Found in West Seattle: ‘Bizarre sculpture’ turns up on streetcorner

December 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm | In Highland Park, Seen around town, West Seattle news | 44 Comments

The photo is from Highland Park’s Dina Johnson, who explains:

Yesterday a bizarre sculpture appeared on the Henderson street sidewalk near the corner of 13th Ave [map] in Highland Park.

We thought the thing might have fallen off a passing car, or stolen from someone’s yard. Or maybe it was part of an art installation in a rather unconventional gallery? Maybe someone is looking for it.

It’s the size and shape of a sitting child. It’s heavy; it appears to be made of plaster covered with fabric and wire mesh and glue. The face is a strange painted mask. A tuft of onion grass is attached to the head. It’s slightly damaged – one foot is missing, the other has broken off next to it.

We left it there all day and night, but no one came to retrieve it. We will put it out for garbage pickup if you post the pic and no one claims it. I have respect for art, but really, it’s kind of creepy.

Clues, anyone?

1. Dina, I saw that by your house and thought it was the weirdest thing!

Comment by AJP — 3:15 pm December 16, 2012 #

2. At least it wasn’t walking around ikea

Comment by lyndab — 3:32 pm December 16, 2012 #

3. This is so beyond creepy.

Comment by WSMama3 — 3:34 pm December 16, 2012 #

4. I stubbled by this early yesterday morning walking my dogs and almost shrieked. Somehow, looking at it closer to see what it actually didn’t make me feel any better.

Comment by Leanne — 4:01 pm December 16, 2012 #

5. I wonder if it was originally supposed to support plants, like the Disney Topiaries.

Comment by Talaki34 — 4:13 pm December 16, 2012 #

6. Kind of creepy?! Super creepy!

Comment by chris — 4:30 pm December 16, 2012 #

7. Chuckie!!!!!

Comment by nemobeansmom — 4:44 pm December 16, 2012 #

8. curious..what does it look like with the wrapping off?

Comment by humblepie — 4:48 pm December 16, 2012 #

9. I’ll take it!

Comment by Flipjack — 4:49 pm December 16, 2012 #

10. My 22 yr old is scared of dolls…. his dad let him watch Chuckie when he was little… I would love to take that and put it in the back seat of his car one night when he stops in LOL…..

I’m all for art – but dang – creepy isn’t even the word for that thing.

Comment by SJoy — 5:34 pm December 16, 2012 #

11. Awful

Comment by Evergreen — 5:53 pm December 16, 2012 #

12. I’m thinking maybe it shouldn’t go in the garbage so fast. It’s engaging. Maybe let it hang around a while and see what happens. I sort of like it, actually.

Comment by cathy woo — 6:07 pm December 16, 2012 #

13. Nightmare fodder.

Comment by Chuck and Sally's Van man — 6:19 pm December 16, 2012 #

14. oh, don’t trash it. it’s like a lost christmas elf. maybe put it in the Menashe’s yard amongst all the christmas lights.

Comment by blueovalobject — 6:23 pm December 16, 2012 #

15. Seasons Greetings!

Comment by carol o. — 6:46 pm December 16, 2012 #

16. Turn it into the police do not trash it. It almost looks as though it was ready to ship in some packing material. Stolen from someones mail maybe??

Comment by Uhoh — 6:49 pm December 16, 2012 #

17. Lol@ blueovalobject. I have to admit its kinda growing on me… I bet if I had that little guy on my porch with a sign I wouldn’t have any Xmas presents stolen like last year… Something like ‘he see’s you when your sleeping’ ………..

Comment by Swiss miss — 6:59 pm December 16, 2012 #

18. The invasion has begun. Watch the skies.

Comment by cranky Westie — 7:00 pm December 16, 2012 #

19. A Chuckie Christmas!!LOL

Comment by jwws — 7:10 pm December 16, 2012 #

20. Yikes

Comment by Rves — 7:48 pm December 16, 2012 #

21. The possibility to prank people with this thing is too good. If it goes unclaimed I say we create a Secret Society around this thing and let it just pop up places. WHO’S IN?!

