West Seattle weather: Ice storm warning; other Thurs. a.m. updates

January 19, 2012 at 6:24 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle weather | 135 Comments

(TOPLINES: Ice-storm warning extended till 2 pm … Non-school closures/changes, including all libraries & Seattle Parks facilities, here … Keep scrolling down for frequent updates; we’ll launch afternoon coverage by 1 pm)

(Latest bridge and Viaduct views; more cams on the WSB Traffic page)
An “ice storm warning” is this morning’s big news so far – with more freezing rain, resulting in conditions more dangerous than “just snow.” Here’s the National Weather Service warning.

SCHOOL CLOSURES: Once again today, just about every school is closed; South Seattle Community College has made its announcement too. Here’s the list.

OTHER CLOSURES/CHANGES: Seattle Public Library has announced its facilities are all closed because of the weather. Sea-Tac Airport is reporting delays. Seattle Public Utilities says NO residential pickup, limited commercial pickup. We’ll continue adding other government/business/etc. closures/changes to this list as we get them.

TRANSIT: Metro is again chained up and on snow routes with some cancellations – check here.

ONGOING UPDATES – STARTING AT 6:46 AM: In comments on the overnight roundup, “Smokey Cretin” has words of warning: You might have a LOT of ice on your windshield – and don’t do anything drastic like dumping hot water on it, “unless you want to buy a new windshield.” But the top-level advice is beyond that – PLEASE stay home if you possibly can. There’s no official word so far of road closures, but we’re monitoring all public communications channels, and things COULD change fast.

7:11 AM UPDATE: In comments, LyndaB reports the bridge was “slushy” this past hour but OK. Power outages could be a problem if too much ice builds up on lines – so if anything you really need isn’t fully charged, you might consider plugging it in before it’s too late. Just announced – no residential trash (etc.) pickup in Seattle today.

7:51 AM UPDATE: Crews are going to a reported downed/burning tree in far southeast WS, possibly related to power wires. No word of outages in our area (we’re watching the map) but lots of flickers.

8:11 AM UPDATE: Just ventured briefly outside. Serious ice on vehicles. Everything crunchy underfoot. You can hear the freezing rain as it falls. Windshield photo above (THICK ice, on car hood too). Video:

Listen to the crunch of the snow – and if you listen close, the freezing rain falling. Toward the end of the minute-long clip, you can see the ice coating plant stems.

8:37 AM UPDATE:
On KING 5 just now, SDOT’s Rick Sheridan told Tracy Taylor that they have one plow devoted EXCLUSIVELY to the high bridge – no major problems reported currently either there or on the Alaskan Way Viaduct. (See live cams above.)

9:20 AM UPDATE: Just heard Linda from Metro mention “significant delays” for buses in some areas – another good reason not to go out if you don’t have to. ALSO – Seattle Parks has just announced, community centers/pools are closed today.

9:58 AM UPDATE: Bus stuck in the 4700 block of 35th SW per scanner, and other traffic may not be able to get around it. Continuing to add to the changes/closures list – Seattle Chinese Garden is the latest – adding businesses too. That includes restaurants. One restaurant is trying something inventive – via Facebook, Tuscan Tea Room Bistro in The Junction says that while its cooks are stuck and can’t come in, they’re offering free pots of tea 11 am-3 pm. (Tea-accompanying treats will cost you, of course, but the tea is free.) Meantime, Mike Jensen sent this photo of a downed tree in his Seaview-area neighborhood:

Tree damage is a distinct hazard in ice storms, as branches get weighed down – if you have to be outside, be very careful, for trouble above as well as underfoot!

10:12 AM UPDATE: Ice-storm warning extended till 2 pm. Metro bus trouble in at least two spots – stuck buses reported on 35th by The Mount (via scanner) and on California SW heading up Gatewood hill (via e-mail). (added) Twitter also reveals one stuck on 35th near Morgan.

11:11 AM UPDATE: And Tami sends the shot of bus trouble at 35th/Roxbury. We also have a general road-condition photo courtesy of Kate, on California SW looking south from Spokane:

Also some ice photos coming in, like this one from Diane in Westwood:

If you’re waiting for updates on Sea-Tac after the morning runway closures – KING 5 just reported a second runway is now open.

11:57 AM UPDATE:
In the next hour or so, we will launch afternoon coverage, but this’ll keep going till then. We’re also working on the “snow bird” gallery, thanks for the photos! Also still adding to non-school closure/change list, hearing from more businesses and organizations – latest, ArtsWest canceling tonight’s show.

