West Seattle Thanksgiving 2012: Giving gifts as well as thanks

November 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm | In 'Nickelsville' encampment, Holidays, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

Long before this week’s downpour brought an outpouring of help for the West Seattle encampment that calls itself Nickelsville, dozens of volunteers from the Vietnamese-American community had already planned to be there today, as they had been last Thanksgiving too. Late this morning, they were there and busy – serving hot gumbo:

… providing free haircuts:

… and giving free flu shots too:

West Seattle’s Vietnamese Cultural Center coordinated the big event again this year. Its director is Lee Bui, at center in the photo below:

The center is in its seventh year of operation and is open to the public every Saturday, noon-3 pm, at 2236 SW Orchard, across from and to the north of Delridge Home Depot.

1. Whoa…what an incredible display of love from a lovely people; America is a team that is so lucky to have these ‘first round draft picks’; they work so hard for themselves and their community! God bless our friends and neighbors in the V-A community!

Comment by CitizenSane — 4:49 pm November 22, 2012 #

2. Makes my heart sing reading this!

Comment by SudsyMaggie — 6:16 pm November 22, 2012 #

3. Hot foot; haircuts; flu shots. Now that’s a trifecta of caring that is substantial and longlasting. THANK YOU

Comment by Margaret in Vashon — 7:56 pm November 22, 2012 #

4. What a wonderful thing! Thank you so much!

Comment by AJP — 9:04 pm November 22, 2012 #

5. Amazing and inspirational!

Comment by Stacy — 8:02 am November 23, 2012 #

6. I’m so thankful to the Vietnamese Cultural Center for once again providing this hot meal and these essential services to the folks at Nickelsville!

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:23 am November 23, 2012 #

7. Wow, what a great thing. Generosity, fantastic!

Comment by Steve — 9:50 am November 23, 2012 #

8. Very very suprised and moved to tears, thank you all of you

Comment by Andre Nguyen — 5:25 pm November 23, 2012 #

9. Mr Joe Biden , please take a look !

Comment by TRAI MAI — 7:24 pm November 23, 2012 #

10. Thank you to all who have brought true meaning to Thanksgiving.

Comment by anti-obstruction — 8:12 pm November 23, 2012 #

11. It made my night to read this! I love my West Seattle neighbors.

Comment by Evergreen — 7:05 pm November 24, 2012 #

12. What a great story. Now there’s something in my eye. ;-)

Comment by BeckBe — 7:49 pm November 24, 2012 #

13. Last year there was only one person cutting hair and this year brought three people out! Having seen the huge smiles after haircuts really made an impression on me. I wish I had been able to help out this year (my turn to work Thanksgiving at UWMC). Most certainly as I drove to work the early morn, I saw the sun beginning to rise and thought to myself it was going to be a great day.

Comment by LyndaB — 11:03 pm November 24, 2012 #