Long-in-progress 3295 Avalon Way now ‘The Residences at 3295′

September 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm | In Development, West Seattle news | 17 Comments

Leasing has begun for apartments in the building that has been in the works seemingly forever at 35th and Avalon – stalling more than once along the way, during ownership changes among other things. Our coverage goes back exactly five years; the site was intended to be part of the never-built monorail, and was at one point owned by troubled fugitive developer Michael Mastro. While a commercial “for lease” sign has been up for a while in its retail windows on the corner, today was the first time we noticed a sign inviting would-be renters to check out the apartments – referred to as “The Residences at 3295.” The website for the ~60-unit building is at rent3295.com, and shows floor plans ranging from studios to 2 bedroom/2 bath units. We’ve been talking with project representatives for a while in hopes of getting a look inside.

1. am thinking they need to work on the website, although the floor plans look OK. The rent is listed as $1 for all units. Something tells me that’s not right ..hehe

Comment by JanS — 5:46 pm September 23, 2012 #

2. I don’t see how there isn’t black mold on some of the wood in that thing after sitting exposed for so long.

Comment by Look4wrd — 6:53 pm September 23, 2012 #

3. I was wondering that as well. I know there was at least one fall/ winter where the plywood sheathing was just sitting out there in the rain, no bldg paper or anything..

Comment by sam-c — 7:00 pm September 23, 2012 #

4. If we get an interview, we’ll ask!

Comment by WSB — 7:04 pm September 23, 2012 #

5. “The Residences at 3295″?

Pretty pretentious for a building that nearly became derelict before it was even finished.

Comment by anonyme — 7:06 pm September 23, 2012 #

6. And what about the sidewalk? What’s happening with that?

Comment by chas redmond — 9:49 pm September 23, 2012 #

7. I don’t know why anyone would like to live above a busy 4-way arterial with emergency sirens coming and going all the time. Not to mention other traffic racket inherent in living a few stories above the sidewalk.

Comment by Bill Bacon — 10:24 pm September 23, 2012 #

8. Bill – Avalon Way is almost entirely apartments from that point east/northeast (with a building twice the size of this one going up a couple doors down). Siren noise is probably worse at Link, which is across the street from Station 32 and at least last time we checked (before the ownership change) had a low vacancy rate.
    Chas – good question about the sidewalk; just drove by while out on an errand, and it does seem to still be awaiting work. Would guess it’ll be one of the last things, since the lower floor of the building isn’t done yet either, but we’ll add that to our hoped-for Q/A list…

Comment by WSB — 11:17 pm September 23, 2012 #

9. Bill, everybody seems to have different noise tolerance. Having grown up in New York City, I barely hear the traffic, even though I live on Fauntleroy near the Triangle and traffic is heavy. In fact, if I go away to a place with no road traffic, I have difficulty sleeping.

Comment by Sue — 7:02 am September 24, 2012 #

10. We live at Link and the sirens hardly bother us. In fact, it’s the absence of sirens and street noise when we travel that keeps us up at night. Different strokes for different folks I guess :)

Comment by Marlena — 9:38 am September 24, 2012 #

11. Is Redline still a possibility to take that retail space?

Comment by DW — 10:02 am September 24, 2012 #

12. I’d be interested to know what their rent is. Some of those units have quite a bit of square footage. I LOVE it’s proximity to Camp Long. And I find it hard to imagine it being worse than Link for noise. Frankly, the sirens don’t bother me…it’s the construction noise that really gets on my nerves.

@Bill – Not everyone has the luxury of a home in a quiet street. You learn to live with some thing by having a dog and wanting to be within walking distance of grocery stores and bus lines.

Comment by Ash — 11:18 am September 24, 2012 #

13. yeah, that website was not ready for prime time…

At least they have my favorite stock photo instead of actual pictures of the apartments:

Comment by Marco — 11:18 am September 24, 2012 #

14. Heh, maybe they should have named it; At Last, or At Least it Ain’t a Hole! ;-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 11:27 am September 24, 2012 #

15. thanks for link Marco; funny, knew I’d seen that pic many times before

Comment by Diane — 11:36 am September 24, 2012 #

16. That is one ugly building!!! And on the corner of my block.

Comment by CDB — 11:53 am September 24, 2012 #

17. Over $1100 a month for studios? That’s outrageous. On top of that, there’s an additional $65 per month if you want a parking space. For a 60 unit building that has 122 parking spaces, that’s a real slap in the face to future residents.

Comment by Jeff — 3:54 pm September 27, 2012 #