Memorial on Friday for Josephine Bodourian, 1935-2012

December 13, 2012 at 11:18 am | In Obituaries, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 8 Comments

Longtime West Seattleite Josephine “Jo” Bodourian will be remembered tomorrow, and her family wanted to make sure her many local friends get the word in time:

Josephine M. Bodourian was born January 12, 1935 in Pittsburgh, PA, to Leonard A. Pepper and Josephine Pepper. Jo lived and worked in the Seattle area for more than 50 years. She was a cancer survivor and her recent passing on Friday, December 7, was unexpected.

Jo volunteered for Meals on Wheels, delivering food through the Senior Center. She worked for many years at the V.A. Hospital as a nurse. She was a member of the YWCA and was a swimmer and enjoyed various fitness activities. She also enjoyed traveling.

Jo was preceded in death by her brothers Anton and Leonard A. Pepper, Jr.

She is survived by her sister Rose Kholos (Henry) and her brother Joseph A. Pepper (Carole). She is also survived by her son Greg Bodourian.

Josephine was an exceptionally kind and giving woman and will be missed by all who knew her.

A viewing will be held at Acacia Funeral Home in Seattle on Friday, December 14, from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. There will be a brief prayer service beginning at 4:00 pm.

Acacia is at 14951 Bothell Way NE (map).

1. Jo will be missed by all. My partner (Tony) and I had many conversations with Jo… especially about her cat Bubba. The nieghborhood won’t be the same without her.

Comment by Rob — 1:14 pm December 13, 2012 #

2. We will miss Jo’s smiling face and energy at the Y – she was an active member!

Comment by Josh - YMCA — 3:51 pm December 13, 2012 #

3. Jo was a friendly neighbor! She first got our attention when we noticed she “walked” her cat.
    She attended our Night Out street party and holiday party and she always brought her awesome baked beans.
    She was great for chatting with folks walking or driving by, or at least smiling and waving. We already miss her.

Comment by Kerry — 4:16 pm December 13, 2012 #

4. We’ll miss Jo’s smiling face, extra Halloween treats, and of course, walks with Bubba the cat. I am grateful for her advice about a career in nursing.

Comment by Joni — 8:36 pm December 13, 2012 #

5. I wish I’d known Jo better. She was a fixture in the neighborhood. I saw her several times a month when out walking our dogs. She had such spunk and was really active, always mowing her own lawn and keeping her garden immaculate — lovely roses. Her devotion to her cats was well known. I loved walking by her house and seeing Blackie and Bubba on the porch or in their basket in the window. We were all shocked by her passing and send comforting wishes to her son and friends. She was clearly a very special gal.

Comment by goodgraces — 10:20 pm December 13, 2012 #

6. Joe will be very missed in our neighborhood. Never a time went by that she did not stop, smile, and wave as she passed my house. Her passing was such a shock last weekend and very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with Greg.

Comment by Brita Long — 8:16 am December 14, 2012 #

7. Jo was great! So active and always open to chatting! She was my neighbor for 2 1/2 years. I will miss her! Greg, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything you need feel free to call me, I left a message on Jo’s voice mail.

Comment by Julie B — 4:29 pm December 16, 2012 #

8. I am greatly saddened by the news of Jo’s passing. Jo was always lively and friendly, and a bit of a nut, which I really appreciate in a person. Thank you Jo for being a role model for the kind of person who makes a neighborhood and community worth living in, and may you rest in peace.

Comment by Paula — 12:46 pm December 17, 2012 #