West Seattle Crime Watch: Stolen car; multiple car prowls

May 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 22 Comments

Two West Seattle Crime Watch reader reports this evening:

Sometime last night after 5 pm and before 6 am today, my mom’s car was stolen. It’s a 1989 Toyota Camry black 4 door Front passenger hub cap missing. Parked (legally) on the street in the 6300 block of 42nd Ave SW. Impound has been checked and police report made. She just wants it back. Unemployed and just enough insurance to not get a ticket!

From Walt:

I would like to pass on some car prowls that happened on our block. 2 vehicles were broken into in the block of 42nd & 102nd, Arbor Heights neighborhood. Apparently early morning 5-9-12.

P.S. The West Seattle Crime Prevention Council meets next Tuesday (May 15th) at the Southwest Precinct (Delridge/Webster), 7 pm, with a victims’-rights advocate as special guest.

1. We believe someone was in our car in the same AH neighborhood that night, but it was accidentally left unlocked, and nothing obvious was taken or damaged.

Comment by ArborH — 6:41 pm May 10, 2012 #

2. obvious casing suspect just went through 38th, Myrtle, and 39th. White Male, faded blue jeans frayed at bottom, gray sneakers with yellow stripes, black shirt, gray unzipped sweatshirt. Orange candy bar in right pocket. Receding hair line. Knocked on several neighbor’s doors with no solicitor notices. Be aware. I say casing because he stood in front of each house and scribbled notes after knocking. He turned and headed west after he saw me taking his pic.

Comment by David — 7:44 pm May 10, 2012 #

3. Post his picture PLEASE!

Comment by KD — 8:37 pm May 10, 2012 #

4. David, did you report this to police?

Comment by cruzer — 8:44 pm May 10, 2012 #

5. Re: photos – we do not publish pictures of people who are not charged with crimes. If someone has a photo on their own website or photo-sharing service, you are welcome to post the link here – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:17 pm May 10, 2012 #

6. Link to the possible casing pics

Comment by David — 7:18 am May 11, 2012 #

7. Motorcycle stolen from 7700 block 18th SW this morning, red bicycle left in it’s place. Already contacted the editor here, but trying to get the word out – 1998 superhawk, red, ‘I taught the stig’ sticker on the windshield.
    If seen, call police or me — 206-949-5001 – or Phil, bike’s owner – 206-303-0983

Comment by westcoastdeb — 7:54 am May 11, 2012 #

8. Did Davids link work for anyone? I’m getting an error dang it.

Comment by resident3 — 8:08 am May 11, 2012 #

9. David, I would like to see the pics you took. Your link didn’t work.

I am the SPD sergeant during the day in West Seattle and if you can forward them to me I can search our CAD system and see if there were any incidents in that area during that timeframe.

joseph.bauer@seattle.gov

Comment by Sgt Joe — 8:20 am May 11, 2012 #

10. Try this link… having technical difficulties..

Comment by David — 9:27 am May 11, 2012 #

11. sorry-link still does not work.

Comment by ad — 9:55 am May 11, 2012 #

12. My apologies… if WSB editor would email some simple instructions….. it works for me… I’ll keep working on it.

Comment by David — 10:22 am May 11, 2012 #

13. I’ve never used Picasa – if anyone else out there who has can point David to how to find the publicly sharable link? Or maybe it’s a configuration “make publicly viewable” somewhere?

Comment by WSB — 10:35 am May 11, 2012 #

14. Editor,

Could you try this link before you post this?? I’ve checked all the settings for the 5th time… the album is supposedly viewable to all with the link… argh!!!! There’s got to be an easier way.

Comment by David — 10:44 am May 11, 2012 #

15. Another attempt… this should work.

Comment by David — 11:29 am May 11, 2012 #

16. http://support.google.com/picasa/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=39551

Comment by WSB — 11:35 am May 11, 2012 #

17. David, try clicking on the actual photo and along the right edge is “link to this photo.” click that and copy and paste the link?

Comment by Kathrine — 12:20 pm May 11, 2012 #

18. The photo is now a moot point anyway. Sgt. Joe, who posted a comment earlier, has circulated this to his team members and it’s a bonafide solicitor, he says, for “United States Mission.” I never got around to saying this but someone similar-looking came to our door (Fauntleroy/Gatewood line) a few days ago, holding one of those clipboard/box things, and when I didn’t answer the door, moved on elsewhere. – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:28 pm May 11, 2012 #

19. Yeaaaahhhhh!!!!! They found my moms car downtown unharmed! Whoo!

Comment by bsmomma — 1:38 pm May 11, 2012 #

20. Congrats! Hopin beyond hope that we have a similar story soon.

Comment by debbie — 1:49 pm May 11, 2012 #

21. Glad the car was found (same as my husband’s car). I did go to the door for the solicitor from United States Mission (http://usmission.org/?page_id=45) in Fauntlee Hills – got a tax-id slip for making a small donation.

Comment by Curiouser — 2:17 pm May 11, 2012 #