West Seattle weekend scene: Diabetic-alert dogs’ Graduation Day

November 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | In Pets, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 9 Comments

At the Service Dog Academy north of Morgan Junction, today was Graduation Day for the newest class of diabetic-alert dogs – specially trained to alert their owners to a potentially dangerous drop in blood-sugar levels. Six dogs graduated this time around, two from West Seattle, and that’s who you see above - Ron with canine companion Spencer, Heather with Stella. Both Spencer and Stella are pit-bull mixes. Academy owner Mary McNeight says this is the fifth class of diabetic-alert dogs they’ve graduated since she launched the program.

1. congrats pup! these service dogs are amazing!

Comment by lina — 7:36 pm November 6, 2011 #

2. This is amazing, I did not that dogs could be trained to do this!! What a great story thanks for sharing.

Comment by Silly Goose — 7:38 pm November 6, 2011 #

3. Awesome !!!

Comment by wow — 11:37 pm November 6, 2011 #

4. Incredible. My late husband was type 1 diabetic. I could not sleep soundly for literally our entire married life, as I was always sensitive to his dangerous blood sugar drops in the night. It would have been life-changing if we could have been parents to one of these amazing pups. And for someone living alone, it could be life saving.

Comment by Franchescs — 12:05 am November 7, 2011 #

5. Amazing – congrats!

Comment by J — 11:02 am November 7, 2011 #

6. Is that Stella Blue?

Comment by K — 2:47 pm November 7, 2011 #

7. Yes, that is Stella Blue! =)

Comment by Heather — 3:07 pm November 7, 2011 #

8. My students have accomplished AMAZING things in the last 8 weeks. They deserve this wonderful recognition of their hard work. Thank you West Seattle Blog for helping me recognize these pit bull ambassadors and their owners!

Comment by Service Dog Academy — 10:17 pm November 7, 2011 #

9. Stella, you make my day whenever I see you. You are an amazing dog. Congratulations sweet girl!

Comment by Kris — 11:51 am November 9, 2011 #