1:19 PM: Just started the snow bird gallery. Afternoon coverage next. Buses stuck on 35th in various spots – that’s the latest trouble we’ve heard of. And it seems to be a little more SNOW than frozen rain here in Upper Fauntleroy right now …

1. Any word on busses?

Comment by Jen — 6:47 am January 19, 2012 #

2. Buses are on snow routes, several gave been canceled (didn’t recognize any ws routes in king county metro email). Bridge is slow going but okay at 6:48 am. Thin layer on the bridge, hopefully they’ll give it another plow or what have you. Bridge to I-5 N is okay, speed limit is 45 on I-5, then 40 by the I-90 exit.

Comment by K — 6:50 am January 19, 2012 #

3. Any word on road conditions for California Ave and 35th Ave??

Comment by HelperMonkey — 6:54 am January 19, 2012 #

4. Left from 35th and Juneau at 6:10ish. Road looked the same as last night. Slushy but I took it slow down the hill. The bridge was ok as well. Most drivers out were cautious on the bridge. Once I got out to North I-5 people were going on speeds of 30-40 and some more than that. I stayed in the right lane. It was good and slushy through to UW Med Center. Got here at 6:45.

Noticed the 128 on 35th going southbound ok with one 128 disabled on the side. Not much I saw when I was out.

Comment by LyndaB — 6:58 am January 19, 2012 #

5. I started from Othello St. & Fauntleroy, I took off my snow chains before I left (Honda Civic). Went up Fauntleroy, past California, all the way to West Seattle bridge. Roads are wet and a little slushy is all, at least they were @ 6:30am. I continued across the bridge, North 99, Western Ave. exit. All roads are wet & slushy @6:30. Side streets downtown are packed snow mostly, I went downhill from Western to Elliott without any trouble, at like 1 mph though. No slipping.

Comment by Greg — 7:05 am January 19, 2012 #

6. The High Bridge was slick but passable at 5:45. I only went as far as the 4th ave offramp to get to Georgetown.

BTW, Lucile St, between 1st and 6th is a sheet of ice covered snow.

Please people, watch your speeds.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 7:05 am January 19, 2012 #

7. if you have to go anywhere, leave about 15 to 20 minutes to just de-ice your car. Mine had at LEAST 1/4″ of ice. Dont use a bucket of hot water on it, unless you want to buy a new windsheild and dont use your electric side windows either.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 7:06 am January 19, 2012 #

8. Does anyone remember the name of that app that the really nice guy from WS made for traffic cams during the 99 closure? That would be a helpful tool during these treacherous weather situations!

Comment by Beehive — 7:07 am January 19, 2012 #

9. From Arbor Heights to the Junction the roads were slushy but seemed fine. I am finding the SDOT map of what they plow/sand/de-ice VERY helpful this storm.

(Why didn’t I see that in years past?!?) Anyway, Holden is the way to go from 35th to California. It’s obvious no plowing etc was done from Holden to Thistle. Good luck out there & keep it slow and steady.

Comment by a 4WD driver — 7:07 am January 19, 2012 #

10. so is Wednesday’s garbage pick-up still re-scheduled for today?

Comment by sam-c — 7:07 am January 19, 2012 #

11. All three runways at SeaTac airport are frozen over. Alaska Airlines has canceled all flights until 10 am. Reported incident at 8400 block of Delridge around 6:40 am.

Comment by garden_nymph — 7:13 am January 19, 2012 #

12. Just noticed the title of this thread reads “Other Wednesday morning updates”- it’s Thursday right?

Comment by Jena — 7:16 am January 19, 2012 #

13. our lights have blinked a few times. hope the power doesn’t go out.

Comment by sam-c — 7:16 am January 19, 2012 #

14. I wonder what the chances of a power outage are? Lights are flickering…

Comment by curious — 7:18 am January 19, 2012 #

15. Our lights in North Admiral have been flickering too.

Comment by bsmomma — 7:19 am January 19, 2012 #

16. Sorry, Jena, thanks for pointing it out, fixed.
    Re: power outages, our advice – Be sure you are charged up. Many folks find info by smartphone in outages (rather than the old-school battery-powered radios) so don’t be caught at half-charge or something. We of course are always charging, and we have a generator among other backup power supplies, so we will be “on” no matter what.
    GN – What incident on Delridge? Nothing on the 911 log but of course that wouldn’t show a stalled vehicle, or …
    4WD – This is the first year of the SDOT road map. We have had some inaccuracy reports so I’ve been a bit leery of citing it extensively, but glad to hear it’s helpful. Maybe by next winter we’ll have a bus GPS map too. – TR

Comment by WSB — 7:19 am January 19, 2012 #

17. Residential garbage pick-up is canceled (updated on front page). Downtown is mostly okay, streets are slushy and slick in places.

