West Seattle Crime Watch: Possible gunshot investigated

June 1, 2012 at 3:45 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 22 Comments

3:45 AM: Continuing the overnight watch – police are checking out a report of a possible gunshot heard somewhere in the High Point/Gatewood area. So far, no report of anyone actually being shot, but after the dispatcher put out the word of calls that had come in, one officer said he had heard it while “near the cemetery” (east of High Point) and thought it sounded like a shot and glass breaking. We’ll update if anything conclusive is found.

4:06 AM: Nothing so far – and with apparently no one reporting damage or injury thus far, police have hit something of a dead end.

1. What the heck is going on in this city!?

Comment by unbelieveable — 4:42 am June 1, 2012 #

2. It sounded like a firework to me, complete with a finishing sizzle. Could certainly be wrong, though.

Comment by Yardvark — 5:16 am June 1, 2012 #

3. People we heard from via e-mail and Facebook did describe a loud bang/boom. Still as of this writing – I’ve been monitoring continuously – nothing reported to have been found.

Comment by WSB — 5:40 am June 1, 2012 #

4. Heard it over near Morgan and thought it was a gunshot as well

Comment by tammiws — 7:14 am June 1, 2012 #

5. i heard it. It did not sound like a gun shot. More firework sound.

Comment by denise — 7:52 am June 1, 2012 #

6. For some reason I woke up exactly at 3:33am and heard it about a minute later. Sounded like a firework.

Comment by Dave — 8:02 am June 1, 2012 #

7. It was a lot louder than a shot or a firework – more like a very loud BOOM

Comment by thd — 8:36 am June 1, 2012 #

8. I heard it on 36th and Othello and thought it sounded like a big boom! It woke me up.

Comment by Sam — 9:00 am June 1, 2012 #

9. We heard something about that time over on 18th.

Comment by ST — 9:11 am June 1, 2012 #

10. It was loud, I heard it in Morgan Junction. I can’t imagine a gun could be that loud.

Comment by c — 9:26 am June 1, 2012 #

11. I heard it. Maybe 3:30. It was VERY loud.

Comment by sarelly — 1:21 pm June 1, 2012 #

12. I’m at 34th and Morgan, roughly. I heard it last night over the sound of a movie I was watching (though my windows were open) and it made me get up off the couch and walk around my house just in case. Sounded like somebody detonated something inside a building or under a cover, it was a deep thump almost felt more than heard. I thought I heard glass tinkling afterwards (maybe that was the firework sizzle at end?) I don’t think it really sounded like a gunshot, maybe a 12-gauge shell if anything.

Comment by Cascadianone — 3:04 pm June 1, 2012 #

13. Anyone know anything about a homicide in the 2800 block of SW Dakota Street? SPD 911 Incident Response website notes one took place and haven’t been able to find out any details.

Comment by Down In Delridge — 4:46 pm June 1, 2012 #

14. DID, I have just checked both maps in a variety of configurations and am not seeing any homicide icons/labels anywhere. In addition, unless it was a ruling in a case after the fact, I can’t imagine any way a homicide investigation wouldn’t have come to our attention (among others’) by now, thanks to the amazing community tipster network among other things (plus continuous scanner listening, 911 monitoring, alerts set for SPD tweets, and a zillion other things … ) Did you see a time stamp for the incident? P.S. I expect to see police leadership at the safety walk on Beach Drive in an hour and a half and will ask them just to be sure … plus, I’m not too far from that area so I’ll run by on my way back to HQ … TR

Comment by WSB — 5:02 pm June 1, 2012 #

15. Just saw three ambulances going south post Fairmount Park.

Comment by Paul — 6:44 pm June 1, 2012 #

16. I heard it, in the same area, and I keep hearing one guy just screaming at the top of his lungs, and he was out last night around the same time. Anyone else hear this guy? Sounds like it is coming from 34th and Raymond.

Comment by Masha — 7:17 am June 2, 2012 #

17. WSB-TR, There was a time stamp and a CAD Event Number but I did not record them. My fail. If memory serves, the incident was dated May 30 or 31.
    Been monitoring the SPD 911 Incident Response daily to get a sense of hyper local calls to 911. Shocking number of 911 Mental Complaints occurring in the Avalon corridor, from near Yancy south to Genesee. I don’t want to think that many of these calls are related to the Transitional Resources housing project….but they likely are. There was a Threats-Kill report filed on May 31 around noon for the 29XX block of Avalon. CAD Event Number 12000168222.

Comment by Down In Delridge — 7:41 am June 2, 2012 #

18. DID – we did ask Lt. Davis from the precinct at the safety walk re: your sighting. Nothing that he has heard of.

Comment by WSB — 8:31 am June 2, 2012 #

19. WSB-TR, Thanks for asking SPD. Will ask around and see if any of the neighbors heard or know anything about the incident.

Comment by Down In Delridge — 9:59 am June 2, 2012 #

20. Just heard another loud bang like a gunshot in Seaview around 48th and Findlay about 10:30pm 6/5

Comment by Rick — 10:58 pm June 5, 2012 #

21. We’ve got a separate story working about that. Possible fireworks.

Comment by WSB — 10:59 pm June 5, 2012 #

22. We heard a loud noise last night around 10:30 pm on Tuesday the 5th. We don’t think it sounded like a gun or shotgun. Just a loud BOOM. 50th and Genesee area.

Comment by Vern — 10:09 pm June 6, 2012 #