West Seattle food: JC’s Deli bringing ‘classic hoagies’ to 35th SW

September 3, 2012 at 5:18 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 42 Comments

It will soon be a trio of food businesses in the building that until early last year housed just one (On Safari Foods): JC’s Deli is on the way to 9007 35th SW, next door to West Seattle Fish House and two doors down from Stuffed Cakes. We’ve been investigating since a Facebook tip over the weekend; at the future site, which previously held a remodeling company, we found some deli equipment (right) and a flooring worker who told us that “Jeanette, who’s been around here a long time” – was going to open a deli.

More research today tracked down the full story: Jeanette Cummings, who worked for years at Hoagies Corner a short distance south at 35th and Barton (now Super Deli Mart), is opening JC’s Deli with daughter Cynthia Cummings. WSB’s Katie Meyer talked this afternoon with Cynthia, who says it’ll be a real deli, with a dine-in area as well as to-go orders. They’ll offer fresh-made sandwiches including “classic hoagies,” with deli meats and cheeses. Non-alcoholic beverages to start with, Cynthia adds. They hope to open JC’s Deli in early October.

1. Mmmmmmm. Classic hoagies. Yay!

Comment by mookie — 5:23 pm September 3, 2012 #

2. That’s good to hear, I hope the hoagies are great!

Comment by Harry Reems — 5:23 pm September 3, 2012 #

3. My hubby will be first in line for the cheesy British!!! Hoping to see the scrambler back too-yum!

Comment by born, raised, & still in ws — 5:39 pm September 3, 2012 #

4. yay!

Comment by JanS — 5:47 pm September 3, 2012 #

5. Decent vegetarian options would be great too! Field Roast is a great meat alternative that a local deli should carry :)

Comment by sk — 5:47 pm September 3, 2012 #

6. Wow….I dream of a Cheesy British once in a while.

Comment by beth — 6:22 pm September 3, 2012 #

7. I’m so happy my up coming Deli is in the blog..I can’t wait to open..I’m trying to make a special place for people to come for lunch or dinner..

Comment by jeanette — 6:40 pm September 3, 2012 #

8. Save us from Boars Head if possible. NY run conglomerate whose deli meats are pervasive.

Comment by JayDee — 6:41 pm September 3, 2012 #

9. Oh ..to the person who wants the scramblers back..of course and torpedo pizza sandwich..just to mention a few oldies but goodies!!

Comment by jeanette — 6:55 pm September 3, 2012 #

10. I was wondering what was going in there. Saw some activity. Looking forward to them opening!

Comment by Bonnie — 6:58 pm September 3, 2012 #

11. Congrats Jeanette! Im so happy for you guys. You know I’ll be first in line for sandwiches for my grandma and i!!!!

Comment by Tiffani — 7:20 pm September 3, 2012 #

12. Guys, Super Deli Mart has been doing Hoagie’s Corner sandwiches–including the cheesy British!–since they opened. Not saying you shouldn’t try this new place, but just know that you can, and have been able to for quite some time, get your fix any time at SDM.

Comment by SarahScoot — 7:21 pm September 3, 2012 #

13. The Super Deli has never stopped making british sandwiches for over 20 years. Yes it has switched hands a few times but they always make those amazing sandwiches and you can drink many types of beer as well from all over the world.

Comment by Alki Resident — 8:37 pm September 3, 2012 #

14. I am excited and can’t wait. Welcome to the area. And SDM does not get my business, bad experience there.

Comment by coffee — 9:05 pm September 3, 2012 #

15. So excited to get to buy the cheesy british without having to listen to deli owners yell at their employees! Best of luck in your new venture, can’t wait for it to open!

Comment by Stephanie — 9:13 pm September 3, 2012 #

16. Ohhhh How I have missed Torpedo Pizzas!!!!!

Comment by Debra — 9:59 pm September 3, 2012 #

17. To allow resident and others who are saying about Super Deli making hoagies…not saying they don’t still make them …I just worked for Hoagys corner when was there,and have been using same meats,special mamu sauce that I make still and skills I was taught there..Just saying come on in and try…;0)

Comment by jeanette — 10:13 pm September 3, 2012 #

18. Do they or will they use decent bread.? Quality meats., veggies., cheeses., and dressings are important too. But good crusty bread makes or breaks a hoagy for me.

