West Seattle restaurants: Pizzeria Credo coming to The Junction

November 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 30 Comments

Thanks to Aimee Pellegrini from La Romanza Bistro Italiano (WSB sponsor) for the tip that led us to this story: Something is finally moving forward in the former Garlic Jim’s spot in The Junction (4520 California SW; file photo at right), vacant more than a year. Briefly, it was slated to be a Round Table – we reported in March on a liquor-license filing, which usually means plans are fairly far down the road – but that went nowhere, and the space remained posted as “for lease.” Then today, Aimee mentioned the windows were papered over, and we started sleuthing. The trail finally led to Pizzeria Credo. WSB researcher/editorial assistant Katie Meyer talked this afternoon with proprietor Jacques Nawar, who says his new establishment will serve wood-fired pizza, some other entrees, and appetizers. He says he is extensively remodeling the space, expanding the dining area and adding a full bar in the back. He told Katie he wants to make it a “beautiful” place for West Seattle. If all goes well, he hopes to have Pizzeria Credo open by February.

1. What’s going in the old Windermere spot across from Thriftway? They have been working over there.

Comment by A — 4:29 pm November 13, 2012 #

2. One word “deep dish!”

Comment by Hollywood — 4:33 pm November 13, 2012 #

3. A – don’t know. Maybe somebody else has inside info. The newest application on the DPD page – absolutely undated, though – says medical office, but further sleuthing will be required to see if that’s so.

Comment by WSB — 4:39 pm November 13, 2012 #

4. Great news – love wood fired pizza! Any word on what is going on just up the block from the new Firefly crepe place?

Comment by Laura — 4:50 pm November 13, 2012 #

5. I always hope to see success for anyone who’s willing to take the risk in opening a restaurant, and I hope this one does well, too.

…but I have to say my first thought when I read this was, “oh, geez, not another pizza joint”. Do we really have a shortage of pizza places in WS? Why couldn’t this be a casual french bistro, a ***good*** Chinese restaurant (not pan-asian, not Thai…), or some other restaurant variant that we don’t have yet in WS. Oh, well, I’ll keep hoping!

Comment by Mongo — 5:00 pm November 13, 2012 #

6. Sounds delicious! Please oh please offer a good gluten free crust! :)

Comment by Trish — 5:03 pm November 13, 2012 #

7. If you mean the board-fronted spot, that’s the future location of Sound Ad Group, the people who have temporarily been in the ex-Petco, future mixed-use development.

Comment by WSB — 5:10 pm November 13, 2012 #

8. Yay! Ditto Trish: Gluten Free crust please :)

Comment by Val — 5:12 pm November 13, 2012 #

9. Sounds great to me!!

Comment by Star 55 — 5:16 pm November 13, 2012 #

10. We love Jacques cooking and magic tricks and can’t wait to see what he does with this new space!!

Comment by hollyplace — 5:33 pm November 13, 2012 #

11. I agree with Mongo.

Comment by Dakota — 5:37 pm November 13, 2012 #

12. A good wood fired pizza place would be very welcome at the junction. Good luck, and make it good!

Comment by WS Neighbor — 6:05 pm November 13, 2012 #

13. I hear the old Windermere space across from Thriftway has been split up and the occupied/leased space will be a new Eye Dr. or Eyeglass shop.

Comment by jissy — 6:21 pm November 13, 2012 #

14. Given the “medical office” notation, that would make sense. Thanks! The butcher paper indeed is up over only about half the space.

Comment by WSB — 6:22 pm November 13, 2012 #

15. Gluten free pizza PLEEZ

Comment by Jan — 6:31 pm November 13, 2012 #

16. “I say I’m allergic to gluten, when really, I’m just on a diet! Flaritin helps reinforce my lie.” — SNL last weekend. Haha

I am very excited to have a wood-fired pizza joint nearby! I hope it’s very different than Talarico’s.. hopefully more casual and comfy. I’d go more if it didn’t feel like such a pick-up bar sometimes.

Comment by SaraS — 6:48 pm November 13, 2012 #

17. That’s great that it’s going to be a locally owned small business instead of a chain. Hope he does well.

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 8:08 pm November 13, 2012 #

18. Agree with mongo!!!

Comment by denbol — 9:16 pm November 13, 2012 #

19. The pizza at Abbondonza is delicious…and the owner promises that the new place will be even better. Can’t wait.

Comment by wyatt — 10:59 pm November 13, 2012 #

20. Thank you for kindly not saying YOU LEFT THIS PART OUT – I’m now noticing, following a few trails back around, that Mr. Nawar also owns Abbondanza (in Morgan Junction). I had heard they changed owners not too long ago but we never got a chance to do a story on that, so I didn’t recognize the name and it apparently didn’t come up in Katie’s brief conversation with him today – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:06 pm November 13, 2012 #

21. Jacque- Waiting with abticipation!

Comment by Lisa Lehman — 1:33 am November 14, 2012 #

22. I’m sure it will be great, and I’ll give them a try, but I would really prefer to see something more unique than another pizza place. That’s like another teriyaki joint or another Mexican restaurant or another espresso shop . . . well, you get the picture. I just keep hoping for more variety in West Seattle rather than the same old, same old. Good Luck to them and I’m absolutely thrilled this is not a chain pizzeria going in. Do they deliver????

Comment by Ray West — 4:00 am November 14, 2012 #

23. Nobody’s got anything on Proletariat! Let them try

Comment by K. — 7:12 am November 14, 2012 #

24. Another pizza joint? Lemme see…we have Pegasus, Pizzeria 22, Pagliacci, Garlic Jims, Spiros, Zeeks, Domino’s, Abbondanza, Talaricos, I’m missing like 7 more. Good luck to them!

Comment by MLD — 10:43 am November 14, 2012 #

25. Garlic Jim’s is no longer in operation. That’s where Pizzeria Credo is opening. Otherwise, you missed Slices, Amante, Luciano’s, Pizza Hut, Giannoni’s, A Pizza Mart, Papa John’s, Papa Murphy’s, Olympia, Red Star – and in nearby White Center, Proletariat Pizza. (Anyone else?) And yet no 2 are the same.

Comment by WSB — 10:55 am November 14, 2012 #

26. Always nice to see a new pizza place in WS. I am hoping they have some gluten filled offerings.

Comment by Harry Reems — 5:11 pm November 14, 2012 #

27. I agree with WSB that none of these pizza places feel the same nor taste the same. I have tried them all and tend to favor a few based on the how I’m feeling. My favorite on a hot sunny day is Slices @Alki because you sit outside and on a winter day Spiro’s or Pegasus because they are hearty but my all time favorite is Veraci in Ballard-please come to West Seattle!

Comment by diane — 9:46 am November 17, 2012 #

28. Very sorry folks pizza is pizza.

Comment by denise — 8:39 pm November 18, 2012 #

29. Pizza is pizza???

Yeah, and music is music….

Comment by Paul — 8:07 pm November 19, 2012 #

30. Said the person with no TASTE!!!

Comment by Derek — 11:11 am November 20, 2012 #