West Seattle Brewing Company taking over ex-Tervo’s/Corner Store

July 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm | In West Seattle news, WS beverages | 33 Comments

4415 Fauntleroy Way SW has been a corner store for a long time – first as Tervo’s Market (till about a year ago), then briefly as the Corner Store and Deli – but now the space is being overhauled for a new incarnation as a brewery. It’s the future home of West Seattle Brewing Company. We first got a mini-flurry of tips some weeks ago that the space was being converted into something related to beer, but every time we went by to try to investigate, the doors were closed – till today, when we found Kevin Fawcett. He’s a longtime home brewer (and writer for Northwest Brewing News) who’s awaiting licensing to start making his beer in the Triangle space. Fawcett tells us the space appealed to him because of its large cold case – perfect for storage. He’ll start off by making beer to supply to resellers, but eventually might have a brew pub. We’ll keep you updated on West Seattle Brewing Company’s progress!

EDITOR’S NOTE, ADDED TUESDAY MORNING: Updated Tuesday morning to add the missing “West” before Seattle in the name. Fawcett told us in a followup phone conversation that he’s well aware of that name’s history, and there will eventually be some kind of display in his brewery looking back at the name’s origins.

1. I miss the days of stopping by Tervo’s for a nice cold one, but I welcome the addition of Seattle Brewing Company to West Seattle.

Comment by Harold Reems — 4:51 pm July 30, 2012 #

2. Awesome! Great to have another local brewery. Looking forward to trying (and selling) your beers

Comment by The Beer Junction — 5:01 pm July 30, 2012 #

3. Sweeeeet!

Comment by Traci — 5:04 pm July 30, 2012 #

4. Fabulous news! A brew pub would be great, but even selling growlers to go would be a lovely addition to the Triangle.

Comment by LAintheJunction — 5:19 pm July 30, 2012 #

5. Winner!

Comment by dawsonct — 5:22 pm July 30, 2012 #

6. west seattle == beer city

Comment by Roche — 5:24 pm July 30, 2012 #

7. Local beer is good beer!

Comment by Todd — 5:38 pm July 30, 2012 #

8. Great – - love the idea of a brewery there, and hope they do have a brewery pub some day!

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 6:06 pm July 30, 2012 #

9. Oh this will be a nice addition to W.Seattle. A future regular customer here. Good thing about breweries is they allow outside food to brought in in many cases. . Think…Budha Ruksa and IPA…(or whatever they’re offering)

Comment by themightyrabbit — 6:39 pm July 30, 2012 #

10. I meant “brew pub”.

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 6:43 pm July 30, 2012 #

11. Hm, that’s not a very big space. Hope the ceilings are high enough. Can’t make money with a production brewery without big fermenters. Will there be a tap room? Good way to make some bucks without going all the way to a brew pub w/ restaurant.

Comment by WS Steve — 6:52 pm July 30, 2012 #

12. I drove by this location with my wife yesterday & said “that would make a great location for a homebrew store”. I realize homebrew supply inst what Seattle Brewing is all about, but in the interim until brewing/licensing is underway – I would suggest a homebrew supply section/corner of your store. I think you’d find a good business supporting local homebrewers! All other options are so inconvenient! Welcome!

Comment by Johnny Davies — 7:16 pm July 30, 2012 #

13. Perfect.

Comment by NW Momma — 7:17 pm July 30, 2012 #

14. Great use of that space. Good luck.

Comment by Mack — 7:29 pm July 30, 2012 #

15. Right-o! Here’s hoping you deliver a proud brew.

Comment by shed22 — 10:34 pm July 30, 2012 #

16. BBQ and a cold one. Oh yeah.

Comment by Lola P — 12:09 am July 31, 2012 #

17. @johnny davies – there is sound homebrew supply down in g-town currently. michigan and 5th pl s. pretty good location. good option for w seattle if you eed something quick.

Comment by beef — 1:11 am July 31, 2012 #

18. This is awesome news. Think Global Drink Local!

Comment by Jordan — 7:41 am July 31, 2012 #

19. Hmm? I might be wrong, but my friends Adam and Drew are using the name Seattle Brewing Company at their brewery in SODO.

Comment by Nate — 8:27 am July 31, 2012 #

20. Oh, man. I was so excited when I heard this place was gonna be a brewpub (I live very close by). Awesome it’s going to be a brewery, but really hope they decide to have a tasting room as I would be a frequent customer. Maybe it’s a good thing. I was a little worried I’d be spending a bit too much time there!