Comment by K — 7:20 am January 19, 2012 #

18. Left at 6:15am this morning, drivers were driving defensively. Went all the way on i-90 out to Eastgate for work, got up to 50ish on 90 with no problems. Had more problems getting out of the QFC parking lot than on the roads. Take it slow and you’ll get there.

Comment by Brandon — 7:20 am January 19, 2012 #

19. http://seacam.redoctober.com/

Still have it saved on my phone to check traffic :)

Comment by Ash — 7:24 am January 19, 2012 #

20. White center buses running–saw 2
    120s and am on a 125 right now–also a 113 was heading to Shorewood

Comment by Karen — 7:26 am January 19, 2012 #

21. Anyone seen a 21 or 54 in west seattle?

Comment by Jen — 7:27 am January 19, 2012 #

22. Sitting at the airport and they are saying the airport is shut down till 9am for now….no other updates yet…

Comment by coffee — 7:27 am January 19, 2012 #

23. Per Kiro traffic site. I drive Delridge so it caught my eye. Thought I would give folks a heads up. Sorry if it was the wrong thing to do. Keep up all your great work!

Comment by garden_nymph — 7:29 am January 19, 2012 #

24. I can take the bus to work downtown but need to drive my son from Alki to Morgan junction/gatewood school area. Any news or advice on getting there?

Comment by Barb — 7:31 am January 19, 2012 #

25. Does anyone know if the water taxi is running? What about the water taxi shuttles?

Comment by Allison — 7:33 am January 19, 2012 #

26. Really? My friend at the airport says she has not heard anything from Alaska and her flight at 9 AM is listed as On Time…

Comment by Jenava — 7:34 am January 19, 2012 #

27. No water taxi problems reported this morning. P.S. One way we double-verified that was to look up the Rachel Marie via http://marinetraffic.com – which shows its exact location (and the track of its back and forth runs) … sometimes handier in a pinch than trying to contact a media-relations person, who in turn has to contact a manager, who in turn has to contact crew, etc … TR

Comment by WSB — 7:37 am January 19, 2012 #

28. Hopelink is supposed to arrive to take me and hubby to Seattle Cancer Care.
    36th Ave SW looks used but still lots of snow/ice on the roadway. Thank goodness we are one block from the bridge entrance.

If I had my way, I’d be in a hotel next door to Fred Hutch or hunkered down w/ my kitties….

Stay warm, keep all important items charged and be safe.

Comment by renaissancered — 7:38 am January 19, 2012 #

29. Any reports of conditions on Roxbury heading down the hill to 509/South Park?

Comment by chris — 7:40 am January 19, 2012 #

30. Heavy ice fall in Highpoint area now. I was chipping ice and preparing to clear a car but it got heavy enough to drive me back inside.

I think I am gonna wait for the melt or at least till the sleet/freezing rain stops.

The lights are flickering here too.

Comment by Ken — 7:41 am January 19, 2012 #

31. Per Alaska Airline website, all flights are cancelled until 10 am, no unaccompanied minors today. Update, I just checked their website again and it no longer mentions 10 am. It now states flights between CA, WA and AK are cancelled.

Comment by garden_nymph — 7:42 am January 19, 2012 #

32. Just saw a 54 bus heading up California to downtown, Jen. I am not sure if I’m going into the office downtown today, personally. :/

Comment by Kayleigh — 7:49 am January 19, 2012 #

33. Somebody is spinning their wheels like crazy in Highland Park this morning…

Comment by datamuse — 7:54 am January 19, 2012 #

34. So W’s bridge clear?…where can I find out about 99viaduct,? I wanna try to make to work and cant seem to find anything solid

Comment by ca — 7:55 am January 19, 2012 #

35. I took the 55 downtown this morning with no problems. Walking to the bus was the hardest part. It’s pretty icy out there. Stay safe everyone.

Comment by Jennifer — 7:55 am January 19, 2012 #

36. @Greg. Thanks for that update. That is my everyday route. VERY helpful.

Comment by undrgrndwmn — 7:56 am January 19, 2012 #

37. 116, 54x running just behind schedule

Comment by JW — 7:56 am January 19, 2012 #

38. Admiral to Fremont at 7:15 was about 30 mins.

traffic was slight and the roads passable.

Comment by matt — 7:56 am January 19, 2012 #

39. 16th, Delridge and the low bridge are all slick with light slush and freezing rain, but passable. At about 7:00, I saw a 23 bus turn S off Holden onto 16th, then W onto Austin, going toward Delridge. I’m guessing that means the Highland Park Way hill is closed, but a firsthand report would be better for confirmation.

