West Seattle Crime Watch: John’s Corner Deli robbery

April 22, 2012 at 11:56 am | In Crime, Sunrise Heights, West Seattle news | 16 Comments

11:56 AM: Police are rushing to 35th/Webster where an armed robbery has just been reported. We have this description so far – white male, around 6 feet tall, in his 30s, black/gray hair, black baseball cap, black jeans, dark vest, green T shirt, unshaven (with “a little” facial hair), tinted gray sunglasses, last seen running north “and then headed back east” from the area, per the scanner. More as we get it.

12:20 PM UPDATE: At the scene (adding a photo), we have confirmed with police that the business robbed was indeed John’s Corner Deli – not the first time. No injuries reported. In addition to the robber description above, police say they are looking for an apparent accomplice driving a getaway vehicle (there was one scanner report of a possible dark SUV headed east on Holden).

12:52 PM UPDATE: No word of any luck so far finding the robber/s.

MONDAY UPDATE: We just called SPD to ask for any additional details. Aside from what’s reported above, two things – one, confirmation that the robber WAS armed; he “removed a handgun from his waistline, pointed it at the clerk, demanded money from the till, the victim handed over an undisclosed amount of cash and the (robber) fled the store,” Det. Mark Jamieson tells WSB. There’s also a different description of a POSSIBLE getaway vehicle – white early-to-mid ’90s Buick or Oldsmobile.

1. Thanks for the info. My neighborhood. Was it the corner store??

Comment by js — 12:10 pm April 22, 2012 #

2. Trap door in the floor right in front of the cash register. If I were a store owner, I’d find a legal* way to make that happen. I hope the clerk, while understandably shaken up, is ok!
    * legal probably not covering the sharpened-stick-wielding rabid tigers I’d have waiting beneath the trap door.

Comment by mookie — 12:26 pm April 22, 2012 #

3. Pretty crummy. The folks that run this place are very nice, and certainly don’t deserve repeated robbery.

They’ve changed the stocking a bit, including fresh vegetables and fruit & healthier stuff – I suggesting helping out by stopping by & buying something.

Comment by MAS — 12:45 pm April 22, 2012 #

4. I hope they didn’t get away with the cow on the roof.

Comment by Gary — 12:51 pm April 22, 2012 #

5. Cow still there. Continuously as far as we know since being briefly windswept-away during the Great Windstorm of 2006 – it was in one of the first photos we ever published:

Comment by WSB — 1:10 pm April 22, 2012 #

6. Cash mob!

Comment by Mob it — 1:33 pm April 22, 2012 #

7. Sunrise Heights? Thats funny! I have lived in WS for 58 years, and my mom and dad were born and raised there too. My grandmother had lived in WS since the early 1900′s, and my cousins grew up east of that store and the area has always been known as the High Point neighborhood. Sunrise Heights…thats news to me…but it sounds good.

Comment by Alkigirl — 1:38 pm April 22, 2012 #

8. We go through this every story that comes up there. Yes, especially on the east side of 35th, it’s Sunrise Heights. We haven’t heard High Point used for anything south of Myrtle – THESE days; obviously we can’t speak for history! Here’s the last discussion – in fact, it followed our story last December about healthier food at John’s Corner Deli:

Comment by WSB — 1:50 pm April 22, 2012 #

9. Those poor owners! I’ve lived across from John’s since 2009 and they’ve been robbed (or at least had attempted robberies) at least once a year since we moved in. If they decide to go with the trapdoor I’d be willing to lend them my carpenter hubby! I’ll tiger sit when they go on vacation.

Comment by pampire — 2:07 pm April 22, 2012 #

10. It’s been Sunrise Heights since long before most of us were born. I had never heard the name until I was an adult, but it has still always been the neighborhood’s official name, non the less. Just bought a house near John’s and the King County Parcel Viewer image of our house from 46′ clearly says Sunrise Heights. Anyway, back to the actual point…thanks as usual for the info! We are located in the direction the suspect apparently ran. Glad to know what to keep an eye out for!! Ugh…

Comment by MB — 2:41 pm April 22, 2012 #

11. Wasn’t the cow temporarily abducted some time ago by my old alma mater? (Chief Sealth High School)

Comment by Rick — 3:17 pm April 22, 2012 #

12. Always was called Olympic Heights when I was a kid. Just north on the same side of the street was the Olympic Heights creamery. They had great burgers and Ice cream

Comment by JimClark — 4:40 pm April 22, 2012 #

13. It was called Olympic heights when I was growing up too. Kenyon Hall used to be Olympic Heights hall. My dad was on the board. I bet some of you played pee wee baseball for Olympic Heights ( OH). He coached that for a while.

Comment by Tammy — 8:40 am April 23, 2012 #

14. Always sorry to hear about robberies, especially a long-standing small business in our neighborhood. Glad nobody was hurt.
    I’m all for the trap door!

Comment by Todd — 8:51 am April 23, 2012 #

15. A trap door? Every lawyer that crawled from under a rock would jump on this in a heartbeat. They’d call it entrapment.

Comment by phil dirt — 8:42 am April 25, 2012 #

16. This is very disturbing not to mention home invasions in the area too. My street (not far from this business at all) is very quiet and peaceful. Almost too quiet. Hopefully these criminals are caught.

Comment by Bill Fornwalt — 7:19 pm April 28, 2012 #