Followup: Andrew Borracchini’s bid for bagging glory

February 15, 2012 at 7:35 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 14 Comments

(Photos courtesy National Grocers Association)
Though he didn’t make the top 5 at the national championship, Washington State’s “Best Bagger,” Andrew Borracchini from Metropolitan Market (WSB sponsor) in Admiral, is a winner just the same. The national bag-offs were Monday in Las Vegas, during the National Grocers Association convention, and a 30-year-old woman who works at a Piggly-Wiggly in Wisconsin brought in the bacon (the $10,000 grand prize). Andrew had quite the cheering section (as noted in our preview before his departure), T-shirts and all!

And MM spokesperson Torie McIntyre says that “out of 24 contestants, (Andrew) made it until the Top 5 were chosen. He competed well and represented Metropolitan Market and West Seattle (and Washington!) well.” (Here’s coverage from the Las Vegas Sun and from the Las Vegas Review-Journal – Andrew’s in one of their pix.)

1. … Such a terrific young man!…. And I am so impressed by the support and enthusiasm the folks at Metropolitan Market have shown toward him….. Congratulations all!

Comment by Dano — 7:43 am February 15, 2012 #

2. Good work Andrew! I’m sure that when your are 30 you’d kick that woman from the Wisconsin “Piggly-Wiggly’s butt!! Hoorah!!!

Comment by Aman — 8:13 am February 15, 2012 #

3. This story is awesome. Congrats to Andrew!

Comment by Tuesday — 8:24 am February 15, 2012 #

4. Such a young man to have made it into the top 5!
    That is amazing. Congratulations Andrew!

Comment by JoAnne — 8:43 am February 15, 2012 #

5. Sorry if my copy’s unclear – he didn’t make the top 5 – but was in the competition all the way up to that round, according to spokesperson Torie. – TR

Comment by WSB — 8:46 am February 15, 2012 #

6. I thought this was a parody at first. But good for him.

My Name is Earl did an episode on a bagging championship and I thought they’d made the whole thing up.

Comment by dbsea — 9:02 am February 15, 2012 #

7. The National Grocers Association – independent stores/groups like Metropolitan, so far as I can tell – has been doing this a long time. Seems brilliant to me to take your industry and get it some extra marketing/attention, and celebrate some of the people involved in it outside the executive offices, by spotlighting one particular service they offer, with something fun like this. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:16 am February 15, 2012 #

8. Tracy– is Andrew a Borracchini, as in the bakery?

Comment by SHQ — 9:35 am February 15, 2012 #

9. SHQ, yes. I asked him during our pre-championship interview why he was working at Metro Market and not oh say the family business, and he said something along the lines of, his family thought it was a great idea to get some experience in the rest of the business world before potentially joining in theirs!

Comment by WSB — 9:42 am February 15, 2012 #

10. I think he was thrown by all that crappy, mega-conglomerate, mass-produced food. Working at Met Mark he never has to bag that junk.

Comment by Westside — 10:27 am February 15, 2012 #

11. I just can’t stop looking at the mullet the guy in front of the cheering section is sporting.

Comment by off topic — 11:04 am February 15, 2012 #

12. off topic – I’m so glad you posted that because I was thinking the same thing. It’s like he was Photoshopped in from the 1987 bagging competition which must have been held in Bensonhurst.

Comment by ohthehorror — 2:34 pm February 15, 2012 #

13. #1 to me!!!

Comment by k — 6:20 pm February 15, 2012 #

14. Off topic…thanks for the belly laugh…so true!

And congrats to Andrew…