West Seattle scenes: Ride like the wind (turbines)

June 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

Don Brubeck, who commutes by bicycle, shares some of the sights he sees from the road/trail/bridge – and here’s the latest: What he describes as wind-turbine blades, on a train alongside the West Seattle Bridge. He posted a few more photos to the WSB Flickr group pool. Not uncommon, according to a quick round of Web searching, but a riveting sight just the same.

1. There’s a been a mess of them over on the east side of Boeing Field for the last week or two… I wonder if these are the same or if they’re adding more.

Comment by Tracy White — 10:15 pm June 14, 2012 #

2. Boeing’s decided the future lies in turboprops. These are for the next engine option on the 747…

Comment by Pibal — 10:40 pm June 14, 2012 #

3. On a trip to N.E. Kansas last week I saw many of these on flatbeds with wide load warning trucks fore and aft on Hwy. 75 (north-south). I was wondering if they’re for a local installation or just manufactured in the area as there were so many of them.

Comment by Rick — 7:23 am June 15, 2012 #

4. They are propeller blades for my new beanie.

Comment by DTK — 7:46 am June 15, 2012 #

5. I think this picture makes a really interesting statement on the use of new, innovative technology that’s delivered on railroad lines that were one of the foundations of our country’s economy. It’s really pretty mindblowing if you think about it.

We’re moving forward into the future. Thanks for the pics!

Comment by K M — 8:27 am June 15, 2012 #

6. So that is what they are! Riding home from work I thought they were some kind of missile part, or something.

Comment by JN — 3:28 pm June 15, 2012 #

7. we saw some of these on I90 this morning. They were heading east.

Comment by Knorbeck — 2:53 pm June 17, 2012 #