West Seattle restaurants: Grill fires up at Seattle Fish Company

April 1, 2012 at 11:42 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 32 Comments

Story and photos by Katie Meyer
Reporting for West Seattle Blog

The banners along the front windows spread the news: “Fish and Chips – Oysters & To Go Steamers & Crabs.” With the official “grand opening” of their grilled seafood service still two weeks away, Seattle Fish Company has quietly begun serving sit-down seafood while awaiting their license to pour beer and wine, and fine-tuning the offerings from the kitchen.

When we reported on the Junction business’s plan last October, they had hoped to have the added service up and running by January, but as so often happens with such plans, it took a bit longer.

On Saturday, proprietor Jon Daniels spoke with us about the new layout, planned menu offerings, and extended hours.

While the “market” part of the business is currently open 8:30 am to 7 pm, the “grill” is slated to serve cooked items of choice from 11 am to 9 pm.

The front area of the store now has tables and chairs (a couple booths will be placed along the north wall) for sit-down dining; the tables in the window overlooking California Avenue may someday change to a full-length counter.

Menu choices will include scallops, crab cakes and prawn cakes; grilled items such as salmon, halibut and oysters; steamed options like clams, mussels and crab; and from the fryer, a bounty of cod, salmon or halibut and chips – even prawns and chips. Here’s Chef Dave Harris:

Jon looks forward to rotating some daily or weekly specials like ahi or mahi mahi through the grill menu as well – all the choices and prices will be displayed on a large chalkboard menu to be installed before the official launch.

A few non-seafood dishes will round out the menu – pork chops, chicken, veggies, perhaps a pasta dish or two. And there’s art – a second custom mural by Tess Morgan now graces the south wall:

Seattle Fish Company is at 4435 California SW.

1. Yay! I love all the seafood listed above so I”m really looking forward to checking them out and another plus – they’re in my hood!

Comment by sun*e — 11:50 am April 1, 2012 #

2. I Sea food I Eat it! Can’t wait to dine there / take-out. Good Luck!

Comment by Aman — 11:56 am April 1, 2012 #

3. yummmmm..we need a good seafood place..

Comment by JanS — 12:00 pm April 1, 2012 #

4. YEAH!!!!

Comment by Parent — 12:39 pm April 1, 2012 #

5. I always buy my seafood there but I have to breath very shallow and get out fast because of the smell. Have they done anything to migrate the very strong fishy smell?

Comment by Michael Waldo — 12:46 pm April 1, 2012 #

6. This is great, I’ll definitely be checking them out!

Comment by Scott — 1:40 pm April 1, 2012 #

7. @Michael I’ve noticed that too, and would have hoped that a specialty fresh seafood place would smell better – or rather, not smell – compared to the seafood bin at a grocery store…
    That being said, I’ve always been pleased with the quality of my purchases there, so dunno.

Comment by mookie — 1:42 pm April 1, 2012 #

8. Now were talking! Anyone got a menu to show?

Comment by cj — 2:35 pm April 1, 2012 #

9. Bravo and congrats to Seattle Fish Company! Great quality and such a friendly, helpful staff! We look forward to continuing our shopping there and checking out your new, improved setup. :)

Comment by ILoveWestSeattle — 2:42 pm April 1, 2012 #

10. I just had their cod fish & chips, and all I have to say is that Spuds and The Sunfish better watch their backs; these guys make great F&C because freshness DOES matter, and you can taste the difference!

Comment by The Scooting Gourmet — 2:58 pm April 1, 2012 #

11. Can’t wait for my first visit!

Comment by JennyB — 3:13 pm April 1, 2012 #

12. I really hope they decide to do what they can probably do best; fresh seafood and nix the pork chops, chicken, veggies and pasta mix concept. Do one thing, and do it well. All good wishes in this new venture!

Comment by Diana — 3:21 pm April 1, 2012 #

13. Great news, I love the place. I only wish they were a bit more affordable.

Comment by Harry Reems — 3:23 pm April 1, 2012 #

14. @Scooting I’ve always loved Sunfish’s halibut; have I been deluded all these years?!
    also, probably no official menu yet because it’s in kind of a “soft launch.”

Comment by mookie — 4:19 pm April 1, 2012 #

15. Super idea. Anxious to try it.

Comment by Snow Wimp — 6:02 pm April 1, 2012 #

16. Liked it much better just as a fish market. It had good vibes. Two times I’ve been in since with new owners I felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman trying to sell me on used goods. And the place now (not before) , as others have said stunk…….good luck.

Comment by likefreshfish — 6:54 pm April 1, 2012 #

17. I think it’s a great idea to serve food there, that location is large and the unused space can accommodate and we need a good centrally located fish place to eat or take out. Smart move guys. Keep it simple on the non fish menu for those in a party that don’t eat fish.

Comment by Eaglelover — 7:39 pm April 1, 2012 #

18. I know my Cod. Its a precarious slope but hopefully they’ll school me on how its done. See ya this week! Oh and the Tarter Sauce is Very important too. I’ll be getting the Cod and the oysters. The oysters will be VERY important. In fact, I may skip the Cod and go straight to the Oyster.

