Remembering 2 West Seattle business owners: Bob Ochsner, Gary Putman

May 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm | In Obituaries, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 11 Comments

Thanks to the WSB’ers who sent word of these two passings, both announced in the obituaries section of our partners at the Seattle Times:

BOB OCHSNER, 1920-2012: The funeral Mass for Mr. Ochsner is planned for this Friday morning, according to the Times obituary, which you can read in its entirety here. He grew up in West Seattle, graduating from WSHS, and owned Bob Ochsner Cars for 55 years at locations including WS, and was active in organizations including the Rotary Club of West Seattle. His surviving family members include his wife of 59 years. The Friday morning Mass is at 11 am at Our Lady of Fatima, 3218 W. Barrett. You can sign the online memorial guestbook here.

GARY PUTMAN, 1954-2012: It’s been about a year since Mr. Putman’s fight against cancer led to the closure of his West Side Import Repair in The Triangle. Now, this week, comes word that he passed away. According to his Times obituary, Mr. Putman moved to Seattle in 1978 and worked at West Side for 33 years, starting as a mechanic before taking over the business. No memorial service is mentioned; instead, “a gift to your favorite charity or to cancer research” is suggested.

1. I know I said it before, but I’m going to repeat myself–I can’t imagine owning a car without Gary and Carl to work on it. Condolences to Gary’s friends and colleagues, he will be missed.

Comment by The Velvet Bulldog — 5:00 pm May 9, 2012 #

2. I bought an older pickup truck from Bob during a snow storm many years ago, and remember the moment I decided to buy it like it was yesterday. After I kicked the tires and generally sized it up for a while, Bob finally ambled over to me and very gently delivered what I consider to be the best auto sales line I’ve ever heard: “It was the old man’s pride and joy.” I bought it on the spot and it was a great truck. And I think of him and that great line every time I drive by his old lot in the triangle, and how decently he treated me that cold winter day so many years ago. Rest in peace, Bob.

Comment by brin — 5:37 pm May 9, 2012 #

3. I am so sad to find out about Gary’s passing. I was referred to him by a friend several years ago when I needed a mechanic. He was always great. Him and Carl. Always new I could trust the work he and his shop provided. He reminded me a lot of my dad, jokes and all… You will be missed Gary.

Comment by ~~HockeyWitch~~ — 6:14 pm May 9, 2012 #

4. So sorry to hear of Gary’s illness and passing. My condolences to his life partner. Gary was my mechanic for a number of years and I talked frequently with his partner on the bus – always enjoyed my conversations with her and doing business with Gary.

Comment by Janet — 6:46 pm May 9, 2012 #

5. I’m so sad to hear about Gary. He was one of those people who made life better.

Comment by KatherineL — 7:25 pm May 9, 2012 #

6. Gary was our mechanic, our neighbor and our friend. I’ll always remember Gary as the only mechanic who was actually happy about working on our vintage car. I’ll miss that sweet smell of cigarettes in it after I picked it up from the shop. My kids will never forget the Halloween when Gary jumped out of the bushes in full military gear and scared them out of their costumes!!! Priceless.

Comment by Pijus — 7:46 pm May 9, 2012 #

7. Gary worked on various cars of mine over the years and I could count on him to always do a good job. And when I’d run into him at local stores, he was always friendly and funny. He will be sorely missed in this community.

Comment by TDe — 8:16 am May 10, 2012 #

8. Gary and Carl. Simply the best. Thanks, Guys.
    Thinking of you, Barb.

Comment by Karen — 8:25 am May 10, 2012 #

9. RIP Bob. I miss you buddy, knowing that you are in a good place helps. RIP Bob Oschner

Comment by monroe1200 — 10:21 am May 10, 2012 #

10. Condolences to Gary’s life partner and friends. He was a first class mechanic and a joy to talk with. Gary taught me more about car parts and racing then I ever thought I wanted to know! Gary and Carl were my mechanics for almost 20 years because they were the nicest and the best! Alaska street will never be the same without you, Gary.

Comment by wondering — 12:39 am May 11, 2012 #

11. I didn’t know either man, but reading these heartfelt posts puts both a smile on my face and tears in my eyes. I’m afraid they “don’t make ‘em like them anymore.”

Comment by WTF — 7:13 am May 11, 2012 #