Comment by Jen — 7:57 am January 19, 2012 #

40. High Point to SoDo, no problems. Minimal traffic. Slow & steady. Good luck.

Comment by Tony — 8:00 am January 19, 2012 #

41. I am on Highland PK wy and have had lights flicker a little too. I have flashlights and candles ready. Ice accumulated on the power lines and trees creates the probability of things snapping. Be ready for power outage. I am not going out in this stuff.

Comment by Steph — 8:04 am January 19, 2012 #

42. I said ice was coming.

Comment by jiggers — 8:06 am January 19, 2012 #

43. Had to make an early morning trip to office in lower Queen Anne and picked up a colleague on the way. So traveled California to Alaska to 35th to Holden. It’s pretty dicey – have a Subaru so did fine, but wouldn’t recommend driving if you don’t have a vehicle with AWD or front wheel drive. 99N is fine to Western. The bridge is okay. Had a few concerns about getting back up the hill, the Subaru didn’t miss a beat.

Comment by Kathy — 8:07 am January 19, 2012 #

44. Without actually walking over to the intersection of Highland Park way & SW Holden, HP Way looks open from what I can see. Cars going up/down without much issue. Also, 16th Ave SW is decent, as well as SW Holden. Slush on the surfaces but, as mentioned earlier buses are running fine. There is lots of snow piled up at the smaller residential cross streets. Give yourself plenty of time if you are pulling out on the 16th Ave as you may slip before you get to the clearer pavement.

Comment by DIzzle — 8:07 am January 19, 2012 #

45. That routing for the 23 is the snow re-route, so it doesn’t necessarily mean Highland Park Way is closed. I had no trouble getting up it late last night but there’s been a bit of precip since then.

Comment by datamuse — 8:17 am January 19, 2012 #

46. Has anyone been down admiral?

Comment by saney — 8:22 am January 19, 2012 #

47. I caught the 21 from 35th & Myrtle at 7:30. Had to wait about 30 mins for one to show up, but once it did the ride downtown was fine, it took about 45 minutes.

Comment by Tahna — 8:27 am January 19, 2012 #

48. Can anyone tell me how Thistle is to Calfornia and how California is(with hill) as it goes into Morgan Junction?

Comment by Susan D — 8:30 am January 19, 2012 #

49. 21 bus running but driver did not stop at thistle heading northbound. Probably afraid they could not restart up the hill. Walked to 35 and webster and hope next bus stops in the flatter zone.

Comment by Kg — 8:35 am January 19, 2012 #

50. Husband just called to say he made it from Fairmont Springs area to Issaquah. Took about an hour going slow and steady.

Comment by JLS — 8:37 am January 19, 2012 #

51. Great movie titled “The Ice Storm” debuted in the early to mid 90′s I am going to revisit it. Highly recommend it.

Comment by DF — 8:43 am January 19, 2012 #

52. I’ve had my car parked since the snow storm started in a 2 hr zone. Will I get ticketed? Who do I ask… Do I need to move it today? Worried about the ice. Only place to move it to is icier side streets.

Comment by junctioneer — 8:48 am January 19, 2012 #

53. left for work in Redmond around 6:00 Everything seemd fine. Harbor Drive was okay, WSB was a little sketchy and then I5 was Icey. the approach to the 520 bridge looked horrible and I turned around at Montlake and came home.

Comment by jg — 8:51 am January 19, 2012 #

54. My husband was getting stuck in the driveway just as he was getting the call that the office was closed! Bridge doesn’t look too bad from above, but I am glad not to be out in it.

Comment by Margie — 8:52 am January 19, 2012 #

55. Junctioneer – We asked that question yesterday and the city’s response was that parking enforcement will NOT be ticketing while “snow response” is under way, and certainly right now it still is. (If anyone sees or experiences anything to the contrary, please let us know as we will go to the same source and say … WHAT?) – TR

Comment by WSB — 8:52 am January 19, 2012 #

56. I’d offer ‘jiggers’ a cookie, but I’m not crossing town in these conditions.

Comment by randall — 8:55 am January 19, 2012 #

57. thanks K! somehow i missed that

Comment by sam-c — 8:56 am January 19, 2012 #

58. Renaissancered: I’d call Hopelink and find out about your ride to SCCA. I bet they’re backlogged. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Comment by RG — 9:11 am January 19, 2012 #

59. Having lived through two big snow storms in the 90s, I know how crazy things can get when snow and ice hit West Seattle. Certainly more traffic challenges, more snow than with past storms — but how beautiful it can be! Thanks, everyone, for sharing your photos. Wish I was there. Slow down, mi gente, and be safe.

