New in West Seattle: Alki Juice and Java in ex-Bubbles spot

February 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm | In West Seattle news, WS beverages | 26 Comments

That’s Tammy, who, with husband Pete, has just opened Alki Juice and Java across from Seacrest. (The space they have taken over was longtime home to Bubbles.) Tammy e-mailed us to share the news about their new business (she shared the photo too), and says:

The menu consists of fresh organic juice options, as well as smoothies made with frozen fruit and juice, and espresso. We already have an amazing mix of customers, residents nearby, scuba divers, Coast Guard employees, water taxi commuters, and people out for a stroll along the water.

No website yet, but Tammy says it’ll be up soon. Alki Juice and Java is open 7 am-4 pm weekdays, 8 am-4 pm weekends.

ADDED 2:09 PM: For commenter “Coffee” and anyone else who wondered – Tammy says they’re using coffee from Zoka.

1. Ah, address?

Comment by WTF — 12:33 pm February 27, 2012 #

2. It is literally across from Seacrest. 1619 Harbor SW.

Comment by WSB — 12:43 pm February 27, 2012 #

3. So now I need to put a few extra minutes into my mornings, potentially. Smoothies are a favorite breakfast option.

Comment by odroku — 1:07 pm February 27, 2012 #

4. This is SO great! Bubbles was awful (no offense to past owners, I’m sure they really tried once they bought it from the original owners — who were actually awesome). Anyhoo… nice to have some food/drink/java options before boarding the Water Taxi to work. WELCOME!

Comment by Cheryl — 1:10 pm February 27, 2012 #

5. Whom is the roaster?

Comment by coffee — 1:13 pm February 27, 2012 #

6. Oh this sounds great after a long run on Alki! So glad to hear about it.

Comment by Sybil — 1:14 pm February 27, 2012 #

7. I love the idea of organic juices and smoothies! I hope they will consider opening up a bit earlier to accommodate the first water taxi of the day commuters. I’m sure they could pick up a lot of morning coffee/espresso customers if so. (FYI – the first Water Taxi is at 6:45 a.m. currently.)

Comment by April — 1:17 pm February 27, 2012 #

8. Coffee, I realized as soon as I hit “publish” that I failed to ask that ESSENTIAL followup question regarding espresso sellers. Following up and will add when I know (or if anyone reading this has been there already, please add!) – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:20 pm February 27, 2012 #

9. I wish you well. Just a business note…PUT UP A WEB SITE! This cost $50 – couple hundred dollars. Doesn’t have to be some dynamic fancy web site, just a STATIC page with your address, hours, location, etc. You REALLY REALLY want people to be able to see you when they Google/Bing/Siri or whatever for “coffee west seattle”.

A simple web site is one of the greatest business advertising elements you can do. It drives me nuts to watch folks spend $100K on a business and $0 on advertising.

Comment by Dave — 1:38 pm February 27, 2012 #

10. Welcome to the neighborhood. I wish you much success!

Comment by Aman — 1:44 pm February 27, 2012 #

11. Tammy did say they’ll have one soon.
    In general, for ALL businesses, agree with your point, and we bring this up often – it can even be on “blog” software, even something free at wordpress.com to which you can redirect your domain mybusiness.com and can set up in a matter of minutes. Even worse (again, I am NOT talking about Tammy’s fledgling business), some businesses are misguidedly only using Facebook these days, and it’s generally all but unsearchable, both when Googling/Binging in general, or when even searching within FB for something (trust me, at least once a day I have to try to find some business or organization’s FB page, and no matter what form the search query takes, the results are maddeningly inconsistent/incomplete – if you do have a business Facebook page, get the vanity URL as soon as you are able so at least it will be in the facebook.com/westseattleblog format rather than facebook.com/pages/my-business-name/UNMEMORIZABLESTRINGOFNUMBERS).
    Threadjack over! For “Coffee” – Tammy says the roaster is Zoka. I will add that to the story. – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:45 pm February 27, 2012 #

12. Congrats Pete and Tammy…from one of your neighbors!

Comment by onceachef — 2:14 pm February 27, 2012 #

13. Unreal man, can’t wait to try, just unreal man.

Comment by Bret barnecal — 2:20 pm February 27, 2012 #

14. Still Zoka? Bummer. That seemed to be part of the problem with Bubbles.

Comment by alki_2008 — 3:20 pm February 27, 2012 #

15. Thanks for finding out whom the roaster is, and yes, it can be critical for some of us coffee people!

Comment by coffee — 3:46 pm February 27, 2012 #

16. Nice. Thanks for the update. I’m wondering, given that they emphasized organic juice, are the smoothies made with organic ingredients? Also, are they choosing Zoka’s organic beans? Organic milk options for espresso drinks?

I’m not aware of anyone along the beach doing organic coffees, it would be nice to have a place that does (even if it’s 2+ miles from home!)

Comment by Mark K — 4:31 pm February 27, 2012 #

17. Yay! Great new business to try for smoothies and coffee :)

Is there wi-fi? How much seating is there? Always looking for new places to meet friends and get a little work done.

Comment by Kate K — 4:44 pm February 27, 2012 #

18. SWEEEEET!!! I can’t read the menu but can I get wheatgrass here? Super excited!!! (and Zoka is a fabulous choice!!!)

Comment by WestsideMom — 5:23 pm February 27, 2012 #

19. Nice…Zoka is good coffee. Hope they do well. I’ll be sure to stop by. :)

Comment by Alki Area — 5:45 pm February 27, 2012 #

20. Looks like they should have changed the name from Bubbles to Juggles! ;-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 5:50 pm February 27, 2012 #

21. Bubbles coffee was terrible. Maybe it was operator error? I’ll try this establishment on my eat to the water taxi in Hopes for better baristas.

Comment by Lorelee — 6:28 pm February 27, 2012 #

22. Yay! Bubbles was losing me shortly after the high school girls started talking about how drunk they got the night before and ran out of bubble tea an hour before closing. If you still need a bubble tea fix Pearls on Delridge is awesome! Good luck Alki Juice and Java! See ya soon!

Comment by Kara — 11:11 pm February 27, 2012 #

23. I chatted with Tammy a few weeks back, she seems super cool and it sounds like it will be awesome! I bet if there is some menu item/idea, be it wraps or sandwiches or pastries or whatever, NOW is the time to let her know what we would like!

(and she is diver friendly! WOOP! WOOP!)

PS. We love the healthy food idea!

Comment by DiverLaura — 12:35 am February 28, 2012 #

24. Decent cup of coffee. I miss the original bubbles (as in when they first opened and the owner was also the operator) but it had gone to crap in recent years. Welcome Juice and Java I’lll have to try the juice next time.

Comment by WS Born & Bred — 7:51 am February 28, 2012 #

25. p.s. might want to also consider staying open a bit longer in the afternoon/evening to catch the afternoon returning water taxi commuters. a smoothie before or after a workout (after getting off of work and the water taxi) sounds like a wonderful idea!

Comment by April — 2:14 pm February 28, 2012 #

26. @Kate K – there is seating for *maybe* 5 inside & another 4-6 outside on warmer days (assuming they keep some cafe tables outside).
    In other words? Teeny tiny! 200-300 sq feet max. Including the back bar area.

Comment by Jasperblu — 11:22 pm February 28, 2012 #