Comment by onion — 11:01 pm September 3, 2012 #

19. As a Philly native, I agree with Onion. It’s the bread that makes the hoagies. Omarosa (sp?) rolls?

Comment by Susan — 11:17 pm September 3, 2012 #

20. I will drive from Enumclaw for a Cheesy British!!!!

Comment by Whitney Humenik — 7:34 am September 4, 2012 #

21. Yes,you are right the bread is a big deal. I personally don’t wanna make a sandwich if the bread is not fresh and soft..Don’t worry will be fresh and soft ;0)

Comment by jeanette — 7:44 am September 4, 2012 #

22. Congrats Jeanette! We’re excited to have you join Henderson Corner. :-)

Comment by dameDonna — 8:15 am September 4, 2012 #

23. Sounds super! The cheesy british are coming without the yelling. Do you have a name yet?

Comment by dee — 8:31 am September 4, 2012 #

24. ok, I’ll bite, what is a cheesy British?

Comment by Vanessa — 8:55 am September 4, 2012 #

25. Congrats Jeanette, I look forward to seeing you in the new place!

Comment by Jim — 9:45 am September 4, 2012 #

26. Cheesy British…a staple in the ’80s for me and my friends. SDM is a great place with great beer selection and they do still make the Cheesy British, but…it’s not what I remember. Not bad, just not the same. If the new deli can bring that back…well, let’s just say there would be a market for it…

Comment by Todd — 11:20 am September 4, 2012 #

27. Someone PLEASE explain what’s in the Cheesy British … somehow despite having lived on this side of WS since the early ’90s, we never got sandwiches from HC (or SDM for that matter), so after all these glowing memories, I’m curious … TR

Comment by WSB — 11:26 am September 4, 2012 #

28. My Deli will be called Jc’s Deli.. for those who don’t know yet..The Cheesy British is normally on a hoagy roll with all the fixings and roast beef,ham and turkey with choice of cheese…its really yummy..

Comment by jeanette — 1:50 pm September 4, 2012 #

29. how about a classic eye-talian sub? as close as a sammich comes to perfection. the culmination of the sammich making arts. culture, history and cured meats between a hoagie roll. man, an italian sub is a beautuful thing when done with care and love. the italian sub has no hard and fast recipe but in general we’re talking salami, pepperoni, maybe some capicola, soppresetta, or proscuitto, provolone cheese, pepperoncini, shredded lettuce, black olives, onions, tomatoes, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil.

can you make that? i will come and pay you for one if you say yes.

–mr. the horse (loves an italian grinder)

Comment by mr. the horse — 3:15 pm September 4, 2012 #

30. Yess — second the vote for Italian sub — can make for bigger chocolate bunnies

Comment by Bill — 10:21 pm September 4, 2012 #

31. Also second the request for vegetarian options! More than one standard “veggie” would be very welcome. I live a few blocks from there and can’t wait to try it!

Comment by KL — 3:42 am September 5, 2012 #

32. Bill…lol

Comment by jeanette — 6:54 am September 5, 2012 #

33. I have had some request for gluten free bread..can I get some more request please…

Comment by jeanette — 6:58 am September 5, 2012 #

34. Mmmm, a cheesy british with extra mamu sauce! I cant wait to check it out, sometimes the other place just gets a little crazy packed with all the beer drinkers.

Comment by TS — 10:41 am September 5, 2012 #

35. Just a note,awhile ago while working at gasco I made a second mamu with horse radish added…Have had great reviews.So origanal mamu and spicy mamu..

Comment by jeanette — 12:01 pm September 5, 2012 #

36. Oh how I wish I still lived there. I grew up on the Cheesy British, AND still remember Jeanette making them for me and my BF out there, been some 10 years now I think. Jeanette, maybe you’ll have to look into shipping those out of state, haha!!!

Comment by Angela — 1:57 pm September 5, 2012 #

37. here’s an excellent italian sub primer/review/critique thingy. don’t those italian subs look good! you bet they do!

Comment by mr. the horse — 4:14 pm September 5, 2012 #

38. No ones makes a Cheesy British like Jeanette! I can’t wait to get one from her at her new place. Her current bosses at Lucky 7 said they’ll stop making sandwiches so as not to compete with her. Classy move.

Comment by pampire — 6:23 pm September 5, 2012 #

39. I have been getting my hoagies from Jeanette for years!!! Nobody does them like her!! She is such a cool and funny lady, can’t waite to come in and support her! Also I have heard through the grapevine that you will be offering a loyalty card?? 6th sandwich always on the house???? Yay!

Comment by Rachel Anderson — 9:27 am September 6, 2012 #

40. Yes ,buy 5 get 6th free ;0)

Comment by jeanette — 6:05 am September 8, 2012 #

41. Congrats, Jeanette!!! I’m so happy to hear you’re taking the next step and opening your own shop!!! I’m looking forward to the grand opening!!

Comment by Woo — 10:34 pm September 19, 2012 #

42. Oh hey,woo thank you hun I’m really excited will let u guys know for sure open day ;0)

Comment by jeanette — 8:06 am September 22, 2012 #