Comment by WS expat — 9:20 am January 19, 2012 #

60. Flickering in Arbor Heights.

Comment by heylady — 9:21 am January 19, 2012 #

61. We just had some flickering in Highland Park.

Comment by ghar72 — 9:25 am January 19, 2012 #

62. any report on delridge to the bridge onramp?

Comment by brittany — 9:26 am January 19, 2012 #

63. flickering in Gatewood too

Comment by grew up in Fauntleroy — 9:27 am January 19, 2012 #

64. Drove downtown from Fauntlee Hills – left around 8:30. Our street looks like a blue ice street but surprisingly there was traction. Took Barton to 35th to the high bridge. Everything is white or slushy and looks in some cases, worse than yesterday when I also did this trip. That said, I did not skid or slide at all which I did a bit yesterday. There is better traction today. Driving an SUV with all wheel drive with winter driving tires. Downtown streets are slushy but not slick. Totally doable if you go slow and take it easy. Did not see any sign of the plow that is apparently dedicated to the bridge.

Comment by Alison — 9:30 am January 19, 2012 #

65. Anyone gone down Admiral? it is plowed? Conditions?

Comment by Admiral Lady — 9:38 am January 19, 2012 #

66. Just drove downtown from Highland Park in 20 minutes. Took 9th to Holden (Highland Park Way appeared open – saw three cars go down, but none coming up) to Austin/Dumar to Delridge. Had no problems. Then took WSB to I-5 to Seneca exit. WSB, I-5 and downtown streets are VERY slushy, but I didn’t feel that it was too slippery. I have a front wheel drive car.

Comment by Mark — 9:40 am January 19, 2012 #

67. Thanks for the seacam link! That is fantastic.

Comment by Hollyplace — 9:40 am January 19, 2012 #

68. the downtown central library is closed today..beware.

Comment by Jiggers — 9:41 am January 19, 2012 #

69. Anyone know how first hill is? I need to make it to Swedish around 11:30. Thanks!

Comment by redfoxx — 9:43 am January 19, 2012 #

70. I just drove from Cloverdale and Fauntleroy to Western and Denny. All the arterials are plowed and sanded/salted so they are just slushy. Traffic is moving at 25 mph and people were leaving plenty of room between cars. The worst part was getting the ice off my car and getting down the alley.

Comment by BB — 9:48 am January 19, 2012 #

71. Waited for 20 minutes for “the last” 37 of the morning before frostbite started to kick in. According to the One Bus Away app, it was on time. Not! I gave up and came back inside.

It just went by… an hour later than scheduled.
    Oh well, Ice Day for me!

Comment by wundrgrrrl — 9:55 am January 19, 2012 #

72. Hello fellow Cabin Fever Friends.
    Remember the birds and animals in this weather. We’ve watched a small flock of robins in Gatewood flying around looking for food.
    If you have birdseed or can leave out a pan of ice-free water, they will surely appreciate it.

Comment by Roger — 9:55 am January 19, 2012 #

73. Please remember, One Bus Away does NOT work during snow routing, it has been reiterated. Metro is still somewhere in the process of getting GPS, and then it will REALLY have actual “where is my bus?” coverage … Meantime, just heard there is a bus stuck in 4700 block of 35th SW (by The Mount), impeding other traffic. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:58 am January 19, 2012 #

74. Friends on Facebook are now saying it’s snowing heavily again in Lynnwood, Shoreline and Wallingford. Hope it’s not headed here again, although that would be preferable to more ice.

Comment by Sue — 10:02 am January 19, 2012 #

75. I was wandered out to Calif Ave in the Gatewood Hill area, looks like there is a 22 stuck coming up the hill. Cars were going around it. fyi Its in the 7350 block vicinity.

Comment by Franci — 10:02 am January 19, 2012 #

76. My husband left at 8:20 and got to work before nine (Sunrise Heights to Tukwila/Southcenter Area). He said 35th Ave was a little slick as well as the WSB to I-5, but if you take it easy its OK. He took the 4WD and we have snow chains JIC.

Comment by Kimberly — 10:04 am January 19, 2012 #

77. Roger, good idea! It’s nice to stay home and watch all the birds on my back (covered) porch. Suet and birdseed is going waaay fast since yesterday.

So far: junkos, chickadees, wrens, nuthatches, our local family of flickers, and I’m not sure, but a pair of thrushes (they look like a cross between a robin and a junko)? They are new this year. A dozen bushtits come by in the afternoon, stellar jays, and of course, there’s a big squabbling family of house finches. There’s an occasional lesser downy woodpecker, but haven’t seem the male/female pair in a while.

