Tours! Reading this has doubled my incentive to book a tour with you soon!

Comment by Jennifer — 5:12 pm December 2, 2012 #

19. Yesterday was such a rewarding day. It is truly a blessing to give back especially to those in need the most. It is amazing how many people’s lives we impacted on the streets of Seattle. Alki Tours is an AMAZING company!

Comment by Brandy Phelps — 5:28 pm December 2, 2012 #

20. When is the holiday boat parade for alki

Comment by Walker — 8:01 pm December 2, 2012 #

21. You mean the Christmas Ship? Next Saturday. It’s in the Holiday Guide (scroll through and you’ll see the beautiful picture from a past visit, right before the info):

Comment by WSB — 8:05 pm December 2, 2012 #

22. Well done, Ali Tours! You’re an amazing part of our community.

I hope this and all the other great things that our local businesses do for our community continue to be recognized and celebrated. I also hope that these stories inspire even more businesses to take on such a positive and generous role in the community. All of these good neighbors well deserve our future business!

Comment by Yardvark — 9:57 am December 3, 2012 #

23. We had a lot of fun handing out the food. So many were so thankful . Pretty sure Diana took some pictures of us downtown

Comment by Roxanne Reick — 11:20 am December 3, 2012 #

24. I should note that my post “Apulent Catering” was a typo.

I tried to correct it at the time, but was having trouble with my internet connection.

Mike