West Seattle Crime Watch: Roxhill Castle vandalized

December 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news, Westwood | 14 Comments

If you live near Roxhill Park, or pass by, please take an extra-close look – especially now that Whitney McBride, co-volunteer organizer for the community-built Roxhill Castle play-area project, reports that graffiti/tagging vandals have struck: “Our wonderfully community-built park was graffiti’ed. I’m not sure when, as we haven’t been by lately. Sadly I knew it was bound to happen, just hoped it wouldn’t at least for a while. I’m sure it’ll get cleaned up way before opening, but if folks could keep an eye out & call in anything suspicious, that’d be great.” (As noted here yesterday, the opening was at one point set for this weekend, but it’s been postponed – no new date set yet.)

1. There are low-lifes, and then there are LOW-lifes. Graffiti idiots are the latter. It is NEVER ‘art’ in my world, it is simple scrawl and vandalism. May a 5 mile long coal train land in their Xmas stocking!

Comment by Mike — 10:16 pm December 23, 2012 #

2. I feel like all of Seattle is covered in graffiti these days. Just hopping on I5 N there is tons of it. It makes me really angry. Who are these losers that do this?!!

Comment by A — 10:56 pm December 23, 2012 #

3. Seeing property tagged by idiots like this make my blood boil. I wish it was possible to install cameras around the city to catch these perpetrators.

Comment by Strike em out Kinney — 12:46 am December 24, 2012 #

4. “art”—what a joke.

Comment by anti-obstruction — 9:06 am December 24, 2012 #

5. Clearly tagging is not art and this is just vandalism. But graffiti is as much of an art form as impressionism.

Comment by Brandon — 10:07 am December 24, 2012 #

6. Maybe once we find out who did this,we can all pitch in as a community and paint their house PINK.

Comment by Alki Resident — 10:11 am December 24, 2012 #

7. If it isn’t wanted by the property owner its just vandalism regardless of the ability of the vandal.

Comment by Jeff — 12:18 pm December 24, 2012 #

8. I have been noticing a lot of new gang graffiti popping up. looks like a new gang might be moving into the area. there have been alot of VL17 tags popping up. make sure you report it to city so they can take it down

Comment by Nick — 1:27 pm December 24, 2012 #

9. @Brandon I probably would have agreed with you before I owned property. It’s a crime to alter or destroy someone elses property without permission even if it qualifies a art. City property is in fact someone elses property. No it’s not ours collectively. The city owns it and we pay taxes to maintain it. Since these little jerks are tagging, worse than graffiti in my opinion I hope the police find them and of course a usual the system will do nothing to prevent it in the future.

Comment by WsEd — 2:45 pm December 24, 2012 #

10. Graffiti on Roxberry? In other news: water is wet.

Comment by Alex — 6:02 pm December 24, 2012 #

11. My son and I stopped by last Tuesday to see the progress and I was horrified to see the tagging and filthy words written on the new play structures. Whoever did this – Shane on you for disrespecting a labor of love and hard work for the children of our community. Perhaps if you used the energy and determination that you used to climb the fence and tag the structure (late at night presumably), you might have a bigger future than as a punk. Shameful. Disgusting. Terribly sad.

Comment by Momma Lioness — 7:09 pm December 24, 2012 #

12. Really?! It wasn’t even done yet and already crapffiti is happening. What losers. Have anything better to do? You want to graffiti something, then buy your own property and do it there, NOT someone else’s. You want the ghetto then go to the ghetto. You don’t even know how good you have it that your neighborhood comes together to build a new park, a nice thing, something positive not negative. I didn’t grow up in a “bad” area, it was a somewhat small suburban town on the east coast. There were parks but not as many as here and no one ever came together to improve any of them. Sometimes people don’t know what they have. Maybe someday you’ll have a kid and they’ll go to a park where there’s graffitti and you’ll realize how bad it looks for many reasons and how stupid you were when you did it when you were young. If you like to draw then do something about it, something meaningful in your life. Where’s this going to get you? Seriously.

Comment by H — 9:32 pm December 24, 2012 #

13. Perhaps this looks like art to you but no way is “graffiti as much an art form as impressionism” LOL sorry Brandon you need to learn more about Impressionist ART

Comment by cruzer — 2:45 pm December 25, 2012 #

14. judge not people. you will never understand or stop graffiti. you have no idea who does it or does not.get on with your life. cover it if you want. we don’t care. nobody said it is art or ask you to accept it. it holds no racial ; class or age boundaries. there are people all over the world in their teens ; twenties ; thirties ; forties ;fifties ; sixties ; seventies etc. rich or poor. educated or not.i feel sorry for all of you who think they know about this subject.

Comment by trevor — 2:53 pm December 29, 2012 #