West Seattle weekend scenes: Alki Beach cleanup

September 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm | In Environment, West Seattle beaches, West Seattle news | 10 Comments

(First 2 photos by Hannah Letinich)
Been to Alki today? Notice something missing? Thanks to volunteers including the ones above, here’s what you’re NOT seeing on and in the Alki Beach sand:

Today’s big work party for International Coastal Cleanup Day, led by partners including Puget Soundkeeper Alliance, is a wrap – but help ‘em out and be sure to toss your non-recyclables and pack out your recyclables next time you’re there!

ADDED SUNDAY NIGHT: Thanks to Tom Foley for additional information and photos. He says about 80 people joined in:

And the cigarette butts alone totaled more than 30 pounds, Tom adds. Two unusual items recovered: a rusty hatchet and pocket knife:

Tom volunteers with Puget Soundkeeper Alliance.

1. I was part of the work party. Guess the two things that surprised me most were 1) there wasn’t as much trash as I expected to find and 2) cigarette butts were the main trash component I found. I thought people were slowing down on smoking around here – but maybe they’re just bringing their habit to the beach. Fun morning, regardless.

Comment by Marie M — 7:34 pm September 15, 2012 #

2. Two things: (1) awesome of them to do, and (2) people are pigs. Don’t leave trash on the beach!

Comment by Phillip — 8:12 pm September 15, 2012 #

3. Cigarette butts are the most common item I’ve found in any cleanup, beach or otherwise, I’ve ever participated in. Why do we tolerate this toxic waste on our beaches?

Comment by Julie — 10:34 pm September 15, 2012 #

4. Thank You Volunteers & Puget Sound Keeper Alliance!!! Beautiful work~

Comment by Kip — 4:25 am September 16, 2012 #

5. Thanks to all of the volunteers for doing this! You make the world a better place!!

Comment by Trina — 1:36 pm September 17, 2012 #

6. Thank you all for your clean up efforts! I appreciate it.

Comment by John Sanders — 1:45 pm September 17, 2012 #

7. I don’t understand why smokers think it is okay to litter, like that little cigarette butt doesn’t count! It amazes me. Pack out your trash people!!

Comment by Amanda — 2:21 pm September 17, 2012 #

8. People are pretty much pigs. But I’m sure some of the stuff like the hatchet and the knife probably washed up. Likely from falling off of boats.

Comment by JG — 2:33 pm September 17, 2012 #

9. Not only do cellulose acetate-based cigarette filters NOT degrade, but they leach all kinds of toxic chemicals into the Sound. Just horrible.

Comment by cjboffoli — 3:00 pm September 17, 2012 #

10. I never toss my butts on the beach, I’ve lived on Alki for a long time and consider it my yard!

Comment by jana S. — 3:59 pm September 17, 2012 #