Bail set at $250,000 for suspect in car attack on Sealth students

November 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 17 Comments

The 37-year-old woman accused of driving her car deliberately into two Chief Sealth International High School students on Wednesday, sending the 17- and 18-year-old girls to the hospital, has just appeared in court for a bail hearing. The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office says bail was set at $250,000, and their deadline for filing charges is Tuesday. Probable cause was found for two potential counts of second-degree assault. While the 17-year-old was released from the hospital Wednesday night, the documents say the 18-year-old is in critical condition. Ahead, the police narrative from the court documents:

We are not identifying the suspect, who is not yet charged, nor the victims, so they are identified only as “suspect” or “18-year-old victim” and “17-year-old victim”:

On 11-28-2012 uniformed officers of the SPO was dispatched to 8620 26 AV SW for an assault.

Prior to arrival the call was changed to a vehicle vs pedestrian hit and run. On arrival there were 2 pedestrians lying in the street being treated by SFD. Both were identified as the listed victims. Witnesses at the scene identified the vehicle as a blk honda … that had struck the victims. A witness who described himself as the suspect’s neighbor identified her as the driver of the vehicle. Witnesses stated that there was a physical altercation with one of the victim’s who had been struck and the driver prior to the accident.

Witnesses stated that after the fight was over (suspect) then got into her vehicle and located (18-y-o victim). She got out of her car and chased her with a taser.

(suspect) was unable to catch (18-y-o victim) so she got back into her vehicle and drove around the block.

(Suspect) then was facing (18-y-o victim) and (17-y-o victim) and accelerated at a high rate of speed directly at them without stopping. Both Victims were struck head on and transported to HMC with serious injuries.

Officers spoke with (suspect) on the phone and she stated that she was scared and that people were surrounding her car and that she would turn herself in at 16:00 hrs today to the SW PCT. (Suspect) failed to show up at the pct.

On 11-29-12 (Suspect) turned herself in at the S. Pct. She was then transported to the SPD Homicide & Assault unit. Before she was interviewed a story was located on the internet by King 5 news regarding this assault. The story stated that the person responsible wished to tell her side of the story. The reporter stated that the person had stated that her car was surrounded and that is why she struck them. I mirandized her on video and she stated she understood them. I asked her if that was her in the news story and in the white car and she nodded in the affirmative. I then asked her if she was the person that stated
that her car was surrounded and she again nodded in the affirmative. She then went on about how she was told that they would only film her from the neck down but when she arrived they were already filming her and her friend so she drove away. I left the room and returned to get her side of the incident and at
that point she requested to speak with an attorney. I then asked her if she was aware that she was going to jail and she nodded yes.

She was then transported -to-KCJ and booked-investigation for two counts of felony assault. At this time (18-y-o victim) is in critical condition with numerous broken bones and major head trauma. (17-y-o victim) was able to be released on 11-29-12 from HMC.

17 Comments

  1. Thanks for the update WSB!

    Comment by scout 1 — 4:13 pm November 30, 2012 #

  2. Sigh…. this sickens me. It’s beyond my comprehension.

    Comment by pam — 4:24 pm November 30, 2012 #

  3. I want to know who the suspect is. Just out of curiosity.

    Comment by Guy — 4:42 pm November 30, 2012 #

  4. The Seattle Times online names the alleged female perpetrator.

    Comment by Flickertail — 5:09 pm November 30, 2012 #

  5. They have a different editorial standard than we do in that regard. Ours is the same one held by almost every newsroom in which I have ever worked – with the occasional exception, you wait until prosecutors file charges. That still doesn’t mean the person is guilty, but it means that prosecutors have determined they believe there is enough evidence to convict a suspect. So it’s a helpful barometer. But other news organizations may make different decisions. Her name will not be published here, either in our news coverage or in comments, until and unless charges are filed. We also generally do not publish crime victims’ names and are not planning to do so in this case, though at least one TV station identified the girls. Again, different editorial standards – TR

    Comment by WSB — 5:25 pm November 30, 2012 #

  6. I like your standards, WSB.

    Comment by Mary — 5:30 pm November 30, 2012 #

  7. Yes, WSB. That is why I did not repeat the info on this blog. I am aware of your standards.

    Comment by Flickertail — 5:45 pm November 30, 2012 #

  8. Thank you, we appreciate it.

    Comment by WSB — 6:12 pm November 30, 2012 #

  9. It’s a shame that 3 lives are irrevocably changed because of some poor choices. I hope the victims in this case heal fully and the alleged suspect receives counseling in addition to whatever punishment is given to her.

    Comment by Use Common Sense — 6:16 pm November 30, 2012 #

  10. I thought it was weird that King 5 identified her yesterday, and today says is not releasing her name.

    Comment by Sarah — 6:26 pm November 30, 2012 #

  11. Every news organization in Seattle identified the 37 year old suspect…..

    Comment by Patrick — 7:33 pm November 30, 2012 #

  12. Not true as of this writing. I don’t have time to look at every story out there but besides us, there’s KING:
    http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattle/Seattle-police–181448191.html

    Comment by WSB — 7:41 pm November 30, 2012 #

  13. Ok, Fair Enough, almost every news organization.

    Comment by Patrick — 7:44 pm November 30, 2012 #

  14. Thank you WSB for your outstanding reporting.

    Comment by Bonnie — 8:24 pm November 30, 2012 #

  15. I appreciate your standards too!

    Comment by Elnora — 9:54 pm November 30, 2012 #

  16. Prayers go out to the victims and the suspects family’s. couldn’t imagine what the suspects family is going through.

    Comment by Bob — 7:18 am December 3, 2012 #

  17. How was her car “surrounded” by 2 people? And chasing them with a taser?! Seriously, this woman’s side of the story makes no sense.

    Even if the victims were being really hatefull /obnoxious – why not call the police on them? Chasing them with a taser on then mowing them down with your vehicle is beyond over reacting – I’m just shaking my head that a 37 year old woman could act so stupid, be so immature, have so little impulse control.

    Comment by Ms. Sparkles — 10:38 am December 3, 2012 #

Sorry, comment time is over.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^