West Seattle wildlife: Shimmering sights, seen at low tide

May 8, 2012 at 8:06 pm | In West Seattle beaches, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

More wildlife sights on West Seattle beaches today, as the lowest tide once again was minus three feet, and then some. Thanks to WSB’ers who shared photos – above, Machel Spence‘s photograph of what she explained was “a rare and sweet find at low tide … an opalescent a frosted nudibranch, I don’t see these very often except for the very low tides.” The next photo is courtesy of Jen, who said she and her daughter spotted it (among other creatures) while out this afternoonn. She added, “It was so much fun and beautiful out there.”

(Do you know what that is? We don’t!) Tomorrow’s low tide won’t be as low as the past two days, but still excellent for tide-walking depending on the weather – forecast right now as “partly sunny” – it’ll be minus 2.8 feet at 2 pm.

1. It’s a little sea anenome I believe…he won’t open up again until the tide comes back in.

Comment by Steve — 8:22 pm May 8, 2012 #

2. Looks like an anemone in the second one…?

Beautiful nudibranch photo. Thank you for sharing!

Comment by Kam — 8:25 pm May 8, 2012 #

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anemone?

Whatever it is . . . really cool!

Comment by shed22 — 8:28 pm May 8, 2012 #

4. I believe that’s an anemone all closed up as it’s exposed out of the water…

Comment by Tim — 8:30 pm May 8, 2012 #

5. That last one is an anemone with it’s tentacles tucked in.

Comment by debbie — 8:37 pm May 8, 2012 #

6. Looks like an aggregating anemone to me! They always have them at the Pacific Science Center.

Comment by Uhnehmuhnee — 8:39 pm May 8, 2012 #

7. It’s actually a frosted nudibranch (Dirona albolineata), I sent you the wrong description LOL! That’s what happens when I write too fast and get excited about a sea critter…I screw up!

Comment by Machel Spence — 8:43 pm May 8, 2012 #

8. Oh and the second photograph is an aggregating anemone, an interesting point about them is that they can multiply asexually by dividing into two identical individuals!

Comment by Machel Spence — 8:46 pm May 8, 2012 #

9. Thanks, Machel and everyone, re: the anemone. (And I will amend the copy to “frosted nudibranch.”)

Comment by WSB — 9:07 pm May 8, 2012 #

10. Anthraplura elegatisama. Prettiest Latin name for this lovely anemone

Comment by Visitor — 9:42 pm May 8, 2012 #

11. Beautiful, thank you for sharing these!

Comment by Kim — 9:49 pm May 8, 2012 #

12. So that’s an anemone? My daughters call them Sea Snots.

Comment by dbsea — 9:41 am May 9, 2012 #