West Seattle Crime Watch followup: Stolen SUV found

July 27, 2012 at 11:37 am | In Crime, West Seattle news | 5 Comments

11:37 AM: Thanks to Jackie for the tip – the stolen Ford Explorer that police were looking for has been found. We published their request for help last night – they said the SUV was linked to a burglary/car prowl case and, while they had arrested a suspect, they needed to find the vehicle, and figured it would still be in north West Seattle somewhere. Indeed – it turned up on an off-the-beaten-track street near Schmitz Park, Jackie told us. Bruce, who spotted it and called it in last night, shared the photo of the vehicle getting towed away. We’re checking with police to see if there’s anything more to say about the case.

12:31 PM UPDATE: Sgt. Joe Bauer says regarding the suspect in this case, “the guy was pretty busy yesterday. He was caught due to the great descriptions and help from the community. Our hats are off to our West Seattle residents!”

1. If evidence is found in the car from a car prowl and a police report was filed on those items, do the police contact the victims? Seems obvious that they would, but I’m wondering as my sister had items stolen from her car yesterday.

Comment by NW Momma — 12:23 pm July 27, 2012 #

2. NWM – I believe eventually they would. I’m hoping your sister got the report number so she can follow up with investigators?

Comment by WSB — 12:31 pm July 27, 2012 #

3. @NW Momma, The detectives at SW Precinct are working on this as I type. My email is joseph.bauer@seattle.gov if you email me the incident number I will follow up and see if we can recover any of the stolen items.

Comment by Sgt. Joe — 12:42 pm July 27, 2012 #

4. We are so fortunate to live in a community where the citizens, police with WS Blog’s hard work join together to make our neighborhoods safer and better.

I appreciate living in West Seattle with such wonderful neighbors!

Comment by Kate K — 12:59 pm July 27, 2012 #

5. Glad to see that something is being done about these thefts. I had a car stolen a few years ago and when I got it out of the pound at my expense, there were several pieces of stolen items in there. The police told me there was nothing they could do and I could do whatever I wanted with the stuff. We were able to find the owner of a backpack and delivered it to her at the ferry dock. She was visiting in WS when her car got broken into… Get one bad guy at a time!

Comment by Km — 4:10 pm July 27, 2012 #