Update: North Admiral standoff over; man OK

November 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 31 Comments

(Photo added 5:53 pm, courtesy Ted)
ORIGINAL REPORT, 4:58 PM: If you’ve seen the sizable police response near 42nd/Walker in North Admiral, here’s what’s going on, according to SPD: A man is inside his home, threatening self-harm, possibly armed with a gun, and police are trying to talk him out. Just to be on the safe side, they are trying to keep people away from the area. More as we get it.

(Photo courtesy David Perry)
7:01 PM UPDATE: We’ve been monitoring this via the scanner and on scene. It appears that the man is OK and has come out – or is coming out – of the house with police. Nearby streets are reopening.

7:30 PM NOTE: Again, this has ended with everyone OK. We need to make one more note – if you or someone you know is considering suicide, or in another life-crisis situation, call this 24-hour hotline to reach the Crisis Clinic: 206.461.3222.

1. Ack! I am right across the alley! Very tense.

Comment by Jason — 5:24 pm November 1, 2012 #

2. I hope things work out for the best for this man. Too many people are doing this these days and don’t know how to ask for help.

Comment by Alki Resident — 5:59 pm November 1, 2012 #

3. Hi, Jason! It’s your downstairs neighbors. We watched for awhile but took the baby out for dinner. Too stressful!

Comment by Jessie — 6:01 pm November 1, 2012 #

4. I live across the alley too. Police advised to stay inside or leave the area for a while. Be safe everyone.

Comment by Jill — 6:22 pm November 1, 2012 #

5. Holy crap, I used to live on that block, know that house exactly.

Comment by jissy — 6:44 pm November 1, 2012 #

6. What house? it doesn’t say

Comment by Anon — 7:04 pm November 1, 2012 #

7. It has ended peacefully

Comment by let them swim — 7:09 pm November 1, 2012 #

8. Police have finally got to him and he is now safe.

Comment by Kaily — 7:14 pm November 1, 2012 #

9. It can’t be easy being a negotiator, I’m so proud of the man who gave up. I hope he can get the help he needs.

Comment by Alki Resident — 7:14 pm November 1, 2012 #

10. Shame wsdad!!!

Comment by rmp — 7:33 pm November 1, 2012 #

11. Thankful no innocents were hurt.

Comment by Harry Reems — 7:40 pm November 1, 2012 #

12. I can not believe you could even type that wsdad. Just sick. I live on this street and would have gladly stayed the night away from my home if it meant giving the police time to talk someone out of hurting themselves. Keeping the man and his friends and family in my thoughts tonight, hoping for a peaceful recovery.

Comment by Thistle — 7:40 pm November 1, 2012 #

13. Sorry, rmp, I have so many words in the filter, that should have been caught. Will be adding a few new ones for those times when we cannot prescreen everything. – TR

Comment by WSB — 7:41 pm November 1, 2012 #

14. I do live very, very close to the house in question. The police handled this, from my view,
    excellent. Emotions were high and it ended with no fired shots and no person was harmed.

Comment by let them swim — 7:54 pm November 1, 2012 #

15. I’m glad everyone’s safe and sound. On a side note…the sunset is beautiful in that picture.

Comment by Westgirl — 8:23 pm November 1, 2012 #

16. Nice picture of the sunset! Why is there a filter on comments? We are all adults, no?

Comment by Marcus M — 8:26 pm November 1, 2012 #

17. No, unfortunately, there are the occasional people who don’t follow the rules – who attempt to troll, attack, speak profanely, write racist/sexist comments, etc. We choose to have a site where garbage like that does not see the light of the day. There are way too many websites where you CAN write any manner of garbage; this isn’t one of them. I’m very chagrined that the comment alluded to here briefly made it through and I apologize deeply to anyone who saw it. And that’s the end of that topic; it’s not what this story is about – TR

Comment by WSB — 8:31 pm November 1, 2012 #

18. Relieved things worked out ok. Praise to the police that were able to wait and talk the man down for the best out come possible. That must be an amazing amount of pressure to deal with. Good job to all involved. I hope the man gets the help he needs.

