Update: Fire call near Westwood Village blamed on barbecue

August 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm | In West Seattle fires, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

8:48 PM: A “fire in building” call has sent a big response is en route to 22nd and Barton, just east of Westwood Village.

8:58 PM UPDATE: Nothing major – only one engine still left on the scene. A police officer says fire crews told him it was a kitchen problem; we’re waiting to confirm that directly with SFD.

9:01 PM UPDATE: SFD lieutenant says it was a case of ignition-fluid flareup with a barbecue on the third floor. No major damage from that, but they had to kick in a door to get into the unit. No one hurt. We’ve added our photo above showing smoke still hanging in the air (after something like this, one big job for firefighters is to help get the scene ventilated).

1. Sounds like someone’s BBQ on a deck – the guy put it out and all but one unit (Engine 11) have been sent home

Comment by Ari — 8:50 pm August 27, 2012 #

2. Just heard all the sirens. Hope everyone’s ok there!

Comment by Andi — 8:50 pm August 27, 2012 #

3. With safer, cleaner-burning gas grilles, I don’t understand why people still feel the need to use smoky charcoal grilles, especially in close quarters with so many neighbors’ windows nearby.

Comment by cjboffoli — 9:38 pm August 27, 2012 #

4. Every one is ok here. Scared the you know what out of me… But thank god the SFD got here quick.

Comment by Chris — 9:54 pm August 27, 2012 #

5. Glad SFD got it knocked down quickly. I always worry a little about apt. dwellers with balconies for this very reason. So many opportunities for accidents.

I still have a funky old charcoal grill I have had for almost 15 years. But not having newspapers around has rendered it nearly obsolete for me. Some folks still read print news, evidently, and have no incentive to upgrade from charcoal when firestarter is still available, perhaps?

Regardless, good it didn’t spread.

Comment by westseattledood — 10:36 pm August 27, 2012 #

6. I realize this is off topic, but regardless I am responding to answer “why people still feel the need to use smoky charcoal grills”.
    Cheap charcoal grills can achieve very high temperatures (700+) at the grilling surface. This is useful for searing foods.
    However, it requires a pretty expensive gas grill to get those temps at the grilling surface.

Comment by bbqmaven — 9:10 am August 28, 2012 #

7. also- off topic but in answer to the question posed, I don’t ever see any-one selling working gas grilles on craigslist for $10 (or free). if you want to buy me one, I’m all for the cleaner option. we do refrain from using the charcoal when we see on the news that the air quality is bad and smoggy.

Comment by sam-c — 2:10 pm August 28, 2012 #