Update: Mystery boom(s) in Lincoln Park vicinity

November 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm | In West Seattle news, WS miscellaneous | 7 Comments

8:55 PM: Over the past week or so, we’ve received scattered reports of unexplained booms in the Lincoln Park vicinity. No fire/crime/injury reports resulted, so they’ve remained a mystery. We’re uphill from south Lincoln Park and just finally heard one for ourselves. We’re monitoring the scanner/911 log and if anything results, we’ll update. Nothing so far, and it’s been five-plus minutes. We also launched a discussion on the WSB Facebook page and there are several reports of people seeing a flash in the ferry-dock area at the time.

9:54 PM: An hour’s gone by, with no report of injury/fire/damage/power outage etc. (not even a 911 dispatch) So, a mystery, for now.

1. I was in the ferry line on the dock at Fauntleroy and saw a flash of light out of the corner of my eye an instant before a boom (that one was the only one I heard, personally).

As far as I could tell, my best guess is it came from somewhere along the beach path in Lincoln Park.

Comment by Ken — 10:29 pm November 17, 2012 #

2. It sounded like it came from the south parking lot of Lincoln Park. Very loud!

Comment by Greg Dirks — 10:31 pm November 17, 2012 #

3. Heard it too in Arbor Heights

Comment by Nitro — 12:33 am November 18, 2012 #

4. I live five blocks from the ferry and we can hear it too. To me it sounds like a large firecracker m80 or something…I have heard at least 4 over the past 6 months or so. The weird thing is that there is always only one and its random nights and times…like Tuesday at 2am and then Friday at 10…

Comment by alkitony — 12:17 pm November 18, 2012 #

5. Fireworks? This is Diwali and fireworks
    are common.

Comment by Jenna W. — 2:45 pm November 18, 2012 #

6. Certainly might have been fireworks, which FWIW are illegal in city limits, even something simple like sparklers, let alone something loud enough to be heard for blocks around. Thanks for the Diwali reminder – we’ll watch that for the calendar next year: http://www.diwali2012.in

Comment by WSB — 2:48 pm November 18, 2012 #

7. Its idiots lighting up those md80 bombs late at night in the park.

Comment by sheeba — 3:50 pm November 19, 2012 #