Followup: Missing Vashon man with Alzheimer’s found alive

January 28, 2012 at 3:42 pm | In Not WS but we're mentioning it anyway, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

Also just in via TwitterKing County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Sgt. Cindi West says the Vashon man who’s been missing since Wednesday (reported widely on Thursday) has “been found alive.” The Vashon/Maury Island Beachcomber has details, reporting 83-year-old Jack Randles was found at a home in the Luana Beach area (map).

4:42 PM UPDATE: From the Voice of Vashon Facebook page, a few more details, ahead:

He is alive and has been reunited with his family. He has a few bumps and scrapes but no apparent serious injuries. He will be checked at a hospital to be sure.

According to the King County Sheriff’s Office, Jack Randles wandered from his home on Wednesday night. He was not found over the next two days despite an intensive foot, car, helicopter and boat search. Saturday afternoon he was finally found.

It was a vigilant citizen who made the difference in this situation. According to one of the managers of the search effort, a woman checking her parents’ home in the Luana Beach area while they were on vacation found some signs someone might be in the house. She called 9-1-1. Deputies entered the house and found Jack in bed sleeping.

1. wow, this is fantastic news!!! thanks so much for posting it!

Comment by L — 4:44 pm January 28, 2012 #

2. Great news,an updated version of Goldilocks.Hope he stays put in the future.

Comment by Alki Resident — 5:12 pm January 28, 2012 #

3. Real life goldilocks:) im so happy for him
    and his family

Comment by Cclarue — 5:14 pm January 28, 2012 #

4. Wonderful news!!!!!

Comment by ad — 5:37 pm January 28, 2012 #

5. This makes my friggin day!! I have been so worried. Just…wow :)

Comment by MB — 5:44 pm January 28, 2012 #

6. YAY! I’m so glad he was found and is okay – we’ve been worrying about him!

Comment by RaindogPhoto — 5:49 pm January 28, 2012 #

7. What a resilient man. So glad he is home safe with his family.

Comment by seewhatsealionsstart — 6:03 pm January 28, 2012 #

8. Hurray!

Comment by newnative — 6:07 pm January 28, 2012 #

9. SO glad Mr. Randles has been reunited with his family, thanks to a wonderful community effort! We can totally relate, having a Mom with Alzheimer’s who found guardian angels after wandering far from home a couple of times! Our own guardian angels then came in the form of amazing King County Senior Services Caregiver Outreach folks, who helped us figure out critical next steps: http://www.seniorservices.org/getting_assistance/all_programs/caregiver.aspx
    Our lesson: Don’t wait for a crisis to take advantage of these truly wonderful resources!!

Comment by Across the water from Vashon — 7:05 pm January 28, 2012 #

10. This man is my Great Uncle but since I’m not involved with the family I just heard about his disappearance. I was thrilled to get a call from my mom (Jack’s niece) about 10 minutes ago letting me know he’s home resting with the rest of the family. All accounts are he’s ok & will be.

So you know, this is the only update I could find. Apparently the search was officially called off this morning & this lady happened upon him or went to check just in case he was there. Either way, I’m so happy she was in the right place at the right time.

I won’t speak for all the family members but I will say (for myself) thank you so much for writing about Jack & all of you for your kind words.

Comment by Jessie — 7:07 pm January 28, 2012 #

11. Thanks for the follow up and glad he is okay!

Comment by raincity — 7:10 pm January 28, 2012 #

12. Oh my gosh! I am SO happy to hear this news. Thanks WSB for keeping us up to date.

Comment by Jasperblu — 1:22 am January 29, 2012 #

13. Such a blessing that he is home safe =D!! Spent a long time praying for him, get some rest Jack!

Comment by MB — 12:18 pm January 31, 2012 #