Attention, night owls: Brief Comcast outage likely overnight

March 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle online | 27 Comments

After finding out from this WSB Forums post that Comcast had issued a warning of an overnight internet-service outage tonight (actually early tomorrow), we checked to see how widespread it would be. Here’s the reply from Comcast’s Steve Kipp:

We will be doing maintenance on the vast majority of our service area in West Seattle. The work will take place between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. We anticipate that service will be interrupted for about 5 minutes. The time of the interruption will vary depending on when we do the maintenance work on the equipment serving that neighborhood.

All of the work will take place at our headend facility in Burien and won’t involve construction crews working out in the individual neighborhoods.

1. Not that I was planning on watching, but isn’t that during the Mariners Opening Game in Japan?

Comment by Steph — 6:27 pm March 27, 2012 #

2. Hold it, NO OVERNIGHT BASEBALL IN JAPAN?! NO!

Comment by Eilis Flynn — 6:34 pm March 27, 2012 #

3. Advance warning. That’s a bigger shock than the service outage itself. Note to self–> if the Internet connection doesn’t work as it should in the a.m., reboot the router. To verify perforrmance, go to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ . Right now my performance with comcast is near dial-up levels. Pathetic. Hopefully that is due to the system maintenance.

Comment by rw — 6:42 pm March 27, 2012 #

4. I’d imagine there will be some pissed Mariners fans. Seeing how the play opening day in Japan at 3am

Comment by Mike — 7:38 pm March 27, 2012 #

5. @RW–we feel the same. Comcast speed pathetically slow—we are beyond dial-up and nearing Gerbils running in cages. We aren’t sure if it is to sell their enhanced service or what. Our Comcast cable was really bad, too, but we called, complained, and said they’d have to start crediting our account if it did not improve—lo! and behold, it started working perfectly. I better quit typing and get this posted, otherwise my internet will fail and I’ll have to start over. If any Comcast staff are reading this, take note: your service in West Seattle is appalling.

Comment by Carraing na Splinkeen — 8:00 pm March 27, 2012 #

6. I hate Comicast!

Comment by Doug Weaver — 8:06 pm March 27, 2012 #

7. WTF!? Did they not check to see that M’s are on this morning? I am planning to watch. Or I was. A-holes.

Comment by OP — 8:10 pm March 27, 2012 #

8. Gee, talk about robo-call hyperbole! If the outage was only going to be five minutes I wonder why they even bothered to do the robo-calls articulating a five hour window.

Comment by cjboffoli — 8:20 pm March 27, 2012 #

9. I can’t say that I feel any affection for any telecom company, but I have to admit that my Comcast Business Class service is the fastest, most trouble-free and best value-for-the-money of any Internet service that I’ve ever had. Going from Qwest DSL to Comcast cable Internet was like going from a mule to a Audi R8.

Comment by cjboffoli — 8:55 pm March 27, 2012 #

10. Of course they would do it the exact day the M’s play at 3am

Comment by Nick — 9:56 pm March 27, 2012 #

11. Comcast service just went out here on 36th Ave SW. Typing from my AT&T 4G tether. Anyone else experiencing an outage right now?

Comment by Mike Brophy — 10:21 pm March 27, 2012 #

12. My cable and Internet are out right now. Perhaps the work started early?

Comment by Dparker — 10:27 pm March 27, 2012 #

13. Our phone, cable and internets are out. It’s only 10:30. Comcast advised “when the issues are resolved the service should come back on. We have no indication of what’s causing the problem.” brilliant.

Comment by Brooke — 10:29 pm March 27, 2012 #

14. My cable just went out. 2 am….pfft!

Comment by west seattlite — 10:29 pm March 27, 2012 #

15. Comcast Internet is already down here at 38th and Hanford…someone pull the switch a little early there?

Comment by Rs — 10:44 pm March 27, 2012 #

16. Now I expect the AT&T 4G cell will go down soon with all the overflow traffic from Comcrap’s outage.

Comment by Mike Brophy — 10:52 pm March 27, 2012 #

17. Comcast truck @ 38th and Hanford going up to the pole…

Comment by Rs — 10:57 pm March 27, 2012 #

18. No internet or TV on Belvidere either!

Comment by Belvidere — 11:03 pm March 27, 2012 #

19. My Internet is already down. Just when I was finishing up some work!

Comment by Denise — 11:33 pm March 27, 2012 #

20. Internet and TV are back up here on 36th & Genesee!

Comment by Mike Brophy — 11:34 pm March 27, 2012 #

21. Internet is back…truck left too.

Comment by Rs — 11:36 pm March 27, 2012 #

22. Thanks for the updates. I don’t have an overnight contact but will inquire in the morning.

Comment by WSB — 12:08 am March 28, 2012 #

23. My Comcast internet hasn’t been able to hook up for more than a few seconds for the past five days . . . Has anyone else experienced that? I was going to call Comcast today and find out what’s going on, but if this is what everyone else is experiencing then maybe I’ll give it another day . . .

Comment by Stacey — 7:19 am March 28, 2012 #

24. I must say this again, for the 3rd time on this blog. We have had Centurylink(Qwest) for years and have never had a problem. Knock on wood. The new Comcast commercials knocking Centurylink make me mad because they are just not true as far as it goes at our house. The speed has been good and no outages really makes a difference. Thumbs way up for Centurylink if you are tired of outages.

Comment by Westie — 9:50 am March 28, 2012 #

25. Rs, did you get a photo of that truck going up the pole at 38th & Hanford? I’d REALLY like to see that … ;)

Comment by BlairJ — 12:16 pm March 28, 2012 #

26. I work for Comcast and I would like to apologize for the trouble.

If you need further assistance, you may contact us at the email provided below. Please include your info as well as the link to this page for reference.

Thanks!

Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Comment by ComcastMark — 1:10 pm March 28, 2012 #

27. Stacey,
    If you don’t have cable for even a day, call them and they’ll credit you the days and help you troubleshoot it.

I’m kind of shuddering at not having internet for that long of a time.

Comment by LyndaB — 3:57 pm March 28, 2012 #