New mystery: St. Patrick’s Day stripe repainted, 2 months ‘late’

May 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

The photo is courtesy of a North Admiral resident who doesn’t want to be identified but wrote, “Looks like the leprechauns finally woke up from their 2-month nap and refreshed the green stripe on 41st (behind Metropolitan Market) last night. They even did the shamrock at the end. Was it a special Irish saint’s day? Or just a delay due to rain? Either way, we’re glad it’s back!” We looked up Irish holidays; nothing. Today is exactly two months since St. Patrick’s Day – when the stripe usually turns up “refreshed” – perhaps May was confused with March? Or, someone decided to make it a Syttende Mai stripe instead?

1. Yeah, I did a double-take today when I drove down 41st and saw the fresh stripe. I knew that it wasn’t done for March 17, or thought I knew it!!!

Comment by Mike — 6:29 pm May 17, 2012 #

2. This day is Ballard’s Syttende Mai celebration, the largest outside of Norway. Might have scared them wee people awake with all their Viking energy. (“Oh lord save us from the barbarians from the north;)

Comment by patt — 7:44 pm May 17, 2012 #

3. Wait, I thought you had a policy against showing graffiti/tagging vandalism. Do you make exceptions when the “vandalism” is cute?

Comment by Jody Rodgers — 9:15 pm May 17, 2012 #

4. @jody It is neither a gang sign nor a tagger’s signature/ID…it’s been a quirky West Seattle thing on that street for a lot of years. Far as I know, the WSB has shown blurred out images of the former stuff.

Comment by mookie — 10:07 pm May 17, 2012 #

5. I love quirky WS and I’ve seen the 41st green stripe for years…I’m so glad it finally showed up again! I like the new addition of the shamrock even though I’ve yet to actually see it. Apparently, I need do some traveling and go to the “end”. ;-)

Comment by sun*e — 11:10 pm May 17, 2012 #

6. Go Celtics!

Comment by RJ — 11:11 am May 18, 2012 #

7. National Leprechaun Day was Tuesday. May have played a part-:)

Comment by Mikey — 11:19 am May 18, 2012 #