One-Night Count results: 2,594 without shelter countywide

January 27, 2012 at 9:38 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 10 Comments

9:38 AM: Between 2 and 5 am today, in below-freezing weather, 800 volunteers roamed King County for the annual One-Night Count of people sleeping outdoors. The results just announced: 2,594 men, women, and children were counted, “a small increase over those found without shelter last year,” according to the official post-count announcement, which explains that volunteers “counted people trying to survive in cars, tents, all night buses, select hospitals, or curled up in blankets under bridges or in doorways.” Guidelines for public discussion of the count do not allow specific locations to be reported, so we don’t know at this point if they visited the Nickelsville encampment in Highland Park, where one WSB Forums member who is a frequent visitor told us 90 people were staying as of a recent count. Last year’s countywide total was 2,442, and organizers also say it is perennially “an undercount of people without shelter on this night. Counters can reach only a portion of the geographic area of the county, and many homeless people sleep in hard-to-reach places.”

2:59 PM UPDATE: Here’s a breakdown of this morning’s count. There is no West Seattle category, but the list does mention 55 people counted in White Center.

1. They certainly didn’t find me. They don’t come to W.S.

Comment by jiggers — 9:49 am January 27, 2012 #

2. Jiggers – White Center was on their itinerary, but for Seattle, they wouldn’t get any more specific than “Seattle.” So you’re likely right, although their guidelines also called for trying very hard not to wake up the sleeping people they encountered – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:04 am January 27, 2012 #

3. I imagine a lot of you don’t know of the individual and all the better cause I have attempted to help and this person wants none. We have had in WS for decades a resident in our green banks graduated from a local high school. They seem to get along fine.

Comment by DF — 10:28 am January 27, 2012 #

4. If you are referring to me DF..you don’t know me I am sure of it. Only a couple of bloggers here have met me and know of my situation. I have been living in W.S. for over fifteen years and know every nook and cranny. I never went to school here at all either. I at one time was living in one of the best apartments with a magnificent view here, times have changed.

Comment by jiggers — 11:52 am January 27, 2012 #

5. What is the first initial of your name?

Comment by DF — 1:15 pm January 27, 2012 #

6. Not talking about you jiggers! Many of us know “who” DF is talking about.

Comment by rmp — 1:53 pm January 27, 2012 #

7. There are a lot more than one homeless person living in the green spaces of West Seattle…
    even if this count seems staggering..
    it is likely that most of those who live in our green spaces went undercounted last night.
    you pretty much have to know they are there to find them.

Comment by JoB — 6:42 pm January 27, 2012 #

8. Funny how few comments, compared to some other topics, this one recieved.
    And no discussions about helping.
    I realize some people choose this life, (by choosing I mean not taking the help offered or not actively trying to change the situation) while others have met with challenging circumstances and find themselves in this situation, and others that have sadly fallen through our mental health cracks. However is the lack of discussion a copeing mechanisim for not knowing how to help or simply an “If I don’t acknowledge it, it doesn’t exsist” attitude?

Comment by CD — 8:12 am January 28, 2012 #

9. Suggestions CD?

Comment by DF — 9:44 am January 28, 2012 #

10. I was a volunteer in White Center, but we were given a sector that was mainly residential neighborhoods. We looked in parks and churches, but we counted 0 in our area. If we missed you, I’m sorry.

Comment by Raf — 1:11 pm January 29, 2012 #