West Seattle Crime Watch: North Admiral car break-ins

May 22, 2012 at 1:11 am | In Crime, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

Just got a phone call from someone in North Admiral – 51st/Waite vicinity – who said that hers is one of two cars that had just been broken into and gone through, and she wanted to get the word out. She said it appeared they were using a spark plug or something similar to break the windows (a tactic that’s been going around for a few years) though last time car prowlers had hit the neighborhood, they only went through the unlocked cars. (Yes, the car-prowl victim said, it’s been reported to police.)

1. Let’s see if they dare try the North Delridge area…I bet they won’t.

After all the break-in’s here in my neighborhood, you would have to be brain dead to try anything with all the new home security and armed homeowners here now.

My neighborhood has become VERY vigilant lately which is a good thing.

Comment by Patrick — 1:33 am May 22, 2012 #

2. My vehicle was the other car broken into. Broke the driver’s window although my alarm went off and whomever left the area in a vehicle according to my neighbors. Nothing stolen from our car.

Comment by N. Admiral Car #2 — 2:31 am May 22, 2012 #

3. My car was broken into about 3 weeks ago. Near the new Safeway on 42nd SW. Seems like it’s getting to be a problem around here. Nothing was stolen but my right passenger window was completely shattered.

Comment by SV Admiral — 6:15 am May 22, 2012 #

4. I’m way south, but some ruckus at 1am got my dogs all riled up.

Comment by Westie — 7:22 am May 22, 2012 #

5. The spark plug trick is ages old. I knew about it when I was a teenager in the mid 80′s, and I doubt it was new at that time, either.

There are also emergency kits now sold with a seat belt cutter and a glass breaker, all in a cassette-tape-sized packet.

While these are useful to idiots prowling cars, they’re also good for the public to know. Keep a spare spark plug in your console or glove box. If you’re ever trapped in your car, you can use it to break the window and get out.

Comment by A — 7:44 am May 22, 2012 #

6. West Seattle continues to be a target rich environment due to development/density. Keep your guard up.

Comment by rats — 8:35 am May 22, 2012 #

7. Gee, I wonder if the folks living under the Admiral bridge have anything to with this?

Comment by Neighbor — 9:50 am May 22, 2012 #

8. This happened to us a few months back on 49th/Waite. So frustrating! They smashed the back window but didn’t take anything.

Comment by traci — 1:22 pm May 22, 2012 #

9. Our car was broken into last night as well… we are on the 2700 block of 44th ave in North Admiral. Nothing was stolen other than some change. They left the ipod for some reason. Guess it was too old for their liking.

Hard to deal with as we just lost our White Persian Cat Pierre last week! (see lost pet classifieds on wsb)

Comment by Josh Nicol — 2:22 pm May 22, 2012 #

10. My(locked)car was also broken into last night about a block south of PCC. Nothing there to steal, and no broken window (relief!), but something was used to jimmy the lock and it messed up the door.

(reported to police)

Comment by budgie — 2:30 pm May 22, 2012 #

11. Mine too–down on Admiral and 64th. Car was unlocked, and they were probably disappointed with the paltry booty of kids cds and cassettes, though they dug through it all.

Comment by angelescrest — 5:33 pm May 22, 2012 #

12. I was looking at the crime statistics for different
    zip codes of W Seattle, North admiral area was by far the highest for Motor Vehicle. According to REDFIN anyway.

Comment by coolio — 4:42 pm May 23, 2012 #

13. A young girl knocked on the door of my house at 51st and College (2 blocks from Waite) at about 5pm on Th, May 24. I didn’t open the door but asked what she wanted. She said she needed to use a phone. I refused to open the door as this was the MO connected with robberies in the Junction area last year. A neighbor up the street let her use the phone. Am wondering if she knocked on any one else’s door in the neighborhood. If so, it may have something to do with the car prowls or future breaking and entering.

Comment by jah — 3:54 pm May 25, 2012 #