Comment by villagegreen — 8:55 am July 31, 2012 #

21. YES. Please hurry, I’m already thirsty now.

Comment by Alex — 9:06 am July 31, 2012 #

22. a quick search of http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/corps_search.aspx shows an active WA corporation called Seattle Brewing Company (UBI Number 603112452) with a registered agent address near 4th Ave S and the Spokane Street viaduct, and “governing persons” named Andrew (Drew?) and Adam.
    interestingly there’s also a “West Seattle Brewing Company” (UBI 603176093) with a registered agent named Stephen in the Morgan Junction area.

Comment by Ben — 9:54 am July 31, 2012 #

23. Upon further consultation with co-publisher Patrick, who spoke with Kevin yesterday, I was missing the “West.” Adding. Thanks. And just called Kevin to reconfirm that. He says he’s well aware of the name’s history – and his facility will eventually have some sort of tribute or display acknowledging it. – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:04 am July 31, 2012 #

24. Congrats! A welcome addition to the neighborhood!

Comment by Allison — 12:20 pm July 31, 2012 #

25. Congrats, Kevin! I can’t wait to visit!

BTW, the homebrew store in Georgetown mentioned above is Sound Homebrew Supply. It’s a great shop and by far the closest to West Seattle.

Comment by Jehu — 3:59 pm July 31, 2012 #

26. this was the closest beer store to seattle lutheran high in 1986 without passsing Mr Christans office we could buy all we could fit in the 64 bug and off to Lincoln Park we went later Hong and Wongs Dad owned the place

Comment by born westside 1968 — 5:54 pm July 31, 2012 #

27. Actually, the ceilings are fifteen feet high…. We’re looking forward to seeing and speaking with all of you soon as we are open for business, hopefully within the next few months. For now, we will be a production brewery but over-the counter sales (or “over the bar” sales, as the case may be) are certainly in the near future.

-Kev

Comment by Kev — 7:32 pm July 31, 2012 #

28. Way to go Kev!!!! So excited for you!!!!
    Can’t wait to have some of that beer!

Comment by Sandy — 9:11 am August 1, 2012 #

29. Damn! Now I’m thirsty. It is soooo blasted hot here and a real cold one sounds so good. Good luck and I’m sure you will do very well!

Comment by Shannon — 4:08 pm August 1, 2012 #

30. Hi Guys,
    I’m glad to hear all the positive feedback! To clear everything up, I am the owner “Stephen” Drew Locke, which is why you see a UBI number registered to Stephen near the Morgan Junction (my house). However, that was from a previous attempt to open up shop in collaboration with Bruce at West Seattle Produce’s new location which didn’t pan out. The new location has a new UBI. Its coincidence that there is a Drew working on the “Seattle Brewing Co.” project at Spokane St., which I know nothing about. And further coincidence that one of my best friends is called Adam! Kevin Fawcett is a multi-talented veteran of the brewing industry who I have been blessed to find and collaborate with as my head-brewer. We have been reluctant to share our progress and plans publicly, as, we are still uncertain when and in what capacity we will be “open”. But I can promise at the very least, we are coming! And we are worth the wait! I can’t wait to see your satisfied smiles when consuming one of our 18 initial offerings! Until then… R.D.W.H.A.H ;) S.Drew Locke

Comment by S. Drew Locke — 5:43 pm August 2, 2012 #

31. Brewing EIGHTEEN different styles to start?! Ambitious!
    Drink Fresh Beer! Daily!

Comment by dawsonct — 11:09 am August 4, 2012 #

32. Well… 18 when the tasting room/pub side of the business opens. We’ve been brewing for a year and a half, piloting recipes, bouncing ideas off each other and compiling that initial list. (& sorry its really 17. The 18th is reserved for the “homebrew of the month”) 35 years if you count Kev’s head start on me! Half or more of those recipes are reborn from Kevin’s brew log, some of which already have a following of “cloners” and may have won an award or two… Just haven’t had their debut in the commercial world. Can’t wait for you to try them!

Comment by S. Drew Locke — 7:59 pm August 4, 2012 #

33. It is good to hear the news about Kevin doing some production volume brewing. In reading about and witnessing his all-grain brewing (without pre-fabricated extract), hight-yeast pitching rates, his extensive knowledge of hops, etc, I have come to appreciate a greater variety of beer styles, including the best pilsner I have ever experienced as brewed by Kevin.

I can’t wait to enjoy his porter as soon as it enters into one of the local pubs. Way to go Kevin and Drew!!

Comment by Brian — 8:41 pm August 4, 2012 #