West Seattle scene: You’re invited to use ‘Nonna’s Free Library’

September 19, 2012 at 9:21 am | In West Seattle news, WS culture/arts | 10 Comments

You could call that a pop-up library as well as a “free library,” which is how Linda described it, sharing the photo and explaining:

My dad and son, both West Seattle residents, made a free library in honor of what would have been my mom’s 71st birthday. She was a public-school teacher for many years.

Linda says you’ll find it in “the corner of my yard at 6119 SW Spokane Street” (map).

1. There’s one on 38th and hanford too! Such a great idea, i love it!

Comment by AM — 9:53 am September 19, 2012 #

2. I love it! Thank you to the family who made this – what a great way to honor someone!

Comment by XRoadsAmy — 9:58 am September 19, 2012 #

3. Please come and check it out! I’m Linda’s sister and just added some good stuff this weekend. Our mom would be so pleased!!

Comment by Laura — 10:12 am September 19, 2012 #

4. This is so wonderful. I saw this and immediately thought of my Nona who would have treasured this idea. thank you!

Comment by Elizagrace — 11:58 am September 19, 2012 #

5. That’s so cool.

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 1:51 pm September 19, 2012 #

6. There is one on Erskine not far down from California too.

Comment by Joe — 3:00 pm September 19, 2012 #

7. I love this! ! What a great idea! I’ve got some books that I’d be happy to donate too!

Comment by karlyross — 4:26 pm September 19, 2012 #

8. http://www.littlefreelibrary.org has great ideas, we’re planning to put one in soon near Lincoln Park, stay tuned.

Comment by sarah — 9:03 pm September 19, 2012 #

9. If anyone else has one going, please send a photo – would love to publicize more. I didn’t realize this was a trend/movement until I did my every-so-often Wednesday afternoon interview on KBCS radio today and host Sonya asked about this, while explaining that. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:09 pm September 19, 2012 #

10. I just saw my first one a few week’s ago while on a visit to Bend…such a cool idea!

Comment by Livin' in WS since '91 — 8:40 am September 20, 2012 #