Comment by Gatewd — 9:08 pm November 1, 2012 #

19. It happens, TR. I am impressed with how well your system works.

Comment by Chris W — 9:12 pm November 1, 2012 #

20. Peace to the man and his family. Thanks so much to police, patient and kind neighbors, and WSB for your considerate coverage.

Comment by Lauren — 9:31 pm November 1, 2012 #

21. Tracy,

Thanks for the work you do keeping this site civil. That is why it’s worth reading.

Marcus M. The fact of the matter is, no. Our society has come to accept abominable behavior as normal, especially on the internet. We don’t need that toxic content here.

Comment by Robert — 9:35 pm November 1, 2012 #

22. I didn’t see the inappropriate comment in question, but I truly appreciate WSB’s code of conduct. Thank you!

Comment by enviromaven — 9:38 pm November 1, 2012 #

23. I am so glad WSB filters these coments. Thank Goodness whatever was typed was deleted before anyone close enough to the situation saw it. I CANNOT stress enough how IMPORTANT it is to call the appropriate people when there is a threat on someones life. No matter how empty you think it is!!!!!! Don’t take that chance. Everyone deserves a happy healthy life. I appreciate all the kind words. No one knows all the details to anyones situation. It can be heartbreaking to see someone you love get to that point. So many mothers, fathers, children, aunts, uncles that love that person are effected too……and read this blog. They need love and support as well. Peace and love to EVERYONE involved.

Comment by Some1special — 9:55 pm November 1, 2012 #

24. Such a beautiful sunset over this man’s house. Hopefully he finds recovery and rediscovers the beauty that is all around him, despite any difficulties he may face in life. Best wishes.

Comment by evergreen — 10:57 pm November 1, 2012 #

25. Any links to a larger rez photo of that police car sunset? It’s a great snap!

Comment by Jasper — 9:50 am November 2, 2012 #

26. I am by no means an interpreter of art, but as evergreen seems to allude to, this photo almost seems appropriate to this situation.

The fieriness in parts of the clouds, and darkness in other parts—a bit of a look of storminess—suggests the torment this man must have been going through. The bits of blue sky, interspersed, suggests hope for a brighter future.

Healing thoughts to this man and his loved ones…

Mike

Comment by miws — 11:05 am November 2, 2012 #

27. I agree life is way to short to make hurtful snide remarks. We just lost a very dear sweet co worker this week to suicide and we are all still hurting and wondering why.
    I am happy the man is safe and gets the help he needs and his family is not hurting from this.

Comment by ltmmgm — 3:41 pm November 2, 2012 #

28. You are great WS Blog! It would be great to have a like button, but saying you are great is better!
    Thanks!

Comment by rmp — 3:41 pm November 2, 2012 #

29. I’m glad it ended the way it did too. I also believe the sunset reflects the situation in many ways.

According to the national mental health website: http://www.nimh.nih.gov – it says “mental disorders are common throughout the United States, affecting tens of millions of people each year.” That’s a lot of people!

Thanks to WSB for adding the phone number for the crisis center.
    Can also phone 211 and people there provide free and confidential information and referrals.

There‘s also the various 12-step programs, however, people have to want it and for the right reason.

Comment by Km — 6:03 pm November 2, 2012 #

30. David Perry, the contributor of that gorgeous sunset photo, lives right there in the ‘hood. He is a very well known free-lance photographer – highly recommended!

Comment by Glen — 12:17 am November 3, 2012 #

31. There was also a beautiful brilliant rainbow right over WS during this. It lasted for over an hour. The world is a beautiful place if you take the time to see it. Let’s hope this man has the chance to enjoy it and everything life has to offer.

Comment by Some1special — 8:46 am November 3, 2012 #