West Seattle Election Day 2012 scenes: On the overpass

November 6, 2012 at 9:08 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle politics | 21 Comments

Before the results start coming in tonight, we’ll be roaming to cover Election Day scenes in West Seattle. First, we went to the Fauntleroy overpass, to check on sign-waving. Don’t know if others were there earlier, but at 8:30 am, we found one sign-waver: Chris Porter, with an Approve Referendum 74 sign.

P.S. Still haven’t sent in your ballot yet? The King County ballot-dropoff van is at West Seattle Stadium till 8 pm – no stamps necessary. Turn off 35th SW just south of Avalon.

1. Thank you Chris Porter!

Comment by WSFoodie — 9:25 am November 6, 2012 #

2. Thank you Chris!

Comment by seewhatsealionsstart — 9:32 am November 6, 2012 #

3. Go Chris!

Comment by rmmcdonald — 9:33 am November 6, 2012 #

4. Thanks, Chris!!

Comment by Chris W — 10:06 am November 6, 2012 #

5. I say mail it in. We dropped our ballots Sat at stadium and they still don’t register as received.

Comment by E — 10:12 am November 6, 2012 #

6. yay!

I was going to stop by the overpass on my way home around 4pmish – and was hoping some folks would be there that I could wave some signs around with (Approve r74, Obama). I don’t have any signs but was hoping to mooch one off another person. Anyone know where I could pick up a sign today if there is no one at the overpass? (hopefully others will be there too though!)

Comment by lina — 10:17 am November 6, 2012 #

7. Thanks Chris! Taking the time out of your day, out in the cold, and standing up for what’s right. You could be warm indoors sitting in front of the TV watching Fox News . . .

Comment by Carter — 10:29 am November 6, 2012 #

8. It is nice to see someone with a great cause on OUR overpass.

This is an extremely important day both locally and nationally, which will define our future. As a blue collar worker who faces challenges each day to support my family, I am praying that President Obama is re-elected, and Jay Inslee is elected as our governor.

Comment by Harry Reems — 10:51 am November 6, 2012 #

9. E, now that the volumes are getting heavier, the lag has increased. You can certainly call the King County Elections Office if you’re worried it got lost somewhere – 206 206 8683.

Comment by WSB — 10:52 am November 6, 2012 #

10. Speaking of praying … one event:
    Election Day Prayer Vigil

Tuesday, November 6, NOON – 1 PM
    Saint John the Baptist Episcopal Church
    3050 California Avenue SW

A prayer vigil for our nation, for all candidates, and for wisdom as we vote for referenda will be held at Saint John the Baptist Episcopal Church. All are welcome to come for prayer, reflection, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Comment by WSB — 10:57 am November 6, 2012 #

11. I voted Republican except for Brad Owen, so in order to avoid being ripped to shreds figuratively by Seattle’s tolerant liberals I’m only admitting it anonymously online, and to friends. Oh, and I have a McKenna bumper sticker on my car — I figure he’s got enough D support that it won’t get keyed.

Comment by GOP on the QT — 11:17 am November 6, 2012 #

12. Here’s a “scene” for you – my husband was just informed by the King County elections office that his ballot was rejected because the signature doesn’t match. He’s been voting at our address for 15 years, but they claim the signature on file dates back to the 1970s. And, they won’t let him come down to sign for comparison today, so basically his vote won’t get counted until after the election is over. It would be interesting to know how many others are having this experience.

Comment by sarelly — 11:21 am November 6, 2012 #

13. Sarelly – happened to me last year. And I never got time to go down and show my signature, so my vote that election did not count. One reason I REALLY miss in-person voting … TR

Comment by WSB — 11:24 am November 6, 2012 #

14. It has happened to me as well sarelly. I have actually been waiting for the ‘your signature doesn’t match’ letter since I mailed my ballot in, but I have not gotten it. This is the first year!

Comment by westcoastdeb — 11:39 am November 6, 2012 #

15. I’ve had my signature rejected in the past, and it has happened to family members as well. We never were told we had to go in anywhere, there was just a phone call, and then a form to fill out and mail back in.
    It didn’t seem like a big deal to me, and comparing it to problems in other states – photo ID requirements? Long lines? Power out at the polling station? – it seems a pretty decent way of confirming that everything’s as it should be.

Comment by Lura Ercolano — 12:23 pm November 6, 2012 #

16. Yay Chris!

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 12:23 pm November 6, 2012 #

17. Thank you, Chris Porter. I am always impressed by people who live their principles. This is a man who let us in the medical clinic when he was just trying to catch up on paperwork because he saw my little girl’s injured nose and knew that he could fix her up better than we. He didn’t need to be kind and helpful; he chose to, then as now.

Comment by Melissa Aaron — 12:31 pm November 6, 2012 #

18. What makes it confusing is that there is a deadline – Dec 6 – for the Secretary of State’s office to “certify” the final vote tally. Meanwhile, voters have the deadline of having our ballots received by today. If a ballot is received by today, yet “challenged,” presumably it will still be counted when the challenge is cleared up – or so says the office of the Sec of State. But what does that say about “official” election results that are publicized today (or tonight or tomorrow) if, according to an article in the Seattle Times, 40% of the votes won’t even be counted today? Does that mean the reported result in national news reflects only 60% of the local, and can the official result change, if when Dec 6 rolls around, that uncounted 40% changes the outcome?

Comment by sarelly — 2:30 pm November 6, 2012 #

19. The results are announced roughly once a day between now and certification day. King County counts them in batches. What’s counted tonight and announced by King County around 8:15 pm or so probably won’t even include ballots dropped off today. I have covered elections for more than quarter of a century – most of it here, including 15 years of producing TV election coverage – and even way back when, that’s how it happened. NEVER were all the ballots received/counted by the end of the night. In the olden days, they would make counts till 1 am or so and then resume the next day. The rule is that your ballot be postmarked by today OR put in an official dropbox (including the vans) by 8 pm. But the ballots mailed today may not make it in for a few days, and they’ll be counted as part of the incremental tallying. Oregon apparently has by-mail voting and their rule IS “must be received by …” but not ours. – TR

Comment by WSB — 2:35 pm November 6, 2012 #

20. For reasons I do not know, it can take up to 10 days for King County votes to be counted.

Comment by sarah — 4:56 pm November 6, 2012 #

21. I support 74 Chris and thank for the care you have given me!!!

Comment by rmp — 7:41 pm November 6, 2012 #