TRAFFIC/TRANSIT TODAY: Friday updates

November 2, 2012 at 6:05 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle traffic alerts | 19 Comments

(SDOT camera looking at northbound 99 @ Lander; West Seattle Bridge cams not working currently)
6:05 AM: An early-morning crash at 1st and Seneca involving a Seattle Police vehicle is blocking the northbound Alaskan Way Viaduct‘s Seneca offramp, so among other things, that means a bus reroute, says Metro:

Metro’s Friday AM commute is underway and starts off with Routes 21E, 55, 56E, 57 & RapidRide C & D Lines temporarily rerouted and using 4 Av S into Downtown Seattle due to blockage at the Alaskan Way Viaduct off ramp.

6:42 AM UPDATE: The ramp has now reopened – and Metro says buses are back to their normal routing.

9:47 AM UPDATE: We can of course share your photos from the commute, too, any time – just got this West Seattle Water Taxi view with today’s wonderful sunrise, from Jennifer:

From sunrise/sunset colors, to crowded/uncrowded buses, to weather/traffic scenes, share a photo any time.

3:43 PM UPDATE: There’s a backup on the southbound Viaduct – a truck didn’t make clearance under the lid, according to a photo sent to us by Riley:

5:26 PM: Metro just tweeted that more RapidRide C Line evening runs are coming:

1. Would be nice if the city had a webcam pointing at the Seneca off ramp.

Comment by Robert — 6:31 am November 2, 2012 #

2. Would be nice this morning if even the bridge cams were working! Anyway – our friends at KING say the ramp is about to reopen. As soon as we have confirmation of that (we browse TV while monitoring traffic in the mornings as well as Twitter, the scanner, etc.) we’ll update. Metro is pretty good about updates too, via e-mail, text alert, Twitter, so we know they’ll confirm too – TR

Comment by WSB — 6:40 am November 2, 2012 #

3. ..and, it’s open.

Comment by WSB — 6:42 am November 2, 2012 #

4. What a relief, cuz I’m on the C line (Sea Lion?) right now and he has taken the usual route.

Comment by DonaLuisa — 6:48 am November 2, 2012 #

5. As of 7:35, the 120 is still taking 4th instead of the viaduct.

Comment by Amiee — 7:38 am November 2, 2012 #

6. Odd, my 120 took the normal route and we get downtown about 7:30 or so.

Packed bus this morning, but very little delay getting onto, over, and off the bridge. Fairly quick commute.

Comment by jedifarfy — 7:57 am November 2, 2012 #

7. Cool shot! Where did you find this cam?

Comment by kevin — 7:58 am November 2, 2012 #

8. 57 eastbound at 8:00 am making very fast progress and with a nice sunrise to boot.

Comment by Glenn — 7:59 am November 2, 2012 #

9. Took the 55 from Admiral around 7:08. Smooth sailing.

Comment by Chris W — 8:00 am November 2, 2012 #

10. Kevin – this Viaduct cam has been on the WSB Traffic page for some months. I don’t know if it had an interesting angle when you looked at it – I’ve been offline in a meeting for about an hour – but it usually looks north over 99 from SODO.

Comment by WSB — 9:14 am November 2, 2012 #

11. Had to go in a little later than usual today. As the last bus to leave near my house is 7:30 AM, and the latest bus is just over a mile walk and leaves at 9:00 AM, I drove to the Junction a little after 9:00 AM. Granted, I could have walked the mile plus and hopped on the 50 that then would have taken me an additional 15 minutes to the Junction where I then would have waited for a bus that has no schedule…. As I tried to find a place to park near the Junction, I see that I am not the only one who has chosen this path. I finally get to the stop. The reader says 12 minutes. Then immediately it says 6 minutes. Then 7 minutes. Then nothing. Then 2 minutes! The bus arrives, and it is standing room only.

Comment by dq — 10:46 am November 2, 2012 #

12. Is the watertaxi running late tonight with the Sounders playoff game?

Comment by lazybeard — 11:59 am November 2, 2012 #

13. No. The county said the extra runs would only be possible during the summer schedule, not the fall/winter.

Comment by WSB — 11:59 am November 2, 2012 #

14. It just took 20 minutes to go from 3rd & Pike to 2nd and Seneca because of cars blocking intersections and bus lanes. I dream of a day when we can get more traffic controls so this stops happening.

Comment by jedifarfy — 5:06 pm November 2, 2012 #

15. Thoughts of my first day taking the RapidRide to work.

Overall grade: C+

The good.
    Got a seat on both the way in and the ride home. 11:15ish ride into downtown, 4:40 ride home.

The bad.
    Wifi was broken on the bus this morning. Failed to connect with my Kindle tablet and my iPhone.

Card reader at the stop for the ride home was broken (1st ave queen anne & Denny)

Waited about 25 minutes for a bus for the ride home.

Comment by KC — 5:07 pm November 2, 2012 #

16. KC, Thanks for these notes. I’ll pass them along. Hoping frequency improves as we phase in more buses for the C Line evening commute to West Seattle. http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/NewsCenter/NewsReleases/2012/November/nr110212_MoreCLineTrips.aspx

Comment by Jeff Switzer, King County Metro — 7:16 pm November 2, 2012 #

17. @jeff Switzer, King County Metro. Clap Clap Clap. I can’t wait to see more busses and regular frequency on the evening commute home!

Comment by glenn — 9:00 pm November 2, 2012 #

18. @Jeff Switzer thanks for the reply and metro’s continued persistence in making this work better for all of us.

Comment by KC — 9:55 pm November 2, 2012 #

19. While driving north on California around 3:30ish pm yesterday (Friday) I thought it extremely odd that 3 RR C-line busses were all heading south within a few blocks of each other….It seems they come in clusters instead of the timed spacing that would allow riders not to have to wait so long Downtown to get home. Why are there such timing issues with this new system. PS. Rode RR home to WS on Thursday around 1pm. Waited 15 min…bus was standing room only even at that time of day.

Comment by the dancing kat — 3:17 pm November 3, 2012 #