Marination ma kai: West Seattle’s newest restaurant opens tomorrow – if all goes well

October 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 14 Comments

1:09 PM: One week ago, Marination opened the doors of its almost-ready Seacrest Boathouse location for a sneak peek (here’s our coverage) – and now, they’re getting ready to open the doors for real. They’ve announced via Facebook that tomorrow’s the big day. We’re checking to see what time they plan to open.

2:25 PM UPDATE: Went over to Seacrest to get the answer – 7 am tomorrow.

3 PM: Marination co-proprietor Kamala Saxton does have a caveat via e-mail – they are working with their kitchen team today (it did smell good while we were over checking on the time!) and will make the FINAL call tonight regarding opening tomorrow. So by mid-evening, we should get word on whether it’s confirmed, or changed.

8:50 PM UPDATE: 11 am tomorrow with limited menu, full bar, says Kamala – they’re still working out a few things in the kitchen.

1. Yay! Back to the water taxi I go :)

Comment by NeoYogi — 2:15 pm October 3, 2012 #

2. Woo hoo and Mazel tov!

Comment by DF — 2:32 pm October 3, 2012 #

3. Excellent! Any updates on the Copper Coin in Admiral Junction?

Comment by KR — 2:34 pm October 3, 2012 #

4. YUMMY! I hope they still have those spicy pork tortas. Still one of the best things I ever ate.

Comment by Belvidere — 3:12 pm October 3, 2012 #

5. Nice. It would be cool if they could find a place to put that great interpretive sign back about underwater diving in the Alki area. I thought that was really well thought out and a nice place to put it on the wall outside. I also hope they are cool with keeping the kayak business and bike rental business there.

Comment by Grundle — 3:38 pm October 3, 2012 #

6. prepare yourselves, west seattleites who’ve never tried marination at their mobile truck!

your taste buds are about to take a wild ride!
    bring it on!!!!

Comment by kumalavula — 3:47 pm October 3, 2012 #

7. Oooooh, can’t wait! And btw, LOVING the Loll patio furniture (I’ve had mine for almost 5 years and it’s held up so great – despite many falls/winters/springs of snow and rain)!

Comment by Cheryl — 4:45 pm October 3, 2012 #

8. Out of curiosity…how is it they won the contract from the city versus the previous establishment

Comment by alkitony — 6:41 pm October 3, 2012 #

9. Hi AT! Covered here extensively several months back. Best way to find the stories would be to search the site on keyword marination – since that has not come up in any other context – but here’s one story with a fair amount of backstory back toward the beginning of all this:

Comment by WSB — 7:11 pm October 3, 2012 #

10. Ooh, I hope they stay open after 8. I do kung fu Tuesday and Thursday nights and have a hard time finding somewhere to grab dinner afterward that isn’t a fast food chain or a bar. Marination Ma Kai would be perfect!

Comment by datamuse — 8:33 pm October 3, 2012 #

11. For north central ws bike commuters, fairmount springs spills out right across the street from seacrest to make a stop at marination a super easy addition to the normal route into town.

Comment by Smythe — 9:46 pm October 3, 2012 #

12. really datamuse? I found that many West Seattle restaurants don’t close until 9PM and most at 10PM during the week. The WSB restaurant list provides hours for restaurants, I popped up 20 I usually go to and none close before 9PM.

I do look forward to going to Marination, it’ll be great having them in a location near by all the time.

Comment by Mike — 12:04 am October 4, 2012 #

13. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places, Mike. To be fair, since I live way down in Highland Park and am coming from the ID (plenty o places in the ID, to be sure, but a girl wants a change once in awhile), I might need to go a bit further out of my way…

Comment by datamuse — 12:24 am October 4, 2012 #