Comment by taz — 10:06 am January 19, 2012 #

78. I’ve got enough bird photos in queue I think we might make a “snow bird” gallery later. Even got a gorgeous owl shot last night via Twitter from our longtime sponsors at Illusions Hair Design – TR
    link: https://twitter.com/#!/IllusionsHairD/status/159882799707455489/photo/1

Comment by WSB — 10:07 am January 19, 2012 #

79. Planning on travelling through Seattle either tonight or tomorrow on my way to Portland – think this will all be washed away by this evening?

Comment by Mike Canuck... — 10:23 am January 19, 2012 #

80. Don’t forget the hummingbirds, they’ve been fluttering around Gatewood Hill looking for non-frozen nectar.

Comment by Oliver — 10:25 am January 19, 2012 #

81. What is “The Mount”? I’m worried about that stuck bus. I made it into the office this morning and I’m seriously thinking I should have stayed home (I live at 35th and Barton).

Comment by Amanda — 10:29 am January 19, 2012 #

82. Re: the hummingbirds, it’s helpful if you can keep one feeder filled and inside, so that if the outside feeder freezes you can swap them out quickly rather than having to melt the juice.

I sprinkled sunflower seeds on the ice/snow, along with the ones in the seed feeder and the suet, and there are juncoes, two types of chickadees, the requisite squirrel, nuthatches, hummingbirds, and Townsend’s Warblers all out there – along with an occasional Downy Woodpecker.

Thanks for remembering the chilly wild animals, everyone!

Comment by Trileigh — 10:41 am January 19, 2012 #

83. I drove down 35th, California, Admiral and back around to High Point from Lower Admiral going up Avalon on the way back…

All roads slushy but passable, saw normal cars doing okay. Front wheel drive with the cables or AWD seems to be going with zero problems.

Side streets are sheets of ice over snow with lots of build-up- stay away unless you’ve got some skills and the right vehicle.

Pedestrians are going slow, making it okay, but the sidewalks are fairly treacherous. Looks like a lot of businesses are closed…

Alki Mail is open though, very friendly people there! Good luck, everybody!

Days like this make me happy I’m a Jeep guy with big off-road Mud & Snow tires!

Comment by Cascadianone — 10:42 am January 19, 2012 #

84. *Crreeaaaaaaack!* Thanks to the ice, there goes one of the biggest branches on my Doug Fir…

Comment by Kelly — 10:42 am January 19, 2012 #

85. thank you roger & oliver – good reminder. We saw a hummingbird sitting in the snow yesterday moving really slow. We’ve broken the ice off the feeders and refilled for humming birds and regular feeders too.

Comment by raincity — 10:43 am January 19, 2012 #

86. Oliver & Trileigh, my feeder is out and ready; send ‘em over my way! In fact when the weather gets this cold I keep two feeders stocked (only hang one outside) so I can switch them out if they get frozen. Hey, I’m at home anyway… ;^)

Comment by Valerie — 10:45 am January 19, 2012 #

87. what’s the situation like on Barton?

Comment by curious — 10:46 am January 19, 2012 #

88. Gregoire announced we are in a State of Emergency.

Comment by Jiggers — 10:48 am January 19, 2012 #

89. For the hummingbird feeders, we also aim a clamp-on spotlight onto the feeder, it keeps the feeder from freezing over. Works well, esp in a semi-covered area. Send the hummingbirds our way.
    Also, earlier when putting out the feeder, one of our resident hummingbirds actually landed on the feeder to eat WHILE we were still trying to hang it! Poor creatures must be very hungry.

Comment by Roger — 10:50 am January 19, 2012 #

90. @taz – I think the thrush you’re seeing is probably a Varied Thrush. One just showed up at my feeders for the first time ever!

Comment by Trileigh — 10:50 am January 19, 2012 #

91. My friend made it down Barton to the mini mall there from up in Admiral in her front wheel drive car, no chains or special tires. So its passable, just not great.

Comment by Cascadianone — 10:52 am January 19, 2012 #

92. we made it to Highline hospital great by way of Delridge/ambaum. The ride home was dicier, as for some reason, it seems they are only plowing in the southbound direction. huge chunks and ruts northbound.

Comment by Kjb — 10:54 am January 19, 2012 #

93. So is 35th open? Or is it blocked? Anyone know? Thanks!

Comment by Melissa — 11:00 am January 19, 2012 #

94. Here in Gatewood, we have an active colony of Anna’s and have been looking after them, keeping the feeders thawed, free of ice/snow, putting out a few extra ones and keeping backups ready. Can’t think of a way to keep the Hummers dry and warm, but at least we can keep them fed.

Comment by Oneanne — 11:00 am January 19, 2012 #

95. My fancy hummingbird feeder froze and cracked between 730 when I put it out and 10 when I checked it again. Luckily I have a backup, but the hummingbirds don’t like it as much. Also, have had to thaw out my chicken waterer twice today.

