West Seattle Crime Watch: Stolen car crashes, suspect arrested

July 24, 2012 at 3:25 am | In Crime, West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 7 Comments

Busy night on the scanner so far. Big calls have included a briefly major response to a reported possible shooting in Admiral, which turned out to be a complete false alarm (the caller apparently was actually just asking about a shooting investigation from last year). But the biggest so far has netted one arrest during an intensive search in the Riverview area: Police arrested a suspect after a hit-run crash near 12th and Orchard (map) involving a reported stolen car. According to scanner traffic and reader reports, it unfolded this way: First police noticed the car driving erratically along various streets in eastern West Seattle. That came to a stop when the car hit a parked truck. The driver and two passengers were reported to have fled the scene. Police, including a K-9 team, started searching. A man in his early 20s, believed to be the driver, was arrested; Southwest Precinct Lt. Alan Williams tells WSB he will be “booked for investigation of auto theft and outstanding warrants.” The passengers, at least one of whom was female, are still at large as of this writing.

1. I’m surprised to wake and find no comments about the gun shots this morning. My neighbors and I both awoke to 4 shots. It was 3:42 am by my clock. We’re off Admiral and 61st.

Comment by Laura — 7:20 am July 24, 2012 #

2. Laura, did you contact the police?

Comment by Bob H. — 9:35 am July 24, 2012 #

3. Laura – yours is the first message we’ve heard about any gunshots in that area – and usually we’ll get texts, e-mails, voice calls, etc. (we answer 24/7 – 206-293-6302 **any time** – so please do text or call if you hear something and wonder what’s going on, we’ll do our best to find out) Definitely, no one WAS shot. And the incident from earlier in the evening did not involve anyone hearing gunshots – just a call to 911 that apparently sounded like something it wasn’t. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:54 am July 24, 2012 #

4. Laura,

I heard them on Genesee Hill but thought they were fireworks since heard no police response……

Comment by jwws — 9:59 am July 24, 2012 #

5. Thanks for posting about the Riverview event. Kept me up for a few hours, with canine searches thru yards, sirens, loud speakers, multiple cruisers. Thank you WSB!

Comment by Lulu — 12:43 pm July 24, 2012 #

6. I googled the name of the person whom I saw on the booking list, and if I’m correct about it, they’ve done the exact same thing before. I saw a lot of appellate court docs where they were trying to get of paying restitution. I was happy to see there was no bail.

Comment by WMF — 4:16 pm July 24, 2012 #

7. I live on the 7200 block of 18th ave SW. A little after 5 pm yesterday a car came roaring down our one lane road at about 80 miles an hour followed by about 15 police cars going just as fast. The chase stopped by Sanislo grade school. My road is a pretty popular bike route at around that time, thank goodness no one was hurt.

Comment by Tracy — 8:27 am July 25, 2012 #