West Seattle Crime Watch: Car-prowl suspects arrested

November 3, 2012 at 10:08 am | In Crime, West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 21 Comments

Just in via SPD Blotter – two arrests early this morning:

The efforts of officers working an auto theft/car prowl emphasis patrol paid off early this morning when they responded to a report of a car prowl in progress and took into custody the two suspects.

At about 2:20 this morning radio broadcast a car prowl in progress in the 3800 Block of 45th Avenue SW. Several William Sector officers were in the area already on an assigned auto theft/car prowl emphasis patrol. Two officers located the described suspect vehicle one minute later, and stopped it at SW Spokane St. and 46th Avenue SW. The vehicle and one suspect were positively identified by a witness, and a large quantity of apparently stolen property, including at least 8 car stereos, was visible inside the car. These suspects are also likely responsible for a car prowl from earlier tonight, in which the suspects were seen leaving in a dark 2-door Honda.

Both suspects, a 26-year-old male and a 32-year-old female, were booked into the King County Jail for Car Prowl and the suspect vehicle, a green 1998 Honda Accord, was towed to the processing room, pending a warrant. Detectives will now handle the follow up investigation.

We’ll be checking to see if the helicopter reported briefly over The Junction a few hours earlier was related.

1. Awesome work SPD! Book ‘em!

Comment by Rumbles — 10:23 am November 3, 2012 #

2. They are probably the same thieves who stole our 1998 Honda CRV. Luckily the police found it in the White Center, and except for the stereo, it was almost unscathed. We found lots of mail on the back seat, mostly junk mail. Awesome job SPD and King Co. Sheriff!!! Thanks.

Comment by Beto Álvarez — 11:00 am November 3, 2012 #

3. Nicely done SPD!

Comment by Mike — 11:17 am November 3, 2012 #

4. Yet another car prowler escaped police around 6 am in the vicinity of 36th Ave SW between 102nd – 104th. ‘Tis the season.

Comment by anonyme — 11:41 am November 3, 2012 #

5. Lord how I hate a thief! Good job SPD. Just hope our judicial system doesn’t wrist-slap.

Comment by Chuck & Sally's Van Man — 11:45 am November 3, 2012 #

6. Will end up being a slap on the wrist and they will be back out there breaking into cars and houses and doing what they can to ruin things for those of us who live an honest life. I got an idea. How about when you get caught red handed by the police, instead of them taking you to jail and processing you, they cut your hand off. The system isn’t doing its job at protecting us or our belongings, so unless some drastic measures are taken, the thieves are going to continue to thrive. Getting really sick of reading about all these thieves but am even more sick about the state of our judicial system and why it is broken and not doing its job.

Comment by a — 12:22 pm November 3, 2012 #

7. It’s funny how hard some people work at not having to work.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 12:37 pm November 3, 2012 #

8. Now thats news we can use!

Comment by DRW — 2:14 pm November 3, 2012 #

9. Sentencing ranges are set by the Legislature. Judges are bound by the limits in the ranges, and by the crime charged (and often negotiated down to a lesser degree in a plea deal) by the prosecutor. Want higher sentences…lobby the legislature, and be prepared to pay more for jails and prisons.

Comment by Carole — 5:34 pm November 3, 2012 #

10. I would gladly pay for more jails and prisons if it meant it would keep the scum of the earth away from the rest of us so that we don’t have to live in fear of our cars and homes being robbed

Comment by a — 6:20 pm November 3, 2012 #

11. I wonder if these are the people who smashed my window for a stupid GPS on Halloween.

Comment by Tony — 8:33 pm November 3, 2012 #

12. I hope these are the guys that broke into my car Friday night and I can at least get my passport back tomorrow morning. If not, it is going to be a panic day as I am supposed to be on an international flight on Tuesday. Sentencing for these guys typically goes 365 days, 364 suspended and credit for 1 day served. Have seen this several times. Nothing is going to change. I just feel like a dope for leaving my briefcase in sight in the car. I know better.

Comment by Dan Valente — 9:17 am November 4, 2012 #

13. Carol,
    You are correct, but a perp has to be seen by a judge to receive the sentences.
    In many cases the DA chooses not to prosecute crimes like this due to the backlog of cases in the court system.
    So they “plea” out with community service or a minimal fine.
    About the only ones that go through the trial process are the ones that have commited the crime numerous times (like over 10 times) and been caught.

Comment by Ex-Westwood Resident — 12:08 pm November 4, 2012 #

14. What happens with the recovered stolen property?
    Who do I contact at the West Seattle Station…I would like to have my glasses back.

Comment by John — 6:33 am November 5, 2012 #

15. I’d also like to know if my property was recovered. Who do I call to find out if these were the jerks who broke into my car? I’m on 36th and Trenton.

Comment by Tony — 7:34 am November 5, 2012 #

16. Good luck getting your stuff back. In my personal experience, they (police) don’t care about the little guy.

Comment by Single mother — 12:32 pm November 5, 2012 #

17. So the property gets confiscated and ends up in an evidence locker then gets sold at auction?
    That sucks!

Comment by John — 1:46 pm November 5, 2012 #

18. Who said that? If you have reported your items stolen, they work to make a match. That’s why having ID of some sort (serial numbers for the police report, etchings, etc.) really helps. If you have reported your items stolen, you should have a case number and a detective you can call to find out if any of this was yours – TR

Comment by WSB — 2:24 pm November 5, 2012 #

19. We had a window broken out of our Honda in the 2700 block of 48th SW on October 24th, and the stereo and tools in the trunk were stolen. I’ll have to update our police report with more details in case these guys were responsible and the police recovered our items. Getting the glass repaired cost way more than the value of the items that were stolen. Hope they can make something stick in court.

Comment by Patrick Nealson — 5:11 pm November 5, 2012 #

20. Thank you SPD!

Comment by Think Again — 7:26 am November 6, 2012 #

21. Just got a call from an officer at the West Precinct…they found none of my stuff…time to go back to the eye doctor…damn!

Comment by John — 1:22 pm November 14, 2012 #