Comment by oscardougal — 11:04 am January 19, 2012 #

96. Left at 8am from Arbor Heights.
    Took 35th to the bridge, all the way to North Bend.
    Made it fine except for the landslide past the Preston exit that made I-90 go to one lane.

Comment by Trick — 11:05 am January 19, 2012 #

97. Just tossed some bread bits down to some very cold, hungry looking Crows outside in my parking lot. Its all I had. They looked so miserable. They seemed to enjoy the free, easy to get grub though. One grabbed a couple of pieces, then flew up and landed on my balcony to eat it. I took that as a thank you.

Comment by Hockey Witch — 11:08 am January 19, 2012 #

98. Thanks, Trick, but I’m wondering if the bus that was stuck by the Mount has been moved and how that hill, southbound, is.

Comment by Melissa — 11:09 am January 19, 2012 #

99. @Taz: If it looks like a robin crossed with a junco, then i’d guess it’s a Rufus-sided Towhee. They have the black head, but are larger than a junco and have a red eye. We just saw a swarm of birds drinking the melted water on our hot tub cover. Water is hard to come by for them, obviously.

Comment by Kathleen — 11:11 am January 19, 2012 #

100. Watch out for those trees! We’ve had a couple of massive branches fall from ours already.

Comment by curious — 11:12 am January 19, 2012 #

101. Just went out for a few minutes to put out some water and food for the birds. It’s like a big creme brulee out there…snow still soft underneath with an icy crispy top.

Comment by O — 11:22 am January 19, 2012 #

102. Anyone know how 8th/9th off Roxbury is leading to Highland Park Way? What about west marginal way north and under the bridge headed towards Alki?

Comment by HPK — 11:22 am January 19, 2012 #

103. Tried catching a 37 bus today, waited 45 minutes and was 10 minutes early. Again, OneBusAway app said no delays for catching the 9am “last bus”- like @wundrgrrrl said. I was able to see the water taxi coming for me, so walked down and was able to hop on. Downtown Seattle streets are definitely ice slush and not just slush. Caught a bus to drive me further downtown, and the bus was still having issues to get going. Hoping the 37 bus can still take me home today! Any word on afternoon pickups?

Comment by Jennifer — 11:26 am January 19, 2012 #

104. Another tip on keeping hummingbird feeders thawed – those hand/feet warmer packets can work well. I especially like the toe warmers with adhesive backing.

Comment by Ann — 11:29 am January 19, 2012 #

105. My boss just told me that the 54 has now cancelled service to West Seattle. Has anyone heard this? I’ve been going through Metro’s information but can find anything clearly stating this. I live in Greenwood and don’t want to get on the bus up here if I can’t get to work in WS!

Thanks for all your coverage WSB – your hard work is appreciated.

Comment by Melissa — 11:43 am January 19, 2012 #

106. It’s still “raining” ice over here at the Dawson/California area. I recommend staying inside if you can – those big tree branches can kill a person easily. I had errands I was going to try to run on foot, but I’m deferring to safety and staying home. Ann – I love the practicality and visual silliness of the toe warmers. Please send a picture! I really want to see this in action. Has anyone lost power in WS?

Comment by Scooterista — 11:43 am January 19, 2012 #

107. Lots of birds at the feeder here, though they sure cleared out for a while after a hawk swooped in! First time I’ve ever seen a hawk hunt at my window.

Comment by soosan — 11:46 am January 19, 2012 #

108. Home depot has lots of deicer, snow scrapers and the like. Be careful getting in but they are here.

Comment by debbie — 11:54 am January 19, 2012 #

109. 40lbs of rock saltt for 5 bucks.worth every penny

Comment by debbie — 12:00 pm January 19, 2012 #

110. Hubby just waited an hour & a half for the 21 bus to downtown at 35th and Kenyon. Never came…never any buses in the other direction either.
    He just came home, missing first day of work in years!

Comment by kenyon — 12:01 pm January 19, 2012 #

111. Amanda, the “Mount” is the Providence Mount St. Vincent at the top of the hill on 35th & Edmunds, just up from Alaska st.

Mike

Comment by miws — 12:13 pm January 19, 2012 #

112. 3 54 buses just went by my house headed to the junction at 12:15. (California and Hudson)

Looks like the 54 is running.

Comment by KD — 12:16 pm January 19, 2012 #

113. For the 54 question … I have someone on Twitter saying they’ve just seen one on the move in Morgan Junction. And Metro says no, aside from the weather advisory, it has no word of any cancellations, it’s still going .. TR

Comment by WSB — 12:17 pm January 19, 2012 #

114. I do not see any notices on the Metro site about service to West Seattle ceasing. Has anyone else heard anything? I am working in Belltown and am wondering when I should try to leave work.

