If you wondered why those Seattle Police motorcycles went by…

September 28, 2012 at 11:57 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 11 Comments

A procession of Seattle Police motorcycle officers through the Admiral District drew some attention this morning, and brought in several inquiries.

(7/21/2012 photo by Christopher Boffoli for WSB)
We’ve confirmed it was one final sendoff for the former leader of the SPD Motorcycle Drill Team, Officer John Bernasconi, retiring after 43 years with SPD. We covered the ceremony honoring him (above) during this past summer’s West Seattle Grand Parade – he chose the WS Parade for his final ride (instead of Seafair Torchlight) because he’s a native West Seattleite. SPD explains that this was Officer Bernasconi’s last official workday; in appreciation for his service and camaraderie, his now-former co-workers escorted him home after he turned in his equipment, motorcycle included.

1. Huzzah!!

Best wishes to Officer Bernasconi and his family.

We should all be so fortunate to be honored by our fellow co-workers upon completing a long, exemplary career.

Comment by Scott — 12:22 pm September 28, 2012 #

2. Thanks Officer Bernasconi for your years of service.. what a great send off !

Comment by Anne — 12:39 pm September 28, 2012 #

3. That’s so awesome! I come from a family of law enforcement and seeing this made me smile.

Comment by A — 1:11 pm September 28, 2012 #

4. I echo the huzzahs and thanks of the above. I think it’s awesome that such dedicated officers get such a send-off. Thanks for your years of service.

Comment by RichWSeattle — 1:39 pm September 28, 2012 #

5. I was standing on the sidewalk on Admiral Way when SPD motorcade came up the hill. Several of us stopped to see who the celebrity was visiting our area. When the processing was passing the lady next to me ask me who I thought it might be,when I saw there was no limos, I told her that it must be John Bernasconi being escorted home on his retirement after many years with the SPD. It is a great send off for a very fine Officer by his family!!! Thanks John, and Best Wishes.

Comment by tp — 2:08 pm September 28, 2012 #

6. John, I owe you a cold one.

Comment by Dale — 2:41 pm September 28, 2012 #

7. That’s cool I wish I saw it! From one West Seattle SPD family to another – congratulations! Enjoy your retirement!

Comment by yayjohn — 10:12 pm September 28, 2012 #

8. Wonderful tribute. Congrats to John on your retirement and thank you for your service.

Comment by Kim — 11:09 pm September 28, 2012 #

9. Wishing you congratulations Officer Bernisconi from New York City! :)

Comment by Kathleen Alquist — 4:31 pm September 30, 2012 #

10. It was a grand day for John and his wonderful wife and daughter.
    I had tears running down my face but know in my heart it is what they all deserve.
    Have a long and happy retirement.

Comment by harriet benjamin — 10:37 am October 1, 2012 #

11. That’s such a cool sendoff, I was afraid that it was for something bad.

Comment by lauren — 9:11 am October 4, 2012 #