The good news is, the city expects to reopen the 4th Avenue S. offramp from the eastbound Spokane Street Viaduct next Wednesday, May 30th. The not-so-good news is, as previously warned, that means the 1st Avenue S. ramp will close temporarily, as rehab work continues on the old deck of the widened SSV. Here’s the latest about that and other project-related changes/closures for next week (plus another warning about the June 9-11 westbound closure) from project spokesperson Paul Elliott:
The Spokane Street Viaduct eastbound off-ramp at Fourth Avenue has been closed since mid-April in order for the contractor to repair and resurface the bridge deck on the old viaduct structure. Assuming the weather cooperates over the next few days, SDOT expects to reopen the Fourth Avenue off-ramp Wednesday, May 30, in time for the morning commute. At the same time, the ongoing resurfacing work will require the closure of the eastbound off-ramp at First Avenue. That off-ramp is expected to remain closed for 3-4 weeks.
The repair and resurfacing work is likely to last until late August or early September. During much of this time period one or the other of these two eastbound off-ramps will be closed, however, one will always remain open. At some points, both may remain open.
Other Upcoming Project Closures:
Thursday, May 24
· Eastbound traffic on the Spokane Street Viaduct will be reduced to one lane overnight from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. on Friday morning.
Thursday, May 24 – Friday, May 25
· The intersection of Sixth Avenue s & S Spokane Street will be restricted to one lane in each direction, both for north/south and east/west. The east/west and northbound lane restrictions will run from 9 p.m. both nights until 5 a.m. the following morning. The southbound lane restriction both nights will not begin until 11 p.m. to accommodate departing Mariner traffic both evenings, and will last until 5 a.m. the following morning.
· Northbound traffic on East Marginal Way S at S Spokane Street will be detoured to the east frontage roadway under SR 99 nightly from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following mornings. Northbound traffic wishing to turn west at S Spokane Street will execute a U-turn at S Horton Street.
Tuesday, May 29
· Eastbound traffic on the Spokane Street Viaduct will be reduced to one lane overnight from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. Wednesday morning in order to make the traffic shift outlined above. That shift will result in the reopening of the eastbound off-ramp to Fourth Avenue S, at the same time the eastbound off-ramp to First Avenue S is closed.
Tuesday, May 29 – Thursday, May 31
· The intersection of Sixth Avenue S & S Spokane Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction, both for north/south and east/west traffic from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
Thursday, May 31
· North/south traffic at the intersection of Fourth Avenue S & S Spokane Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. Friday morning.
Friday, June 1
· North/south traffic at the intersection of First Avenue S & S Spokane Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. Saturday morning.
Sorry, comment time is over.
All contents copyright 2013, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^