Comment by Cait — 8:09 pm December 16, 2012 #

22. Cait FTW.

Comment by The Velvet Bulldog — 8:29 pm December 16, 2012 #

23. If you come by looking for it you won’t see it. We had to get it out of the rain because it was disintegrating. But if someone REALLY wants it we will reveal its secret hiding place to that person only.

Comment by Blairj — 8:35 pm December 16, 2012 #

24. Interestingly, I was just told that one of their neighbors (4-5 houses down from them) had cowboy boot planters left on their property this week as well. Hmmmm…..

Comment by Wenizzle — 8:52 pm December 16, 2012 #

25. I agree with Cait, we should let it be West Seattles private joke. I envisioned a lit cigarette in its fingers, sitting up against a common walking area. It’s definitely creepy.

Comment by Alki Resident — 8:53 pm December 16, 2012 #

26. I think it would be fun to pass it around secretly!! And track it! It could be West Seattles version of Flat Shirley!

Comment by Bsmomma — 9:28 pm December 16, 2012 #

27. Bsmomma – I almost said that earlier, only the version I know is “Flat Stanley”!

Comment by WSB — 9:29 pm December 16, 2012 #

28. That’s not garbage. That’s my son.

Comment by I. Ponder — 9:43 pm December 16, 2012 #

29. I kind of like it. Creepy as it is.

Comment by Here — 10:03 pm December 16, 2012 #

30. It looks like something from Doctor Who

Comment by David — 10:12 pm December 16, 2012 #

31. HELLA CREEPY!!!!

Comment by jesus — 11:01 pm December 16, 2012 #

32. A giant version of this should replace “Walking on Logs”.

Comment by Ajax — 11:31 pm December 16, 2012 #

33. It was disintegrating and you took it OUT of the rain?

Comment by Val Vashon — 2:02 am December 17, 2012 #

34. Creepy!

Comment by Cls — 5:11 am December 17, 2012 #

35. On a beautiful night last summer while having a picnic at Lowman Beach my husband and I came upon a frog that needed a home. We decided he had found the right folks since our frog had passed away earlier in the spring. We had waited three years for our little friend to transform from a polywog only to find him floating one morning upside down. It iseemed to be the universe’s way of healing our hearts. We have named him Maurice, he seems quite happy.

Comment by Neighbor — 8:00 am December 17, 2012 #

36. YES! Let’s do this thing. I’m at playgroundlegend45 at hotmail. Anyone interested, email me.

Comment by Cait — 8:32 am December 17, 2012 #

37. That is way cool!!

Comment by admiral73 — 10:30 am December 17, 2012 #

38. Phone home! Phone home!

Comment by cakeitseasy — 1:03 pm December 17, 2012 #

39. Mayan apocalypse. Strange bubble wrapped boy. The traffic light out at 35th and Avalon. The sudden disappearance of the West Seattle Coyotes. Mike McGinn trimmed his beard. The puzzle pieces are falling together. Wake up. Buy canned food.

Comment by cranky Westie — 4:47 pm December 17, 2012 #

40. Hey Cranky – the coyotes haven’t disappeared. I just haven’t had a chance to post the latest roundup of sightings :)

Comment by WSB — 4:57 pm December 17, 2012 #

41. Creepers!

Comment by WTF — 5:10 pm December 17, 2012 #

42. Oh. The coyotes are still here? Okay then, the Mayan Apocalypse is off. I’m going to Trader Joes’s for some two-buck Chuck and holiday wasabi tapenade cornflakes. Merry Hannu-Kwanza.

Comment by cranky Westie — 2:05 pm December 18, 2012 #

43. I am happy to report that the Bizarre/Creepy Sculpture is taking the train to Oregon to visit its friend, Phil Land.

Comment by BlairJ — 6:44 pm December 19, 2012 #

44. Someone sent it to a landfill? Why?

Comment by Alki Resident — 10:19 pm December 22, 2012 #