West Seattle Crime Watch: Early-morning burglary arrest

November 5, 2012 at 9:03 am | In Crime, West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 23 Comments

Just in via SPD Blotter – news of an arrest following an early-morning break-in:

The couple was asleep when they were awakened by the door alarm at about 2:45 this morning. The husband went downstairs to check the house when he saw an unknown male dressed in all black, inside the home on the first floor. The burglar apparently did not see the homeowner. The man went back upstairs and he and his wife locked themselves in an upstairs room and called 911.

Southwest Precinct officers arrived quickly and contained the house in the 9300 Block of Fauntleroy Way SW. Officers could see the suspect inside the house walking around. Officers gave the suspect verbal commands to give himself up. The suspect ran and hid inside the house. Officers entered the home and began clearing the house, and soon located the suspect hiding behind a couch in a downstairs room. He was taken into custody without incident. The suspect refused to cooperate with officers or provide any personal information. He was later booked into the King County Jail for Investigation of Burglary. Detectives will now handle the follow-up investigation.

The excerpt is from an SPD Blotter post that also reports an unrelated North Seattle burglary arrest.

1. Wow, this is scary!

Comment by MRS.SR — 9:26 am November 5, 2012 #

2. So smart to have called 9-1-1 rather than trying to scare off the intruder (a natural response), so that the police could catch him in action!

Glad the homeowners are safe.

Comment by happy — 9:54 am November 5, 2012 #

3. Oh my gosh that is so so scary, glad it all ended with everyone safe. WOW

Comment by SillyGoose — 10:53 am November 5, 2012 #

4. wow, please keep up posted on any follow up story. Very creepy!!

Comment by B-squared — 11:07 am November 5, 2012 #

5. Dang, hopefully he is not out on the street tomorrow to do this again.

Comment by John Q Public — 11:22 am November 5, 2012 #

6. Awesome when the system works like this!

Comment by Jason — 11:37 am November 5, 2012 #

7. That is really scary! How can people see the photographs of those criminals? For instance, that couple of thieves who were arrested not long ago on a stolen Honda car full of stolen stereos. How can we see their faces and recognize them if we happen to see them in our neighborhoods?

Comment by Beto Álvarez — 12:19 pm November 5, 2012 #

8. Oh my gosh that’s terrifying. Those poor people… I’m glad their caught this jerk and hopefully he’ll stay off the street for a long time.

Comment by EmmyJane — 12:23 pm November 5, 2012 #

9. Regarding finding out if your stuff was among what was recovered – hopefully it’s identifiable? Engraved ID on valuables, or you have the serial numbers, etc. – that’s what police urge. I will ask the question, though. Regarding faces – unless there is an urgent manhunt for someone, pictures are not released. If I can even find out the name (police reports are usually released with names blacked out), I will follow the case through the system as best I can, and if I am able to go to court somewhere along the line, AND if the judge allows photography … maybe then. But that’s somewhere down the line. – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:46 pm November 5, 2012 #

10. The concept of innocent until proven guilty can be a pain sometimes. It would be legally wrong to distribute a picture of a suspect that ostracizes him from the community, since he might turn out to be innocent.
    The problem is that we’re 99.9999% sure he’s guilty (caught red-handed), so it seems like a protection he doesn’t deserve.
    Maybe we should ammend the constitution to say innocent until proven guilty “unless they’re caught red-handed –screw ‘em if they’re caught red-handed.”

Comment by Alex — 1:25 pm November 5, 2012 #

11. The suspect is very lucky he entered their house and not mine.

Comment by marty — 1:55 pm November 5, 2012 #

12. Smart Marty. I’m with you.

Comment by Justme — 2:33 pm November 5, 2012 #

13. The call I would have made would have been 1911 A1 .45.

Comment by Ex-Westwood Resident — 3:30 pm November 5, 2012 #

14. I wish he would have entered your house marty. That way he would be done and no one else would have to worry about him terrorizing their home. The system will put him back out on the street in no time and he’ll be back to breaking into homes or cars and doing what he can to ruin things for the rest of us. I’m curious as to how long its gonna take before people are completely fed up and demand more out of our system. Breaking into someone’s house is an extremely serious crime and should be treated as such. People get PTSD from having their house broken into and I can’t imagine how violated they must feel. Minimum ten year sentence for breaking into someone’s house. Must be frustrating for the police to nab these scum and then have to nab them again a few weeks later cuz the system doesn’t punish them.

Comment by a — 3:47 pm November 5, 2012 #

15. I echo the last 4 comments

Comment by Todd — 6:43 pm November 5, 2012 #

16. I hope he’s the same guy that broke into my House on Friday – and I’m with Marty – he’s lucky i wasn’t home……

Comment by Ryan — 8:04 pm November 5, 2012 #

17. If they heard their alarm and the robber stayed in the house, he must be pretty brazen or pretty dumb!!!

Comment by rmp — 8:32 pm November 5, 2012 #

18. Similar arrest happened in Kent, few months ago.
    Perp was caught doing the same thing *AGAIN* a week later. Scroll down at link—>

Comment by Big Don — 4:45 am November 6, 2012 #

19. I wonder how long it will be before this guy is out of jail. I,too, wish he had entered Marty’s house!

Comment by phil dirt — 7:45 am November 6, 2012 #

20. If we are putting wishes out there:

I wish he could get the rehabilitation that he obviously needs and becomes a contributing member of society.

I’d also like a pony.

Comment by Anthroman — 11:36 am November 6, 2012 #

21. Anthroman- I think you have a better chance of getting a pony.

Comment by Krm66 — 3:40 pm November 6, 2012 #

22. I may be a small woman but my 12 gauge will take care of anyone breaking in my home and threatening my family, saves a lot of tax dollars too! Hard to questions someone guilt when they are found inside my home and I’m not waiting for them to harm my family first.

Comment by Kate — 12:00 am November 8, 2012 #

23. Wow, there are a lot of online cowboys who can’t wait to fill people with lead.

Comment by downtown — 1:23 pm November 9, 2012 #