West Seattle Christmas lights: Old-school Santa, reindeer, sleigh

We’re spotlighting decorated homes (or apartments/condos/businesses/etc. if you have any tips to share!) every night this holiday season. Tonight, it’s not the lights at this house so much as the old-school Santa, reindeer, and sleigh in the front yard. Not inflatable, not plastic, something sturdier. We just spotted this while driving around so we don’t know whose home it is, but it’s worth a visit, on 39th north of Andover (map). We’re listing all the spotlighted displays in the “Christmas Lights” section of the WSB West Seattle Holidays page, and while we’re going out scouting, we also welcome suggestions – we can certainly feature more than one per night!

14 Replies to "West Seattle Christmas lights: Old-school Santa, reindeer, sleigh"

• comment-avatar
    Stacy December 7, 2011 (9:16 pm)

Here’s the deal. My husband is reading these posts and adding lights every single day in hopes of making the blog…I told him if he does not stop we will not have enough for presents! ha!

• comment-avatar
    WSB December 7, 2011 (9:37 pm)

So we just have to drive around West Seattle in hopes of figuring out which one is yours?

• comment-avatar
    Dani December 7, 2011 (9:45 pm)

LOL yeah tell us! :)

• comment-avatar
    Jennifer December 7, 2011 (9:45 pm)

I’m guessing this photo depicts a home that’s still inhabited by the folks who lived on that block during the good ol’ Gays Bakery Holiday spectacular days. My mom drove us for miles no matter where we lived every single year to see it. My favorite was the entire Peanuts gang singing carols with Snoopy howling at the end. Please tell me someone else remembers this…?

• comment-avatar
    DD December 7, 2011 (9:51 pm)

My husband would love to be mentioned on WSB, but not until after the weekend. He’s shooting for over 9,000 lights this year – a mix of incandescant and LED’s. He started on Thanksgiving day and hopes to be done on Saturday.

4152 46th AVE SW

• comment-avatar
      WSB December 7, 2011 (10:08 pm)

Thanks, DD – we’ll check you out early next week, then! I already have one in the bag for tomorrow night but as I wrote, it would be great to get even more. We’re happy to get photos as well as addresses, but for the ones we have to shoot ourselves, just give us a moment or two before calling police on those weird-looking people sticking a camera out the car window in front of your home …
      P.S. to Jennifer – even though we’ve only been here 20 years, we remember the Gai’s house too. I’m an incurable Christmas-lights fan and have been happy to be able to incorporate it into my work for many years, including doing some scouting for “Pool’s Parade of Lights” when I worked at Ch. 4 … TR

• comment-avatar
    Patrick December 7, 2011 (9:53 pm)

The Christmas you save might be your own.

• comment-avatar
    Marie December 8, 2011 (3:34 am)

Thanks for doing this.We’re taking the grandkids for a drive this Saturday and you make it so easy not to waste our time and gas. We remember Gai’s too, used to take the kids there to see Santa. It was the only show in town!!

• comment-avatar
    gina December 8, 2011 (9:32 am)

I remember the Peanuts gang in that area. Pesky folks kept stealing different characters.

There is also a homemade Peanuts gang in a yard on 47th north of Admiral–or there was up through last year. Haven’t gone out on the light drive yet this year.

• comment-avatar
      WSB December 8, 2011 (9:40 am)

I suspect this year’s light crop will be better overall because of the dry weather. I’m adding a light strand a day (LEDs, finally gave in) till it rains!

• comment-avatar
    miws December 8, 2011 (11:00 am)

TR, narrow down your search by going to the 411 site and type in “Griswold” along with a West Seattle zip code. ;-)

Mike

• comment-avatar
    Jennifer December 8, 2011 (4:14 pm)

Haha! I spelled Gai’s wrong… G-A-I…’S … you know that it’s good when it’s Gai’s…

What a dork! ;-)

I’m glad people remember that. I took my kids when they were very little but it was already disappearing by then.

• comment-avatar
    julie December 15, 2011 (1:42 am)

hi, HI gal who lived briefly in seattle, very nostalgic to find this discussion. i’m viewing them all and scoping the maps trying to recall diff neighborhoods.

so what’s the biggest/most outlandish/most shocking one in the area? not necessarily in WS but seattle proper or north or wherever? my guess would be federal way, but what do i know.

we had one in honolulu with 30,000-some-odd lights for many years. giant speakers on the roof, animatronic santas, the whole shebang. and cars 2-3 miles backed up trying to get a peek!

the police finally got fed up, and that was that. now the family has one lone frosty!

LOL. the higher you stand.

• comment-avatar
    julie December 18, 2011 (9:27 pm)

for the record, news is reporting a house in NH with *1 million* lights!

i wonder what (where) the record is?

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann