West Seattle Crime Watch: Two close calls, plus, gift stolen

December 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 17 Comments

Three reader reports in West Seattle Crime Watch this afternoon. The first one may not be connected to a crime, but police were called – as they ask residents to do when something suspicious is happening NOW – reports Jason, who wanted to get the word out fast:

My partner was just out walking our dogs and was followed about 30 feet back by a Pacific Islander male, in his mid-30′s, around 5’7″, bald, black hoodie, baggy jeans, scruffy facial hair. He followed him around the block and would stop around corners and trees just to follow again as soon as my partner started walking. This was in the area of Henderson and 20th. He was last seen walking along Henderson. Police are sending a car out to look around.

Ahead – another close call, and a case of package theft:

Two other Crime Watch reports – one, a prowler who startled Jenni on Saturday in her Highland Park carport:

I arrived home ( 13th Ave SW & kenyon) from shopping, parked in open carport & went upstairs to unload groceries. I Went back down to unload my dog whom was harnessed in back of car. As I opened the door a man was standing right in front of me as he’d been waiting for me. He started to reach out to open the door but I slammed it & locked it as I screamed. I ran upstairs & peered thru my living room window to get another look at the perp. He had a mountain bike that he had leaned against the wall in my carport. This makes me suspect he was planing on entering my home & potentially harming me. Called 911 immediately with under 5 minute response time.

Description: Hispanic male 28-34 years old, height 5’6″-5’7″ tall and about 140-150 lbs. he had a round face with poor skin & short dark hair. I didn’t see color of mountain bike but was light color. After 911 call I notified my neighbors to be alert. Any suspicious cars or people in your neighborhood, do not ignore, please call police& notify your neighbors. This is my home, which is supposed to be the place I feel safe & secure. We must protect our families by being proactive.

And – from an anonymous reader – package thieves strike again:

Unfortunately, our neighbor knocked on our door Saturday morning to give us an empty box with our name on it that had been ripped open and its contents stolen. It was a birthday gift for our little boy. Just wanted to let you guys know so you can post with others and remind people to check their doorsteps often; people are out looking to crush the holiday spirit. It was stolen from a house near 34th and Trenton.

1. Package Thieves are out and about. They follow UPS, Fed Ex this time of year. I found a package a couple of weeks ago torn open and empty in the middle of the road at 5:30 AM while walking my dogs. The packing slip was on it so I was able to return it along with a note to the owner. They live around 33rd and Trenton.
    Do not have any packages delivered to your door step have them sent to your job if you can.
    Creeps.

Comment by CP — 2:41 pm December 3, 2012 #

2. I know it isn’t as good as having packages delivered to work, but I’ve taped a note to our door asking that packages be left in our carport. It’s worked so far. Knock on wood. I suppose if someone’s following the truck they’d know where the package is, but for anyone walking down the street at least it’s out of sight. Remember the days when they’d leave a note on your door and you had to go to your neighbor’s house to pick up your package?

Comment by ghar72 — 3:16 pm December 3, 2012 #

3. FYI Fedex is very good about not leaving packages on your front porch, they put mine in my fenced in side-yard. UPS not so much.

Comment by Dave — 3:31 pm December 3, 2012 #

4. Todd–Thank you for getting the word out about this guy. That’s really scary–I’m glad you had the quick reflexes and the wherewithall to recognize that this was not a girl scout. My 83 year mother lives with me and I would have to kill anyone that tried to harm her. That’s 3 lives forever changed…..

Comment by laynie — 4:08 pm December 3, 2012 #

5. Frightening audacity! Thanks for clear description. Chilling:(

Comment by Rves — 5:20 pm December 3, 2012 #

6. One thing with packages, if your able to, make sure where your package is coming from has a delivery confirmation.(Meaning it can’t be left unless signed for)

It’s worth the extra few dollars, though unfortunatly sites like amazon have yet to add an option for this.

If you call the company that is being used to send your package you can often work something out so your package isn’t left out/alone.

Things like package theft, or worse like attacks really remind me this isn’t the West Seattle I grew up in.=(

Comment by Erithan — 8:17 pm December 3, 2012 #

7. The more visible you are in AND around your home, the less likely someone is target you.

Comment by WTF — 8:27 pm December 3, 2012 #

8. I know it might make you look psycho, but I gaurantee it’ll make them go away. Turn and scream at them, shout at them and make a big scene. You might look like a crazy person from downtown that talks to themselves, but hey… better to look crazy than get robbed/hurt/other.

Comment by Mike — 11:30 pm December 3, 2012 #

9. Or you get shot.

Comment by velo_nut — 8:09 am December 4, 2012 #

10. Erithan, just to clarify that delivery confirmation by itself does NOT require a signature and can be left like any other package; I get packages like that all the time. It simply confirms it was delivered. The sender needs to pay extra for signature confirmation (which also gives delivery confirmation) if you don’t want it left on the doorstep. Don’t want you to pay for something that isn’t what you’re looking for.

Comment by Sue — 8:20 am December 4, 2012 #

11. I had a package stolen from my doorstep in the 6000 block of 34th Ave. The funny thing is that there was a large box that had been delivered from a different company. They made off with the small package but left the large one. It was taken within 5 minutes of being on my doorstep as my husband arrived home immediately after the packages had been delivered. I am guessing that someone was watching the FedEx truck (that is where the stolen package was delivered from).

Comment by EmRo — 11:34 am December 4, 2012 #

12. Had a package delivered by fedex and usps stolen last Wednesday on the 8800 block of 36th. This is in the same area as the other packages reported stolen on this blog so I’m starting to think they are related and someone in our neighborhood was either following the fedex truck or just driving down the street looking for packages to steal. Keep an eye out! The crack heads are out there looking for an easy score.

Comment by a — 11:45 am December 4, 2012 #

13. Thanks Sue, I had the wording wrong, I did mean the type of confirmation where a signature is mandatory.(Though next time I send a package I’ll have to look closer at the form to be really sure) ><

note to self: posting when tired is not a good idea…

Comment by Erithan — 9:09 pm December 4, 2012 #

14. Correction on prowler it was me , Jenni , not my hubby Todd whom had the prowler scare in my carport.

Comment by Jenni — 9:54 am December 7, 2012 #

15. I had four e-mails, all from Todd (last name), none mentioning your name … so that’s why I attributed it. Thanks for the update.

Comment by WSB — 10:03 am December 7, 2012 #

16. Wsb correction the prowler incident was from Todd’s wife, Jenni.

Comment by Jenni — 8:50 pm December 10, 2012 #

17. I find it sad that there are more concerning comments about
    People’s precious packages than about a prowler. Usually more west Seattlites comment on prowler/ burglar behavior due to concern for personal safety. I was disheartened to see all the comments about the empty FedEx packages. Your packages are no good if your attacked by a prowler!

Comment by Sammy — 6:07 pm December 11, 2012 #