West Seattle Crime Watch: 2 stolen items to watch for, and another stolen car found

December 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

Burglary victims in Arbor Heights says there’s just one item they really want back… a dark wood box containing the cremated remains of their dog. “We presume the thief took the box thinking it had jewelry in it; clearly he or she is in for a surprise when it’s opened. We are hoping it turns up somewhere.” We asked Kim for any distinguishing features, in case someone comes across it tossed aside somewhere – “possibly rosewood, with a polished finish, about 5″ x 6″, quite heavy,” she says.

WSB’ers *do* find stolen items. For example, it looks like Amy‘s stolen Saab T900, reported here early today, has turned up – Franci saw it in The Junction and called 911. She also let us know, and we in turn have flagged Amy – we’ll add an update if this all works out.

(11:41 PM UPDATE: Amy confirms it’s her car – though Franci had called a few hours earlier, police hadn’t contacted Amy yet, but an hour ago, she went to check out the scene, called 911 to confirm it, and subsequently met there with the same officer who took the original stolen-car report yesterday.)

Back on the stolen front:

That’s Kami‘s bicycle, when it was new … and long before it was stolen:

My bicycle was stolen from in front of 4550 38th Ave SW (The Link Apartments) sometime last night. It was locked, but we all know that’s just a deterrent. It’s a Specialized Expedition in silver, with tan seat/grips and black fenders. It looks like the baby of a mountain bike and a cruiser, and is probably dirty as sin. It’s my car, I use it every day and one day a week it’s part of my job. I was hoping that you guys could put a post up, and I will offer a $100 reward, no questions asked. But she’s my baby and I hope to see her again.

1. I’ll bet that’s “our” Franci that found the Saab!

If so, kudos to you, Franci!.

And kudos even if you’re another Franci! ;-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:11 am December 15, 2012 #

2. Hey Kami, so sorry to hear about your bike. If you need a bike right away to borrow, I don’t use my commuter bike in the winter and you’re welcome to borrow mine. It’s older, it’s dirty, but it’s fully functional and has a rack on the back and fenders on both tires. You can get my email address from WSB.

Comment by AJP — 9:38 am December 15, 2012 #

3. Kami,
    I also have a bike I’m not using that you can borrow. Hope you find yours soon.

Comment by Mary E OConnor — 11:13 am December 15, 2012 #

4. You guys make me love west seattle.

Comment by westcoastdeb — 3:24 pm December 15, 2012 #

5. Way to go Franci! :D

Comment by HelperMonkey — 4:15 pm December 15, 2012 #

6. Aww thanks guys! Yes it was me. I’ve often wondered how folks actually spotted things like this. I can say in this case, some unusual circumstances happened..
    1. I parked in the far south end of the lot – there weren’t any spaces in the north end near the business I was going to.
    2. The car had a ticket on it, I’ve never ever seen a ticket on a car parked in the junction lot before.
    3. Mostly that ticket set the wheels in motion, as I was pulling out I noticed it was a saab.

I remembered the stolen car report, pulled back into my spot, was able to bring it up on my phone and confirm the license plate..and the rest you know.

It does have me thinking that something needs to be done about how ‘abandoned’ cars are handled. Having heard the horror stories of folks who have had their cars stolen, then towed to a yard where the storage fees add up… you know where I’m going.

In this day and age of connectivity – it seems like it would be fairly simple to run a check on a license plate when a car has been parked too long someplace. Just to be sure it hasn’t been stolen, before it gets towed.

Comment by Franci — 6:44 pm December 15, 2012 #

7. Franci – unless you looked at the ticket and know it’s a city ticket, in that lot it would be a ticket from the parking company, and they would not have access to that kind of information, since they’re not law enforcement officials – TR

Comment by WSB — 8:53 pm December 15, 2012 #