Comment by Tiff — 12:17 pm January 19, 2012 #

115. Onewaybus sucks!

Comment by Jiggers — 12:18 pm January 19, 2012 #

116. It’s like it’s raining tiny beebees outside right now. Smallest hail I’ve ever seen. It’s not coating anything, it’s just bouncing around.

Comment by mookie — 12:20 pm January 19, 2012 #

117. Thanks for clearing up the 54 question, working downtown and the 54 or 55 is my only plan for getting back home tonight.

Comment by Junctionite — 12:24 pm January 19, 2012 #

118. Any updated on the 125 or any other routes to Highland Park from downtown? My husband is at work, and I’d hate to tell our 2-year-old that Daddy can’t get home!

Comment by Rachel — 12:24 pm January 19, 2012 #

119. Made it to university district from south delridge in my 4WD, with a stop up the avalon hill to grab a cowworker – WSB is snow/slush/ice but passable, as well as I-5 (doesn’t even seem plowed) freeway and roads are covered…passable with AWD or 4WD. Saw some small cars out doing just fine on the main roads. Snow coming down here in the u-district though.

Comment by SJ — 12:24 pm January 19, 2012 #

120. I can see 9th from my window and it’s looking pretty good. I have not, however, been out to Highland Park Way today.

Comment by datamuse — 12:35 pm January 19, 2012 #

121. Has anyone taken the bridge to the viaduct recently?

Comment by Sarah — 12:42 pm January 19, 2012 #

122. Two buses now stuck on 35th at Alaska, and one stuck at 35th and Morgan, so be prepared for the obstacles.

Comment by elikapeka — 12:49 pm January 19, 2012 #

123. Left house 35th and Othello at 11am. Went to Target. Then took 35th to Bridge to I-5 to Federal Way. All was fine, but slow.

Comment by Steph — 12:55 pm January 19, 2012 #

124. Airport is moving except for my flight deicing truck slid into the plane…so much for getting out of town!

Comment by coffee — 12:57 pm January 19, 2012 #

125. 35th and Alaska is NOT on the snow route. Rogue driver perhaps?

Comment by Tiff — 12:58 pm January 19, 2012 #

126. taz-
    Varied thrush (striped face, heavy bird)? Or maybe spotted towhee (black or brown head, more slender than varied thrush).

Comment by Amalia — 1:00 pm January 19, 2012 #

127. California to Admiral to WSB to I-5 slow but passable. I-5 35-40mph. Looks like ice but wasn’t too bad (I tested it on Cali).

Just take you time and you will be fine.

Comment by watertowerjoey — 1:05 pm January 19, 2012 #

128. 21′s are going straight down
    35th — could be a
    21 that got stuck.

Comment by west Seattle since 1979 — 1:06 pm January 19, 2012 #

129. cable just went out in south Admiral

Comment by Diane — 1:11 pm January 19, 2012 #

130. Was putting off some shoveling hoping for warmer temps to melt it… then a piece of roof over our deck came down, BOOM. Quite the motivator for the shoveling! All done now, very heavy stuff. Hope all the trees don’t take too much of a beating in this… :(

Comment by birdgeek — 1:21 pm January 19, 2012 #

131. Hi All,
    Anyone know of current ( 1:30pm 1/19/12) driving conditions of Olson Place SW from White Center to 509? going up and/or going down. and 35th from bridge to 100th. and I will risk sounding like a pill and ask if someone is kind enough to post info, could they please state the approx time they drove that route? Thank you!
    and Thank you WSB for being there for all of us!

Comment by L@ArborHeights — 1:21 pm January 19, 2012 #

132. Hills downtown are still very icy. Just saw two trucks slip and slide going up Marion from 4th to 5th. These little ice pellets continue to stick to the streets.

Comment by work downtown — 1:22 pm January 19, 2012 #

133. Is Comcast down? Came back up.

Comment by chris — 1:23 pm January 19, 2012 #

134. Anyone have any idea if the shuttles are still operating on the West Seattle side? My plan to escape Pioneer Square is the Water Taxi.

Comment by Patrick (not THE Patrick) — 1:33 pm January 19, 2012 #

135. The afternoon coverage is now launched: http://westseattleblog.com/?p=98457
    Thanks again for all the firsthand updates – they are so helpful, not just here as everyone talks to each other, but also for the readers who never comment, and for our other “channels” (Facebook http://facebook.com/westseattleblog ) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/westseattleblog ) where I can quote reports from here, if similar topics come up – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:34 pm January 19, 2012 #