Comment by Admiral935 — 8:31 pm April 1, 2012 #

19. yep, i felt like about two years ago there was no smell at all. i wonder what the difference is?

Comment by amnesiak — 9:30 pm April 1, 2012 #

20. How about a new commitment to selling only sustainable seafood? Get rid of the swordfish.

Comment by Brian — 9:53 pm April 1, 2012 #

21. @mookie: don’t get me wrong; I love Sunfish too! Personally, I don’t think salmon or halibut should ever be deep-fried, but a lot of folks around hear swear by halibut & chips. Seattle Fish Co. cooks their stuff to order, so you don’t get anything (even chips!) that have been under a heat lamp; everything’s piping hot & fresh.

@Admiral935: I’ll be very keen to get your take on this. I’m not crazy over their panko-blend breading (personally, I like Ivar’s style of breading best), but I really think their combination of fresh cod + cooking to order makes a difference. Check it out and let us know!

To be brutally honest, I’m not wild about the tartar sauce. I prefer a sweeter/tangy, less dill-y sauce (think Skippers), but I think I’m in the minority here. It’s sort of like the ‘mayo-vs.-Miracle Whip’ debate (I’m squarely in the MW camp!). I think next time I go, I’ll just take my jar of Skipper’s tartar sauce with me.

Comment by The Scooting Gourmet — 9:58 pm April 1, 2012 #

22. I love the new fish and chips place at 35th ave sw and Henderson, across from the library. It is called West Seattle Fish House. For those of you Ivars and Sunfish lovers, you have got to try it! Fresh and affordable!

Comment by Gabrielle — 11:21 pm April 1, 2012 #

23. @Brian That would definitely get me to shop there. I usually end up going to Metropolitan Market with the Monterey Bay Aquarium list app open (although Met Market overwhelmingly offers sustainable options). You’d think Mashiko (a couple of blocks away) with its push for sustainable fish might rub off on its neighbors.

That said, I’m looking forward to stopping by for a fish sandwich from time to time. I walk by all the time.

Comment by mightymo — 1:36 pm April 2, 2012 #

24. I hope they help me get over the loss of Alki Fish Co.

Comment by Kara — 7:36 pm April 2, 2012 #

25. Really hope they put some affordable lunch items on the menu… some fresh mahi tacos and salmon sandwiches. Yum.

Comment by Excited — 8:59 am April 3, 2012 #

26. Went there yesterday it was absolutely delicious! The best Fish and Chips Ive ever had!

Comment by bonbon — 10:15 am April 3, 2012 #

27. OMG, people! Sweetest cod I’ve ever eaten! And I lived in New England! The cole slaw was hand made by the lightest hand! Just the right pinch of pepper and moisture!!! Sampled the tartar sauce. Yum. Even the fries were tasty.

Comment by Myr-myr — 12:07 pm April 3, 2012 #

28. I love this place, and now it’s even better!

Comment by NotMe — 12:32 pm April 3, 2012 #

29. Just returned from a wonderful meal at WSFC. Wow. Their cod was so fresh and yummy. I can’t say I knew the difference in freshness before. I usually judged fish and chips based on the type of breading. But now I get it. This place is doing it right. Someone described it as “sweet”. I agree. It was fresh and sweet. So good. There was no fishy smell in the place either. Great service. We asked if they had fried oysters while ordering and the owner came from around the back when he heard my question and enthusiasticly declared they’d be happy to make them for us, even though it wasn’t currently something they offered. Clearly they have a competent cooking staff, because our generous portion of fried oysters (at least 12, but probably more like 15) were cooked perfectly. I agree with the above poster that suggested that spuds and sunfish better watch their backs. With this quality of food, and great prices, WSFC is a force to be reconned with. We were excited to see (as we left) that they’ll prepare anything in their fresh case for you for a $5 plate fee. So many amazing options. We are lucky in Seattle to have such fresh seafood, and especially lucky in West Seattle to have WSFC. I have a feeling others will be driving across the bridge to enjoy this delightful place!

Comment by Danielle — 9:38 pm April 6, 2012 #

30. I’m with Brian – please make a commitment to selling/serving only sustainably harvested seafood:

The ocean and your neighbors will thank you :)

Comment by Christen — 8:01 pm April 7, 2012 #

31. I’m SO hungry for GOOD F&C. When I recently visited WS (I now live in Calif.) I stopped in @ WSFC but was worried about the fishy stench even ‘tho the fish looked fresh. Next time I’ll gather my courage & try the fish-n-chips. It’ll be good to be ‘home’ again.

Comment by Roma — 5:30 pm April 9, 2012 #

32. I have a request that you do some fish breading that is egg, dairy and soy free. It is impossible to find fish and chips in a restaurant w/o these. If the city knew you had allergen-free options you’d be getting an under-served client base.

Comment by AllergyMama — 8:57 am April 10, 2012 #